Type 2 Bodybuilding and Diabetes

Altaf_7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What is your aim with bodybuilding?

It was my childhood dream to get into bodybuilding... but last year at the age of 19 I was diagnosed with this diabetes maybe because of overeating and being overweight ...however I decided even with this condition I am going to go for it and I decided to cut on all carbs but I am lil confused whether I should take whey protein or not?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The issue is that the diets many bodybuilders use to win competitions is not good for anyone with Type2. Yet the gym work they do, combined with a high protein diet can greatly reduce insulin resistance, and hence help control Type2.

By keeping to a low carb, high protein diet, along with the gym work, you could do bodybuilding to a level that impresses all your friends etc........ (Just avoid all the "magic" shakes etc, and keep to the steak and eggs.)

Reactions: Altaf_7

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was my childhood dream to get into bodybuilding... but last year at the age of 19 I was diagnosed with this diabetes maybe because of overeating and being overweight ...however I decided even with this condition I am going to go for it and I decided to cut on all carbs but I am lil confused whether I should take whey protein or not?
Absolutely go for it!!!

No-one can answer your question about whey protein until you give details about your blood sugar levels and what you are eating at present. What tests have you had? Are you doing finger prick testing with a meter at home? When I first arrived on this Forum I was afraid of boring people if I gave too much detail. From the very first replies I got I realised that the more detail given the better people are pleased and the better we can help.

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I train daily since being diagnosed I take matrix anabolic gold being low carb doesn’t effect my levels one bit but everyone reacts differently I prefer to go the gym first thing in a fasting mode (can get away with the protein shake) which I found does not effect my levels and they stay stable why I train I do mainly circuit training I found out this advice searching best way to train with diabetes

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Forgot to add I tried training at tea time or after dinner basically after I’d had food and my levels were up and down throughout the session

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
As with managing diabetes I do almost the opposite of what is the mantra of the many do. I do know other protocols work also. Here is mine, I purposefully am not interested in gaining a significant size, but just tweaking my frame:

Objectives:
  • Drop Fat
    • Particularly Visceral
    • Subcutaneous fat reduction to reveal six pack (I set this as a main goal to bring the focus away from just blood sugar, as to achieve a 6 pack, body fat needs to be under 10%, which again helps diabetes (I also have a future plan))
  • Build Muscle
    • Improve Glucose Control without much insulin (GLUT4 uptake)
  • Improve General Fitness

Before Workout (cardio or weights)
Drinks (hot lemon and lime), 2 black filter coffees. Eat nothing

During Workout (Cardio)
  • As early as possible walk in 1 go 10,000 steps where possible, with 200 pushups (various protocols either 1 x 50, 6 x 25, or 4 x 25, 5 x 20) (* this has torched fat last couple of weeks. I know it is the addition of pushups as it is the variable change which coincides with massive change in fat loss - must be the overall challenge on the body of cardio and resistance within the same time frame). I do between 5 and 7 miles listening to health related podcasts at around 80% max)
During Workout (Weights HiiT minimal rest circa 15 minutes)
  • Compound Exercises
  • All major muscle groups
After workout
Eat nothing until meal-time

I try to walk after my meal between 1 and 2 miles might do a few compound dumb bell exercises

Eating Protocol
LCHF (maybe Keto, I don't measure, but I think the amount of nuts I have may push me into LCHF).

The above is what I have built up to. It was important for me to transition from low GI 3 meals a day, to LCHF 3 meals a day. I felt too full, so eventually have gone to two meals (still too full) and now one meal a day, either 5 or 6 times a week (it would be 7, but I do breakfast business networking). As I have 1000's of calories of fat, this is why I am not hungry and need to eat every 3 to 6 hours like some of the other protocols. I am definitely fat adapted as I don't run out of energy anymore either (energy loss during low GI phase, so had seabass after evening long walk on occasions).

I drink a couple of centimeters of apple cider vinegar neat (but now quickly washed down with some water, then I wash my mouth out - acidity due to the acidity of the acv).

Typical mains (I try to have 50% vegetables on the plate, and some times have a side plate with more)
3 Meals.jpg

I will then have a bowl of mixed nuts (circa 700 calories worth, again sometimes I get more) and maybe a low carb further dessert of some berries and yogurt (sometimes cheese). I have 2 table spoons of mixed seeds and a couple of level spoons of peanut butter to hide ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg .

