Painful finger prick testing in press images

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not so much a discussion, more a "If I see another article where someone is shown pricking the tip of their finger, not the side, I think I'll scream!" Not only that, the models are usually smiling as they pretend to prick their finger, like it's the flipping highlight of their day! :banghead: Rant over, and breathe...

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Must admit, it does not bother me but fingers can become a little sore over time. I know what you mean though when the models are smiling as they prick their finger lol

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I used to test 8 - 10 times a day and used to use every bit of my finger not just the sides. Fingers were always sore. Am so glad that I am now on the Freestyle Libre.....my fingers feel like they are on holiday as only finger prick 3 times a day now :D

D

Deleted Account

Not so much a discussion, more a "If I see another article where someone is shown pricking the tip of their finger, not the side, I think I'll scream!" Not only that, the models are usually smiling as they pretend to prick their finger, like it's the flipping highlight of their day! :banghead: Rant over, and breathe...
I don't expect these pictures to be realistic. If it was, you might see blood dripping down the side of the finger as they've pricked too deep (or, in my case, after exercise) :)

Reactions: eggs11

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid I have to use the tips or just below the tips in order to see blood. Pricking the sides hurts me a lot more, and too difficult to get blood. :arghh: In hospital, the nurses always used the tip. I guess this is something else we are all different in!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid I have to use the tips or just below the tips in order to see blood. Pricking the sides hurts me a lot more, and too difficult to get blood. :arghh: In hospital, the nurses always used the tip. I guess this is something else we are all different in!
The tips are too painful for me, so I assumed it was the same for everyone, as had been told sides less painful - yes, something else we all differ in!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.......In hospital, the nurses always used the tip. I guess this is something else we are all different in!

When I did my nursing training, many moons ago, I was taught to use the sides. However during my recent hospital stay they all without fail used the tips despite my objections! :arghh:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always use the tip no pain - the side of my fingers really hurt no matter how low I have the lancet set - whatever works for you is the key to happiness:)

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Perhaps they are holding someone else's hand....

(Seagues into Tom Lehrer
)
"...I've got bloodstains on my keyboard!"

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In hospital the nurses all , wrongly, seem to use the tip. I always use the side to minimise pain.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In hospital the nurses all , wrongly, seem to use the tip. I always use the side to minimise pain.
Wonder why they've now been trained to use the tip - think it would be better for them to ask "where do you normally find it least painful to test yourself?" and then use place suggested by patient.

D

Deleted Account

Wonder why they've now been trained to use the tip - think it would be better for them to ask "where do you normally find it least painful to test yourself?" and then use place suggested by patient.
Until I had diabetes, my fingers were so rarely pricked that I wouldn't have a clue.
I think most of the general population is the same as the old (young) me before I had diabetes.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Until I had diabetes, my fingers were so rarely pricked that I wouldn't have a clue.
I think most of the general population is the same as the old (young) me before I had diabetes.
Agreed for new patients - I was thinking more of patients already diagnosed like @Rachox who tried to tell them where to prick, but they carried on using the tips.

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was nursing I remember one particular patient who always asked to be pricked in his ear lobe :wideyed: He said it was less painful!

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think the actual tips of the fingers are relatively nerve free - it's the finger pads that have the most nerve endings - so avoid sticking these at all costs.