WHY is everyone getting Diabetes

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have had type 2 now for 7 years, my daughter has just been diognosed with type 2 and hypothyroidism and now my son in law has been told he has diabetes and has to have blood tests etc WHY is people getting it he is 6 foot odd and never been over weight and never had anyone in his family with it

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Something in our environment.
Like statins which I have decided after a doctor suggesting it to me are the cause of my T2.
The precursor if you like.
Tall slim active great diet with an entire lifetime of not snacking on crisps fizzy drinks sweets not having a sugar addiction and so on.
Chemical combinations in food that have never and can never be figured out in our food supply.
Handing the food supply to chemical/oil/drug companies can never have been a good idea and is increasingly being seen as bizarre.
Dementia in many guises is stalking the land and I'm sure must by now be at what officialdom call epidemic levels.
Are they owning it or keeping shtum?
COPD rocketing along with chest infections.
Just seen on the news that lung cancer is accelerating with a hundred lifelong none smokers a day dying from it.
Where's that coming from?
Blaming the victims doesn't hold true with me.
It has to be coming from our environment.

Reactions: Olufisayo

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Could 'not real foods' have something to do with it? The ready-meals, the meats/fish/fowl we consume that have been fed growth enhancing chemicals. The high carb/sugar sweets and deserts that are cheap and promoted and are addictive.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Could 'not real foods' have something to do with it? The ready-meals, the meats/fish/fowl we consume that have been fed growth enhancing chemicals. The high carb/sugar sweets and deserts that are cheap and promoted and are addictive.
You think ready meals are real food?
None of what you have mentioned there can be considered real foods.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Up to 20% of those people diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes are slim or thin. No one in my family going back three generations was T2 except me.

The causes or possible causes are, in my opinion, a mixture of things. The western diet that is so highly laden with cheap carbohydrates, pollutants that include herbicides and pesticides, chemically altered seed oils as in those used for cooking and as ingredients for processed foods, sedentary lifestyles and genetic predisposition.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
The current population gets more medical attention than prior generations did therefore more are being diagnosed. My ancestors could very well have had type 2 and not known it, because they didn't go to the doctors as often as we do.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
You think ready meals are real food?
None of what you have mentioned there can be considered real foods.
NO! I don't consider ready meals as 'real food'. My reply was probably a bit too obtuse.
'Real food' per se, in that there is a lack of it being consumed is part of the equation. As is the meat/fish/fowl in the food chain that has been fed growth enchancing chemicals.
I am well aware of the data that illustrate very well a link between diet, diabetes and obesity.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
The current population gets more medical attention than prior generations did therefore more are being diagnosed. My ancestors could very well have had type 2 and not known it, because they didn't go to the doctors as often as we do.
But diabetes has been diagnosed since ancient Egyptian times.
The doctor would have you pee near an ants nest and if the ants were attracted to the pee you were deemed diabetic.
Clever those people back then even using penile catheters on men who were having problems.
The catheter being a hollow reed.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Funny thing is back when the earths population was tiny and we were hunting much of our food the air was clean and the water was fresh we were dead before we hit forty.
Now everything is toxic we are living longer than ever.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
NO! I don't consider ready meals as 'real food'. My reply was probably a bit too obtuse.
'Real food' per se, in that there is a lack of it being consumed is part of the equation. As is the meat/fish/fowl in the food chain that has been fed growth enchancing chemicals.
I am well aware of the data that illustrate very well a link between diet, diabetes and obesity.
Sorry it's the way I read it.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Up to 20% of those people diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes are slim or thin. No one in my family going back three generations was T2 except me.

The causes or possible causes are, in my opinion, a mixture of things. The western diet that is so highly laden with cheap carbohydrates, pollutants that include herbicides and pesticides, chemically altered seed oils as in those used for cooking and as ingredients for processed foods, sedentary lifestyles and genetic predisposition.
I also read that the Teflon pans that my Mother used, not only promoted diabetes, but actually changed genes making further generations more susceptible to diabetes. I bet a lot of those herbicides and pesticides did the same. This doesn’t excuse the impact of processed foods and high fructose corn syrup but, when all combined, helps to explain the continually rising rates of diabetes.

dwnunder

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Big mouths
I was listeniing to a talk that Aseem Malhotra the cardiologist was giving on statins and he said that 1 in 100 can get diabetes from statins. All the research on statins has always been done by the people that make them so any adverse effects are never going to be published. I was put on them and stopped talking them just after christmas and I refuse to take them ever again.

