How does IF effect FBG?

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Calling all fasting gurus! I'd really like to have a go at doing the odd day of intermittent fasting, but I am wondering, will this make my fasting bloods higher? I get a liver dump when I wake up and if I don't eat breakfast my bg keeps rising, especially if I'm busy rushing around. Should I care about this? Or would it be better to skip dinner rather than breakfast to help avoid this? Thanks for any tips anyone can give.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All of us are a little different. My own experience is that by skipping 2 dinners in a row...my fasting BG reach 5.5 mmol from 7-8 mmol. And it had remained stable around 5.5 mmol ever since. Every time my fasting BG cross 6 mmol, I will intermittent fast for a day or 2 to reset it back to 5.5 mmol.

The longest fast I had was 5 days. That set the fasting BG down to 4.5 mmol. But it only stayed around 4.5 mmol for about a week. After which it rises back to 5.5 mmol.

For many, dinner is a social, family time, so may find it easier to IF by skipping or having late breakfast. Your mileage may vary...

Reactions: eggs11

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes we do! Sorry I missed this thread or would not have started a new one. So it seems that there is no solution other than to eat something to stop the rise. Which is strange as so many people seem to benefit from fasting and I can only assume a proportion of them suffer from liver dumps as it is a common issue for diabetics. I wonder how they manage it.

oldsle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to have that problem too. I skip breakfast every day, but you can always have things like coffee and bone broth. They won't break your fast, and that might make a difference. Are you on any medication?

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
lhave. I read that the second cause of the second type of diabetes is the liver problem
I'm not a doctor but I think. Biguanidos is the right solution for this

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have that problem too. I skip breakfast every day, but you can always have things like coffee and bone broth. They won't break your fast, and that might make a difference. Are you on any medication?
Thanks - not on any meds so far. I know metformin can help with liver dumps, but just treating with diet at the moment.

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @eggs11 i have been fasting for the past 5 months on an IF basis. I started with IF 23/1 - one meal a day for a month. I did have probs with Dawn Phenomenon in beginning but found that adding some cream to my morning coffee stopped the rise continuing. However the longer I went on with IF the lower all my readings got. After a month of one meal a day I moved to IF one meal a day two days a week. Now I do iF 18/6 with two meals most days but always have coffee with cream and inulin first thing. Blood glucose now is 4.9 on average so for me it was a good method to stick with. I eat lCHF for the two meals I eat. Hope this helps.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@eggs11 please how can I start a new thread/topic? thanks. I am new to this forum :)

Hi @SZB2357 ,

Welcome to the forum.

There is a green button at the top right of each sub section of the forum that says "post new thread." For your own topic!
If you have a problem? Let me know. I or a team DCUK member can help.

Regards,

J>

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @eggs11 Blood glucose now is 4.9 on average so for me it was a good method to stick with. I eat lCHF for the two meals I eat. Hope this helps.
Thanks that's interesting to hear how it did start lowering for you with perseverance. I'm not a coffee drinker and someone also suggested bone broth, but I'm pretty much veggie, but maybe I could just have a couple of nuts or a small piece of cheese and see if that works.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks that's interesting to hear how it did start lowering for you with perseverance. I'm not a coffee drinker and someone also suggested bone broth, but I'm pretty much veggie, but maybe I could just have a couple of nuts or a small piece of cheese and see if that works.
Maybe cheese better than nuts as nuts have some carb and may break the fast - or how about cream in tea? I know that @Goonergal who also fasts regularly has cream in tea rather than coffee. I think you need to be careful that whatever you have isn’t carb. Dr Feung only suggests cream or broth. If you find cream in tea odd maybe adjust by watering it down?
I have also seen others who IF in a slightly different way - with a meal at breakfast a long break and then dinner- but I found the longer period of fasting effective for me. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @SZB2357 ,

Welcome to the forum.

There is a green button at the top right of each sub section of the forum that says "post new thread." For your own topic!

Regards,

J>

Thanks for your quick response. I can't see 'Post New Threads' green button anywhere on the top of the page although others are visible....like 'Recent Posts' 'Unanswered Threads' etc.

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @SZB2357 ,

Welcome to the forum.

Regards,

J>

was looking at the top of this page and you had said sub-section.....finally reached it. :)

Reactions: Jaylee

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am not in any way an expert, nor have I researched intermittent fasting, but.....
I can't help but feel that the best approach to controlling an issue of metabolic control/energy storage (which is what diabetes is), is to minimise the stress on the system - that is, to digestively create a small amount of glucose (no more than your body needs over the course of a day) little and often. This ought to minimise the amount of insulin and glucagon needed and therefore the amount of glycogenesis in the liver. I'm not sure how intermittent fasting would help in this process - surely you are just encouraging erratic glycogenesis? Does anyone have a theory about how this might help?