What does alcohol do to you?

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm interested in others experiences with alcohol and what happens for you guys.
Obviously im pretty new to this.. when diagnosed at xmas i was super wary and didnt really drink anything.
I have now found red wine doesnt really do anything to my levels, i dont drop overnight or the next day (even after a bottle and a half of wine). yesterday i had a 4 bottles of bud.. again - minimal rise and no drop after... is this the norm?
I keep expecting to have a horror story to tell after a night on the sauce ?? Am i fooling myself into complacency?

Reactions: RAPS_od

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Gosh you do do pretty well for consumption, I'd be on the floor!
Generally alcohol isn't too bad when it comes to carbs. Beer comes in at about 2.2g/100g, I've no data for lager, and red wine is pretty low. The one to avoid is sweet white wine as it can be up to 5.9g/100g. Spirits have next to no carbs, unless you consume them with a mixer.

Reactions: RAPS_od and hankjam

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Generally, with most drinks I've ever consumed I have a slight rise and then crash a few hours later. My sugars then continuously drop over the next 24 hours. Not sure why this happens but it always does.

Reactions: RAPS_od

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only do light beer (Coors Light is big around here probably not there in the land of Guinness Stout) or red wine and they don't mess up my blood sugar at all.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
At Christmas my wife and I had a LCHF meal and half a bottle of wine each (we now both rarely drink). I put on 2 kg and my non-diabetic wife 1.5 kg, which is close to our mass difference. It is strange as we both lost the weight really quickly.

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Only thing I notice is that you get drunk much quicker. I started low carb a year ago, upon diagnosis. No booze for 3 months, then a works night out. I was asleep in the toilets by 10pm. Mortifying!!

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Add a few hours sounds like a standard works night out ;)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
BIG fan of Coors .... they kill Budweiser, Michelob and anything else on the American market

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I’m quite partial to a coors (and light). Tried bud light the other week.. 1 is ok but anymore was awful!

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I spike quite high on lagers (if more than a couple with a meal) and then the cruise downwards that needs tailing off by morning with a nutri grain* bar. A biscuit before sleep too if it's gotten to the stage where I've cracked the whiskey open.

Can't tell you about what happens with wine - nasty stuff to be avoided according to my taste buds.

*Other sugary breakfast replacement bars are available.

Reactions: h4kr

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs
I'm interested in others experiences with alcohol and what happens for you guys.
Obviously im pretty new to this.. when diagnosed at xmas i was super wary and didnt really drink anything.
I have now found red wine doesnt really do anything to my levels, i dont drop overnight or the next day (even after a bottle and a half of wine). yesterday i had a 4 bottles of bud.. again - minimal rise and no drop after... is this the norm?
I keep expecting to have a horror story to tell after a night on the sauce ?? Am i fooling myself into complacency?
Just had 5 goin and slimline tonic and BG plummeted to 1.4.

Recovered now. First drinks since being diagnosed!

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow!! That’s the horror story I’m worried about!
Did someone help you, or was you ok to sort yourself?
I hit 1.9 a few weeks back and had stars and sit down.. really thought I was about to collapse.

lalacakez

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lucky when i drink my sugar goes high then I crash I'm also a light weight so i watch myself more better now always have an alarm for 12 or 1 in the morning check my sugar and eat and drink juice cause I'm low my horror story I drank to much my bf was dropping me off home and I started to slur my words and shake In the seat he pulled over freaking out checked my blood sugar grabbed a Powerade from the back and shoved it into my mouth and you know that weird feeling you get like a rush in your body from the sugar almost like a sugar rush but like a shock of life back into your body I get that all the time when I'm low

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs
Wow!! That’s the horror story I’m worried about!
Did someone help you, or was you ok to sort yourself?
I hit 1.9 a few weeks back and had stars and sit down.. really thought I was about to collapse.
Unfortunately I had no symptoms.

I just thought I'd check before I went to bed as it was the first time I'd gone drinking since being diagnosed.

Good excuse for the late night nibbles....

I.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
That is too low @BigIain ... might be a blip, might be the sudden good results, might be a huge reaction to your lifestyle change. Whatever, keep a CLOSE eye on that

Last edited:
Reactions: BigIain

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs
That is too low @BigIain ... might be a blip, might be the sudden good results, might be a huge reaction to your lifestyle change. Whatever, keep a CLOSE eye on that
I sure am keeping an eye on it

Thanks

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I enjoy a glass or two of wine with dinner and that seems to have no effect. However if it’s a party night I make sure my blood glucose is about 10 before bed at I can hit a low about 4 am after drinking. In my introduction to T1 course they said everyone needs to let their hair down now and then but after a heavy night out grab a kebab on the way home! Rotfl! I asked if you could get them on prescription. Apparently not!

Reactions: RAPS_od and h4kr