Multivitamins

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, my bog-standard packet of multivitamins from Boots says on the back to consult GP first before taking them if you have diabetes (among other conditions listed) - anyone know why vitamins could be a problem?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do they have any kind of sugar listed in the ingredients?

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ahh - I've posted the link to the ones I have - and just checked, yes they do have maltodextrin in them too. I guess I'll have to find some that don't contain this. Thanks for your help.

I’ve never checked the vitamins I take, bit remiss of me! I’ve just looked and mine contain maltodextrin too :wideyed: However my last two HbA1cs were non diabetic so I’ll continue with them!
I suppose you could always test yourself before and after taking your vitamin dose?

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve never checked the vitamins I take, bit remiss of me! I’ve just looked and mine contain maltodextrin too :wideyed: However my last two HbA1cs were non diabetic so I’ll continue with them!
I suppose you could always test yourself before and after taking your vitamin dose?
I think I'll see if I can source any others without maltodextrin first but keep the pack just in case I can't, then will try testing myself with them as you suggest.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahh - I've posted the link to the ones I have - and just checked, yes they do have maltodextrin in them too. I guess I'll have to find some that don't contain this. Thanks for your help.

Eggs, do you need these supplements? What are your iron/ferritin levels like? Have you seen your full blood count levels? These tablets contain iron, which you can get from lots of different foods unless you have an absorption problem, and what you don't want is too much iron. Do you need vitamin C and those particular B vits? Have you got any deficiency symptoms or any reason to believe you are deficient?

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eggs, do you need these supplements? What are your iron/ferritin levels like? Have you seen your full blood count levels? These tablets contain iron, which you can get from lots of different foods unless you have an absorption problem, and what you don't want is too much iron. Do you need vitamin C and those particular B vits? Have you got any deficiency symptoms or any reason to believe you are deficient?
I don't have any reason to take them other than as a precaution as my calorie intake is relatively low at the moment - I'm doing a slightly higher calorie version of the Blood Sugar Diet and in the book he suggests taking a multivitamin. Bought the vitamins a while ago but hadn't taken them yet as saw the warning on the pack.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have any reason to take them other than as a precaution as my calorie intake is relatively low at the moment - I'm doing a slightly higher calorie version of the Blood Sugar Diet and in the book he suggests taking a multivitamin. Bought the vitamins a while ago but hadn't taken them yet as saw the warning on the pack.

You can ignore me totally because I am not a believer in supplements unless I know I need them. But that is me. I look at my blood results, and any not on there that I may have a problem with I have asked to be included next test. I also familiarise myself with symptoms of deficiency and make sure I'm not suffering any of them. However, I've never done an 800 calorie diet. The NHS Choices website lists all the vitamins and minerals, with information on the foods they are found in and how much it is safe to take. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/

Reactions: OrsonKartt
D

Deleted member 308541

I was put on them when I was in hospital four years ago.

I take Centrum Advance 50+ Multivitimins For Adults.

I cannot see any diabetes warning on the container, only warnings are if you are pregnant, thinking of getting pregnant to consult GP or Pharmacist for advice. This goes for or breast feeding as well.

There does not appear to be any sugar in them from what I have checked out, but as I take as directed with a meal ,any sugar will be lost amongst any other carbs.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was put on them when I was in hospital four years ago.

I take Centrum Advance 50+ Multivitimins For Adults.

I cannot see any diabetes warning on the container, only warnings are if you are pregnant, thinking of getting pregnant to consult GP or Pharmacist for advice. This goes for or breast feeding as well.

There does not appear to be any sugar in them from what I have checked out, but as I take as directed with a meal ,any sugar will be lost amongst any other carbs.
Thanks, I will take a look at them

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi all, my bog-standard packet of multivitamins from Boots says on the back to consult GP first before taking them if you have diabetes (among other conditions listed) - anyone know why vitamins could be a problem?
In case dr has you on b12 or potassium or iron or magnesium or vitd3 etc. Some vitamins are dangerous overdosed. VitA is one of them. Selenium too.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was told to take mine. VitD3 prescribed.

yakudueye1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sandwich and cold foods
I took multivitamins and for the first time I haven't been harassed by the flu ,cold and chest infection

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I took multivitamins and for the first time I haven't been harassed by the flu ,cold and chest infection

I started taking vitamins and zinc several years ago now when I seemed to spend every winter with end to end colds. I only seem to get them very occasionally now and even then they are very mild.