I take no supplements, protein shakes or anything other than what I have at dinner.
This is worth a look regarding protein supplementation:

I use 3 scales, but my today measurements I think are off due to timing (normally I measure during the and that I was circa 23 hours into my fast (more on the fast in separate thread). Here are some of my stats.:

Nokia (Withings,
(I don't believe the FAT mass of 5.4, but my Tanita is say 6.5, and Fitbit 9 (but on the main dashboard 8.1, so I am happy to go with 9):

Nokia.jpg

Fitbit
(in line with my other scales my weight is up, body fat under 10%

Fitbit.jpg

Tanita Scales:
Fat Mass 6.5%
Visceral fat: 4.5%
My visceral fat was 7% last June so I am over the moon with the 4.5 (OMAD definitely played its part as well).

Taken after a training session just under 2 weeks ago, so optimum. I wanted to achieve this before I was 50, so it took a disappointing last A1c last December to push on):

DB6TrousersReduced.jpg

Summary:
  • LCHF (maybe Keto sometimes)
    • No supplements, no pre or post workout routines apart from warm up / down and stretching
  • OMAD
  • HiiT
  • 90 day FBG 3.9
I have heard good things about these guys https://ketogains.com/coachingconsulting/boot-camps/

Edited to clean up.

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My goodness! SUCH an impressive photo!!! I hope you are pleased with yourself. I wouldn't follow your regime, (especially OMAD, as fasting spikes me) but then if I posted a photo, I can assure you no-one would be asking how I got all those muscles. What are your plans for the next 10 years?

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As with managing diabetes I do almost the opposite of what is the mantra of the many do. I do know other protocols work also. Here is mine, I purposefully am not interested in gaining a significant size, but just tweaking my frame:

Objectives:
  • Drop Fat
    • Particularly Visceral
    • Subcutaneous fat reduction to reveal six pack (I set this as a main goal to bring the focus away from just blood sugar, as to achieve a 6 pack, body fat needs to be under 10%, which again helps diabetes (I also have a future plan))
  • Build Muscle
    • Improve Glucose Control without much insulin (GLUT4 uptake)
  • Improve General Fitness

Before Workout (cardio or weights)
Drinks (hot lemon and lime), 2 black filter coffees. Eat nothing

During Workout (Cardio)
  • As early as possible walk in 1 go 10,000 steps where possible, with 200 pushups (various protocols either 1 x 50, 6 x 25, or 4 x 25, 5 x 20) (* this has torched fat last couple of weeks. I know it is the addition of pushups as it is the variable change which coincides with massive change in fat loss - must be the overall challenge on the body of cardio and resistance within the same time frame). I do between 5 and 7 miles listening to health related podcasts at around 80% max)
During Workout (Weights HiiT minimal rest circa 15 minutes)
  • Compound Exercises
  • All major muscle groups
After workout
Eat nothing until meal-time

I try to walk after my meal between 1 and 2 miles might do a few compound dumb bell exercises

Eating Protocol
LCHF (maybe Keto, I don't measure, but I think the amount of nuts I have may push me into LCHF).

The above is what I have built up to. It was important for me to transition from low GI 3 meals a day, to LCHF 3 meals a day. I felt too full, so eventually have gone to two meals (still too full) and now one meal a day, either 5 or 6 times a week (it would be 7, but I do breakfast business networking). As I have 1000's of calories of fat, this is why I am not hungry and need to eat every 3 to 6 hours like some of the other protocols. I am definitely fat adapted as I don't run out of energy anymore either (energy loss during low GI phase, so had seabass after evening long walk on occasions).

I drink a couple of centimeters of apple cider vinegar neat (but now quickly washed down with some water, then I wash my mouth out - acidity due to the acidity of the acv).

Typical mains (I try to have 50% vegetables on the plate, and some times have a side plate with more)
View attachment 25322
I will then have a bowl of mixed nuts (circa 700 calories worth, again sometimes I get more) and maybe a low carb further dessert of some berries and yogurt (sometimes cheese). I have 2 table spoons of mixed seeds and a couple of level spoons of peanut butter to hide ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg .

