Epsom Salts & DIABETES

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
the following is a quote from an email I received extolling the virtues of Epsom Salts

experience the (primary laxative) benefits of the salt. Crucially, Epsom salt is a mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate, and with its pain-relieving, blood sugar regulating, stress-reducing benefits

Now my Father sung the praises of this product as a Laxative, But a regulator for Blood Sugar is something I find hard to believe Does anyone no of any evidence/research which might justify this claim or indeed personal experience

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the following is a quote from an email I received extolling the virtues of Epsom Salts

experience the (primary laxative) benefits of the salt. Crucially, Epsom salt is a mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate, and with its pain-relieving, blood sugar regulating, stress-reducing benefits

Now my Father sung the praises of this product as a Laxative, But a regulator for Blood Sugar is something I find hard to believe Does anyone no of any evidence/research which might justify this claim or indeed personal experience
I use them for a foot bath as a way of getting magnesium and relaxation they work that way definitely and would recommend, know others who bath in them. I do find stress puts my bgs up and relaxing after a foot bath puts them down ! So in my personal experience yes and they are cheaper than magnesium supplements.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"
While Epsom salt baths can be relaxing, they are not recommended for people with diabetes. Epsom salt is made up of magnesium sulfate. Why does that matter? When Epsom salts are added to a warm bath, some magnesium can be absorbed through the skin, causing an increased release of insulin, leading to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

What about just soaking your feet? This is still not recommended. People with diabetes tend to have poor circulation to their feet and toes, making it hard for sores and wounds to heal. Soaks can cause dryness and irritation to the feet and can lead to cracking and infection. These are perfect sources for bacteria to invade, causing infection. Always try to avoid products that may dry out your skin or cause irritation, and always talk to your doctor before trying new products. "

http://www.emedtv.com/managing-your...ve-diabetes,-can-i-take-epsom-salt-baths.html