fasting first time

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey

it’s the first time tonight i am fasting for a blood test 8:30pm till 8:30am.

am i aloud to inject or worst case sip on some juice if my sugars were to drop? or would that totally ruin the blood test

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quite simply, a blood test can be recheduled, your health cannot be. Do what you can to maintain the fasting but if you face an emergency situation, you have to deal with it accordingly.

Is the test for an HbA1c?

ALso, have a look at this thread which deals with a similar question to yours:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/type-1-fasting-blood-test.24987/

yes it’s for HbA1c. i’m going to try my best! obviously if i need insulin or sugar i will. was just curious if i was actually aloud insulin, does that affect it?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hba1c doesnt need to be fasted for. Its more likely the fasting is for fasting BM and lipids which are usually done at the same time as hba1c as
part of a review

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hba1c doesnt need to be fasted for. Its more likely the fasting is for fasting BM and lipids which are usually done at the same time as hba1c as
part of a review

yes i think you are right. if i do have a hypo tonight and i have to have some juice, can they still do it?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you eat / drink anything but water, my understanding is that
They can still do hba1c with no problem
They can still do a lipid test but not as detailed / accurate as a fasting test would be so they might have to repeat it
They cant do a fasting BG
I think They can still do full blood count, kidney and liver function tests

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you eat / drink anything but water, my understanding is that
They can still do hba1c with no problem
They can still do a lipid test but not as detailed / accurate as a fasting test would be so they might have to repeat it
They cant do a fasting BG
I think They can still do full blood count, kidney and liver function tests

ok thank you! i have been diagnosed 7 years and this is my first fasting blood test as they haven’t tested lipid before. is there any reason for this?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Theyve always done lipids every review (yearly) with me for the last 21 years, so I just take it as being another one of their standard tests - cholesterols anther area they have targets for along with blood pressure, hba1c etc

emily deacon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Theyve always done lipids every review (yearly) with me for the last 21 years, so I just take it as being another one of their standard tests - cholesterols anther area they have targets for along with blood pressure, hba1c etc

i usually take 17 units of night insulin, would you recommend reducing that?

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a lipid profile done when my HbA1c was taken, but I wasn't asked to fast and all that happened is on my results it had the numbers and "non-fasting" next to them.