1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Sheffield University are conducting a study on food and activity logging among people with type 2 diabetes. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Epsom Salts & DIABETES

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by bangkokdiabetic, Feb 14, 2018 at 5:25 AM.

1. bangkokdiabetic

bangkokdiabetic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

the following is a quote from an email I received extolling the virtues of Epsom Salts

experience the (primary laxative) benefits of the salt. Crucially, Epsom salt is a mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate, and with its pain-relieving, blood sugar regulating, stress-reducing benefits

Now my Father sung the praises of this product as a Laxative, But a regulator for Blood Sugar is something I find hard to believe Does anyone no of any evidence/research which might justify this claim or indeed personal experience

2. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use them for a foot bath as a way of getting magnesium and relaxation they work that way definitely and would recommend, know others who bath in them. I do find stress puts my bgs up and relaxing after a foot bath puts them down ! So in my personal experience yes and they are cheaper than magnesium supplements.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #2 shelley262, Feb 14, 2018 at 8:38 AM
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 8:45 AM
  3. Jenniewren1958

Jenniewren1958 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Was told to Epsom salts in bath after having baby many years ago

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

"
    While Epsom salt baths can be relaxing, they are not recommended for people with diabetes. Epsom salt is made up of magnesium sulfate. Why does that matter? When Epsom salts are added to a warm bath, some magnesium can be absorbed through the skin, causing an increased release of insulin, leading to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

What about just soaking your feet? This is still not recommended. People with diabetes tend to have poor circulation to their feet and toes, making it hard for sores and wounds to heal. Soaks can cause dryness and irritation to the feet and can lead to cracking and infection. These are perfect sources for bacteria to invade, causing infection. Always try to avoid products that may dry out your skin or cause irritation, and always talk to your doctor before trying new products. "

http://www.emedtv.com/managing-your...ve-diabetes,-can-i-take-epsom-salt-baths.html

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook