1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Keto diet for Type 1

Discussion in 'Ketogenic diet forum' started by Stonie, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Stonie

Stonie Type 1 · Member

Hi I’m Type 1 diabetic on a insulin pump I want to try the keto diet but don’t know how to start or if it’s suitable for a Type 1, I asked the dietitian and was told just eat less, I need to loss some weight as I have a fatty liver, can anyone give me some help advice please

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Expert

Hi Can't really help from the Type 1 aspect being an unmedicated ketoing Type 2.
    There is however a section for Type 1's on the www.ketogenicforums.com which it might be worth joining?
    You can't view it without being a member. They are a friendly and knowledgable group who advocate science over dogma so you might find some support there?

• Like Like x 1
  3. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

type1keto.com

Also google for all videos of "Ian Lake diabetes"

And get a copy of Richard Bernstein book.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I am T1 keto. I second and third recommend bernsteins book before even trying it.

Depending on your diet now and your insulin sensitivity/ resistance your insulin needs will most likely drop a lot. Loads of testing needs to be done.

Personally I dropped my insulin needs low enough on keto that I rarely fear hypos anymore and I feel much safer with keto

That being said, do your research, read Bernstein and tread carefully. It most certainly can be done but with extreme caution in the beginning. I thrive on it.

• Like Like x 3
  5. ringi

When a T1 switch to keto may be a VERY good time to invest in 4 weeks of libre usage.......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Let's also be very clear here. The Bernstein approach is not a Keto diet. The percentage of protein as a macronutrient is too high to allow you to end up in Keto.

7. ringi

Has anyone doing the "Bernstein approach" measured their keytones on a meter, or had a lab test for them? (I expect the results will not be the same for everyone doing "Bernstein", as it may be a Keto diet for some people.

8. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I don’t DO Bernstein. I do keto. 20 or less aaTOTAL carbs. 40ish G protein and the rest fat

I love bernsteins laws of small numbers and small insulin doses. I pick things up all over the place and don’t DO any particular diet other than what works for me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’ve got very positive ketones on my ketostix and I’m worried I’m going to get a telling off at my appointment next month when they do the urine. What’s the best way of defending my decision to do keto?

10. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

My doc told me i had ketones in my urine. I told him I eat keto and he just said “oh” and it was dropped. If he would have asked why I would have told him it keeps my bs much steadier.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you! That’s pretty much what I was planning on saying, but what I plan and what comes out of my mouth are two very different things.... one of the great joys of Asperger’s :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook