Keto diet for Type 1

Stonie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I’m Type 1 diabetic on a insulin pump I want to try the keto diet but don’t know how to start or if it’s suitable for a Type 1, I asked the dietitian and was told just eat less, I need to loss some weight as I have a fatty liver, can anyone give me some help advice please

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Can't really help from the Type 1 aspect being an unmedicated ketoing Type 2.
There is however a section for Type 1's on the www.ketogenicforums.com which it might be worth joining?
You can't view it without being a member. They are a friendly and knowledgable group who advocate science over dogma so you might find some support there?

Reactions: Stonie

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
type1keto.com

Also google for all videos of "Ian Lake diabetes"

And get a copy of Richard Bernstein book.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am T1 keto. I second and third recommend bernsteins book before even trying it.

Depending on your diet now and your insulin sensitivity/ resistance your insulin needs will most likely drop a lot. Loads of testing needs to be done.

Personally I dropped my insulin needs low enough on keto that I rarely fear hypos anymore and I feel much safer with keto

That being said, do your research, read Bernstein and tread carefully. It most certainly can be done but with extreme caution in the beginning. I thrive on it.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When a T1 switch to keto may be a VERY good time to invest in 4 weeks of libre usage.......

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Let's also be very clear here. The Bernstein approach is not a Keto diet. The percentage of protein as a macronutrient is too high to allow you to end up in Keto.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone doing the "Bernstein approach" measured their keytones on a meter, or had a lab test for them? (I expect the results will not be the same for everyone doing "Bernstein", as it may be a Keto diet for some people.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t DO Bernstein. I do keto. 20 or less aaTOTAL carbs. 40ish G protein and the rest fat

I love bernsteins laws of small numbers and small insulin doses. I pick things up all over the place and don’t DO any particular diet other than what works for me.

Reactions: Colsey_

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve got very positive ketones on my ketostix and I’m worried I’m going to get a telling off at my appointment next month when they do the urine. What’s the best way of defending my decision to do keto?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My doc told me i had ketones in my urine. I told him I eat keto and he just said “oh” and it was dropped. If he would have asked why I would have told him it keeps my bs much steadier.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My doc told me i had ketones in my urine. I told him I eat keto and he just said “oh” and it was dropped. If he would have asked why I would have told him it keeps my bs much steadier.
Thank you! That’s pretty much what I was planning on saying, but what I plan and what comes out of my mouth are two very different things.... one of the great joys of Asperger’s :rolleyes:

Reactions: Colin of Kent