Is it normal to have normal readings so soon after being diagnosed?

Lovejoy00

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been on Metaformin (2 x 1000mg daily) for over a week now and my glucose levels almost look like a non diabetics? Is this normal?

I have gone on a low carb diet, but have had the odd beer, and a roast potato on occasion!

The small piece of birthday cake is the only sweet thing I have had in about three weeks!

My readings for last week are below. Have I got it under control, or are the drugs working?

I've stopped testing before/after breakfast most days, as I didn't notice a difference if I stuck to cheese/meat.

I note the higher readings are unsurprisingly after a few carbs!

I was diagnosed two weeks ago with a HDAC1 of 72.

upload_2018-2-21_20-58-44.png

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Normal or not think your self lucky and hope it continues.:)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally, I prefer to keep all my readings definitely below 7 and where possible below 6 (I almost always succeed in the first, but not so much the second.) You have obviously made great progress already. What you do now will be a compromise between your wish for perfect results and health and your liking for an unrestricted diet. You might like to look at the articles on this site before making up your mind. http://phlaunt.com/diabetes/SearchR....phlaunt.com/diabetes/&ref=&ss=3217j712977j17

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks like you've got a pretty good grip on your diet. You are well within NICE guidelines. Well done!!

Reactions: Lovejoy00

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a bit confused by your profile you say you are a T2 insulin dependant yet under treatment you say diet only

Lovejoy00

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, I've updated it. I don't know where the insulin reference comes from .

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this shows the power of a low carb diet! Well done!
I also like to keep my post meal readings under 7 but rarely test these days as I know what to eat after 6 years of playing this game.
You might find you can reduce or eliminate Metformin all together if you continue to eat low carb. I reckon it took me a couple of months to get my blood sugars down to normal (although I declined the Metformin when first diagnosed).