Reactions: Gannet

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I also read that the Teflon pans that my Mother used, not only promoted diabetes, but actually changed genes making further generations more susceptible to diabetes. I bet a lot of those herbicides and pesticides did the same. This doesn’t excuse the impact of processed foods and high fructose corn syrup but, when all combined, helps to explain the continually rising rates of diabetes.

My own pet theory is that our western diet has evolved faster than we have. We are just not designed to function on the sheer amount of carbohydrates in todays foodstuffs.

As to the comments made about our ancestors not knowing that they may have had T2, their diet was different and their level of activity was different. And ancient humans lived in different habitats and they could live far beyond forty years.
One last point, Diabetes was, indeed, known and recorded by the ancient Greeks but that would have been Type 1. Later, much later, T2 was known as sugar diabetes and the differences, even back then, were known.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was listeniing to a talk that Aseem Malhotra the cardiologist was giving on statins and he said that 1 in 100 can get diabetes from statins. All the research on statins has always been done by the people that make them so any adverse effects are never going to be published. I was put on them and stopped talking them just after christmas and I refuse to take them ever again.

I admire Aseem Malhotra very much. You have to listen to those who are brave enough to put their heads above the parapet and rage against dogma. Malhotra, Sikaris, Kendrick amongst others risk their reputations, their carreers and their livelihoods to bring the truth to us. In the same way but for slightly different reasons Noakes, Gerber, Lustig and Fung do sterling work for we the little people.

I highly recommend a short video on 'The Wisdom of Crowds' on youtube. This explains how and why the little people are learning and teaching each other to make the critical changes to combat dogmatic thinking by the Big Boys.

Sorry, didn't plan on a rant!

Reactions: dwnunder

dwnunder

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Big mouths
I admire Aseem Malhotra very much. You have to listen to those who are brave enough to put their heads above the parapet and rage against dogma. Malhotra, Sikaris, Kendrick amongst others risk their reputations, their carreers and their livelihoods to bring the truth to us. In the same way but for slightly different reasons Noakes, Gerber, Lustig and Fung do sterling work for we the little people.

I highly recommend a short video on 'The Wisdom of Crowds' on youtube. This explains how and why the little people are learning and teaching each other to make the critical changes to combat dogmatic thinking by the Big Boy

Thats not a rant you are just saying it the way it is, and I thank all the Doctors who are putting their necks out and helping us to get back to better health. The big pharmas certainly don't have our health in mind only their pockets. Will check that video out that you mention. thank you for posting.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
We read stuff like the following all the time .....

Aids diabetes management

Sage possesses compounds known to mimic the drugs typically prescribed for managing diabetes. As such, it appears to regulate and inhibit the release of stored glucose in your liver, which balances your blood sugar, helping to prevent Type 2 diabetes or assist in managing the condition if already present.

Authors of a study published in the British Journal of Nutrition17 said, “ts effects on fasting glucose levels … and its metformin-like effects … suggest sage may be useful as a food supplement in the prevention of Type 2 diabetes mellitus by lowering the plasma glucose of individuals at risk.”

Most of us a far removed from a life of fresh produce.
We are of the earth we should be as close to it as possible maybe.
We don't have lawns at my house we have chickens and vegetables.
I cringe when I see a manicured lawn.
Dig your lans up and get veg and herbs growing.
Think of getting some chickens too.
You will have stepped back and become closer to the earth that nurtures us in return for us nurturing it.
My wife has planted a small orchard too with treees and bushes.
Can't get any fresher and no chemicals.

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.

I am not overweight but my mother was diabetic. She lived to be 83 on meds. She led an active and positive life. If I may add too, I read on another forum that the stress which some of might have passed through in the past could have triggered the condition.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
well to my knowledge we have not had diabetes in our family, my mother is 92 and she can not remember anyone having it in the family either...now My brother has it , I have it , my daughter now has it and her husband who is 6 foot odd and very slim...neither of them take statins or any other medication so has to be in the food we eat or could damp and fungus growing in houses that are damp cause it

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
well to my knowledge we have not had diabetes in our family, my mother is 92 and she can not remember anyone having it in the family either...now My brother has it , I have it , my daughter now has it and her husband who is 6 foot odd and very slim...neither of them take statins or any other medication so has to be in the food we eat or could damp and fungus growing in houses that are damp cause it
That would be a lot of damp houses.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
It would be great if we could get back to nature, but I can't see it happening it seems like we mess our very finely tuned bodies up and then find a treatment to reverse the problem it would be great if we could stop the the problem in the first place but I can't see it happening soon.