I take no supplements, protein shakes or anything other than what I have at dinner.
This is worth a look regarding protein supplementation:

I use 3 scales, but my today measurements I think are off due to timing (normally I measure during the and that I was circa 23 hours into my fast (more on the fast in separate thread). Here are some of my stats.:

Nokia (Withings,
(I don't believe the FAT mass of 5.4, but my Tanita is say 6.5, and Fitbit 9 (but on the main dashboard 8.1, so I am happy to go with 9):

View attachment 25324

Fitbit
(in line with my other scales my weight is up, body fat under 10%

View attachment 25325

Tanita Scales:
Fat Mass 6.5%
Visceral fat: 4.5%
My visceral fat was 7% last June so I am over the moon with the 4.5 (OMAD definitely played its part as well).

Taken after a training session just under 2 weeks ago, so optimum. I wanted to achieve this before I was 50, so it took a disappointing last A1c last December to push on):

View attachment 25326

Summary:
  • LCHF (maybe Keto sometimes)
    • No supplements, no pre or post workout routines apart from warm up / down and stretching
  • OMAD
  • HiiT
  • 90 day FBG 3.9
I have heard good things about these guys https://ketogains.com/coachingconsulting/boot-camps/

Edited to clean up.

What’s your current HBA1C?
Just curious to know mate.

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My goodness! SUCH an impressive photo!!! I hope you are pleased with yourself. I wouldn't follow your regime, (especially OMAD, as fasting spikes me) but then if I posted a photo, I can assure you no-one would be asking how I got all those muscles. What are your plans for the next 10 years?
I believe my calling is to assist my wife, giving as many people as possible the information we have gathered. When I tipped over into severe diabetes some of my foods I ate every day were a punnet of grapes, a banana, an orange, orange juice, either oats made with milk, or home made white flour pancakes with lemon or potato waffles with beans. I would also have home made soda bread (never a slice of white or shop bread for many years) and home made meals with usual rice, potatoes, pasta and the like. When I got thirsty I would have more orange juice. I was probably pre-diabetic with no symptoms in the November of 2014, but when I went on my fruit and carbs health kick, little did I know that I was ploughing myself with stacks of sugar and when added to the usual Christmas treats no wonder my fall was so hard and severe. I want to give the basics to as many as I can. Last week I spoke to 30 at a networking event. My wife has already expanded her Physio practice, so I want to help as much as I can. We have a family and friends presentation soon, as well as one for our village. We will also soon have our online system. No one deserves ignorantly getting diabetes so we will do everything we can to give as many as we can the tools to make informed decisions.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What’s your current HBA1C?
Just curious to know mate.
37 or 5.5%. This didn't feel right as my FBG was definitely better than at any time, my meter tracked exactly the same as my surgery's professional unit that had recently been NHS synchronised and my general control has been good. Adhoc tests say at night were 5.2 / 5.3. Now I am not as bothered as I was, as I have been told within the last week that there might be some noise due to some of my other lipids, I have a low white cell count which is normal for me (most likely due to low inflammation). This was checked by my surgery across several full blood counts.

Altaf_7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The issue is that the diets many bodybuilders use to win competitions is not good for anyone with Type2. Yet the gym work they do, combined with a high protein diet can greatly reduce insulin resistance, and hence help control Type2.

By keeping to a low carb, high protein diet, along with the gym work, you could do bodybuilding to a level that impresses all your friends etc........ (Just avoid all the "magic" shakes etc, and keep to the steak and eggs.)

Yeah , you are very right . High protein and no carbs that’s the formula

Altaf_7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Absolutely go for it!!!

No-one can answer your question about whey protein until you give details about your blood sugar levels and what you are eating at present. What tests have you had? Are you doing finger prick testing with a meter at home? When I first arrived on this Forum I was afraid of boring people if I gave too much detail. From the very first replies I got I realised that the more detail given the better people are pleased and the better we can help.

Well, initially I was put on janumet XR by doctor ... but after some time I decided to go to gym again and things started to go pretty well thereafter ... my blood sugar usually is around 80-90 fasting and 150-170 after meal and less than 130 2 hours after eating a meal ... my aic was 5.8%...I don’t take any meds right now trying to balance my diet and exercise

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I did it naturally but not competitively. Use chicken instead of whey protein? More expensive but less problems and more effective for me.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yeah , you are very right . High protein and no carbs that’s the formula
High protein feeds the muscles slowly, steadily and over a period of time. Instead of carb glucogen. Which secretes from the liver.
Protein for muscle building and maintaining. No carbs for endurance. Protein provides energy as long as enough protein for bodies current needs.