What Would Count as a Cure for Type 2?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Consultant Endocrinologist said it’s a miracle and I’m now in “remission” and it all happened in just over 4 months!

The miracle is not that it works. It has been known for decades that it works.

The miracle is that there are still people who are able to overcome all the decades of misinformation and misdirection regarding fats, fasting and ketosis.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
One thing i would say, once one truly is " fat adapted" which I think I now am, when I do have a carb heavy meal, my blood sugars go a bit haywire for a few hours, but the ketosis carries on going and the following day the hunger pangs do not reappear - so my system now truly does just think its a fat burner and the carbs are a side show. very gratifying !
I want to be a fat burner

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I want to be a fat burner

well - I don't think there is any reason why you can't be- you need to restrict your carbs to under 30g ( maybe under 20g) and it will come - obviously as a t1 using insulin - you need to do that VERY carefully with the help of your doctor!

Reactions: SueJB

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
So what would count as a "cure"?

As a type II with "normal" insulin production but not so good insulin resistance (measured at 2.4 a year ago and 1.7 last August) I would have said that if I could eat the amount of carbs recommended (1/3 of calories, so about 250 gms) and have BG return to "normal" rapidly, that's cured.

I've felt for a long time that my body just couldn't cope (never could cope) with the carbs I was giving it. I've recently read an article somewhere where they talk about "carbohydrate intolerant" in much the same way as we talk about lactose or gluten intolerant. Kind of makes sense I think.

Reactions: lindijanice

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a devout Christian, I had plenty of prayers, healing for the sick and anointing of oil in our church.

Strong faith and belief in what our God can do are also important to get healed.

“Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord.”
From my own experience it seems a low carb diet works for devout atheists as well.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For years we have been sold the story " you are what you eat" - whereas I think we should have been told " you are what your body makes of what you eat " and actually it is carbohyrdates that create fatty deposits in the blood stream not fat intake. This actually makes perfect sense- if you eat excess fat then your body really doesn't need to do much work to convert it into fat. any excess carbs you eat must be converted into fat to be stored in the body - so the more carbs you eat the more fats you end up with in the blood stream etc etc.

THIS!

I agree, and the way I've been looking at my diet has been shaped by looking at it from a kinda engineering principle. So what happens to the food I eat, and what are the homoestatic & metabolic processes involved? Especially as with us, one (or more) of the processes are broken, or need a lil help.. Which is mostly about lipid management, either encouraging the consumption of them via ketosis, or discouraging the creation/deposition with excess carb consumption.. And traditionally, it's been a 'normal' and healthier diet.

I also agree with the 'Mediterranean' comment about the tomato/onion/garlic trinity making most things taste good.. especially with some bell peppers/scotch bonnet thrown in for a bit of zing! Oh.. and I love Malta.. Bonus points for you if you can resist the traditional Maltese breads :)

As for 'cure', I guess for me that would be whether I'd produce a 'normal' response to a glucose tolerance test. I'm curious whether beta cells can recover/normalise and we can end up with a 'healthy' insulin response.