1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Keto diet for Type 1

Discussion in 'Ketogenic diet forum' started by Stonie, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Stonie

Stonie Type 1 · Member

Hi I’m Type 1 diabetic on a insulin pump I want to try the keto diet but don’t know how to start or if it’s suitable for a Type 1, I asked the dietitian and was told just eat less, I need to loss some weight as I have a fatty liver, can anyone give me some help advice please

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Hi Can't really help from the Type 1 aspect being an unmedicated ketoing Type 2.
    There is however a section for Type 1's on the www.ketogenicforums.com which it might be worth joining?
    You can't view it without being a member. They are a friendly and knowledgable group who advocate science over dogma so you might find some support there?

• Like Like x 1
  3. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

type1keto.com

Also google for all videos of "Ian Lake diabetes"

And get a copy of Richard Bernstein book.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I am T1 keto. I second and third recommend bernsteins book before even trying it.

Depending on your diet now and your insulin sensitivity/ resistance your insulin needs will most likely drop a lot. Loads of testing needs to be done.

Personally I dropped my insulin needs low enough on keto that I rarely fear hypos anymore and I feel much safer with keto

That being said, do your research, read Bernstein and tread carefully. It most certainly can be done but with extreme caution in the beginning. I thrive on it.

• Like Like x 3
  5. ringi

When a T1 switch to keto may be a VERY good time to invest in 4 weeks of libre usage.......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Let's also be very clear here. The Bernstein approach is not a Keto diet. The percentage of protein as a macronutrient is too high to allow you to end up in Keto.

7. ringi

Has anyone doing the "Bernstein approach" measured their keytones on a meter, or had a lab test for them? (I expect the results will not be the same for everyone doing "Bernstein", as it may be a Keto diet for some people.

8. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I don’t DO Bernstein. I do keto. 20 or less aaTOTAL carbs. 40ish G protein and the rest fat

I love bernsteins laws of small numbers and small insulin doses. I pick things up all over the place and don’t DO any particular diet other than what works for me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’ve got very positive ketones on my ketostix and I’m worried I’m going to get a telling off at my appointment next month when they do the urine. What’s the best way of defending my decision to do keto?

10. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

My doc told me i had ketones in my urine. I told him I eat keto and he just said “oh” and it was dropped. If he would have asked why I would have told him it keeps my bs much steadier.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank you! That’s pretty much what I was planning on saying, but what I plan and what comes out of my mouth are two very different things.... one of the great joys of Asperger’s :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook