ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi BigIain, sorry for the slow response, it's been a very hectic week. I thoroughly recommend the diet - the book I found easy to read & very encouraging & I've even purchased it's supporting recipe book. The recipes in both are delicious and my whole family have embraced the food - on the whole anyway! I've decided to try things even if I don't like the sound of them & I've changed my mind about all kinds of things! I found the first 3 days tough - really quite hungry at times, but I sipped my way through what seemed like gallons of hot/ cold water with lemon slices or mint leaves which seemed to take the edge off. I can honestly say, after that I've felt fine - I no longer get "hangry" at those key times (I always used to be desperate to eat at around 11 am & 3.30 pm) - Yes I might be peckish, but it now seems to be just a little tummy rumble rather than an emotional thing. I occasionally go a bit over 800 call, but I try and balance it over the week. I've dieted many times over the years, never in quite such an "extreme" way. I have always craved he food I "couldn't" have on other diets & been tempted to pick. I can honestly say I've not felt I'm missing out on anything - my kids can sit and eat a bar of chocolate next to me & I'm not interested. I feel that my sweet cravings have completely faded away & I'm even lookig forward to a "green drink" for breakfast! !! (I didn't like it the first twice, but I've grown to enjoy it rather surprisingly). Please let me know whether you've decided to give it a go - I'm now usually so slow to respond and I'd be happy to pass on any useful tips if you do. Several of my work colleagues have embarked on the diet just because they're so impressed with the rapid results & how interesting my lunch box looks! Good luck! I've lost 13.2 kg (2 stones & 1 lb) in 5 weeks & 5 days. I feel like a new person - in mind as well as body. It's great to be in control.
Water can make a HUGE difference to any diet.
Thankyou for reminder. I must drink more water. Since coming off some diabetes meds I've lapsed my heavy water drinking.. Maybe my bloating needs more water?
Im blaming insulin but water maybe what I'm lacking.!!!!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Good morning all, some fantastic results from everyone today, well done everyone!

My progress remains steady - I've now completed 40 days of the blood sugar diet & remain very happy with everything to do with it - enjoying the food, enjoying more stable emotions (although I did have a very moody day on Tuesday, when I realised how much weight I still have to lose - I usually focus on the positives but the long game is so hard sometimes)

So my stats so far:
Start weight, 7/1/18: 114.2 kg
Weight last Friday: 103 kg
Weight today: 101 kg
Weight loss this week : 2 kg
Total weight loss: 13.2 kg

Let's see what the next week brings! Good luck all
Great results. Double Winner!!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Don’t know if it counts but lost a pound this week I had to do an emergency dash in last few days to help my very poorly 87 year old mum so ate less - mainly keeping going on nuts and cream in coffee when could get it. Now back home and mum improving. Sure will put it back on when go back to normal eating again buy hey it’s Friday! Will have to start planning I think for these emergency additional trips - I go every 3/4 weeks and can plan then but she is diabetic with poor kidney function so no doubt may be doing it more. Next planned trip next week but will zip up there before - a mere 120 miles away - if I’m worried about her.
Any activity is good for weight loss but wish it wasn't this one for you:(

Reactions: Freema

Happyhomelands

Hi everyone. You have all done so well with weight loss. I have mostly tracked glucose since January but am hoping that some of your magic will rub off on me. I have been adapting to lchf but im not a good dieter. Starting weight 17 stone, current weight 16. stone 4. lost 10 pounds. My scales also seem a bit random. please ignore further typing, mu back button wont let me delete. nater li

ToveyKath

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don’t know if it counts but lost a pound this week I had to do an emergency dash in last few days to help my very poorly 87 year old mum so ate less - mainly keeping going on nuts and cream in coffee when could get it. Now back home and mum improving. Sure will put it back on when go back to normal eating again buy hey it’s Friday! Will have to start planning I think for these emergency additional trips - I go every 3/4 weeks and can plan then but she is diabetic with poor kidney function so no doubt may be doing it more. Next planned trip next week but will zip up there before - a mere 120 miles away - if I’m worried about her.

It all counts! Glad your mum’s improving now. Have a good week

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ToveyKath and @ickihun thank you for your kind encouragement. Try not to think of your final goal and how much weight you need to lose to get there. I get very down when I think of it. I keep optimistic week to week and think of the 2 stone 3 lbs I've lost since diagnosis, despite twice falling off the low carb wagon!
@shelley262 i hope your mum is feeling tons better. :)

ToveyKath

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@ToveyKath and @ickihun thank you for your kind encouragement. Try not to think of your final goal and how much weight you need to lose to get there. I get very down when I think of it. I keep optimistic week to week and think of the 2 stone 3 lbs I've lost since diagnosis, despite twice falling off the low carb wagon!
@shelley262 i hope your mum is feeling tons better. :)

Thanks for your encouragement, that’s good advice

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm losing again :) :) :)
No swimming yet. But finances are in place for whole family next weekend. :)

So looking forward to Friday. I hope no hiccup til then.

How is everyone's confidence?

ToveyKath

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm losing again :) :) :)
No swimming yet. But finances are in place for whole family next weekend. :)

So looking forward to Friday. I hope no hiccup til then.

How is everyone's confidence?

Great to hear ickihun You’re sounding full of confidence again, and rightly so! I’ve had a couple of “wanting to eat bad stuff” days but have resisted - just- by having a little extra good stuff. Just a few nuts, but they’re so calorific it may not have been a good idea. But I’ve reminded myself I’m human and am ready to take on the world again! It’s half term for me so easier to fall off the wagon with no routine, so trying to get out walking with the children & keep busy. And I’ve reminded them to sellotape my mouth if I’m tempted with sugary stuff!(I think they might enjoy that!)

Stay positive & enjoy that swim, ♂️

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My food makes a huge difference. More now than ever.
Hoping to get my bariatric op date in a few months. Looks like I've passed the tier3 part. Next I meet surgeon and discuss types of surgery suitable for me and my needs. I have to have an endoscopy but only once ordered by the surgeon. Then the liver shrinking diet before op with diabetes unit support because of strong insulins.

I'm hoping to lose another stone or more before op. Any more will be a bonus. ⏳

Then the real work begins.
Its a great bottomer for obesity but I have the job of keeping the weight gain down with metformin and a good basal insulin. I can do this......for the rest of my life. I'm hoping to live into my 90s. My palm reading backs this up so...... I think my positive journey starts here (new dress and maybe new swimwear)............................................................???

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
To be honest I wasn't too bothered about my weight until I was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic and then through this forum realised that my weight was a contributing factor to my condition. I decided to make a conscious effort to loose weight and was told by a work colleague about the Samsung Health app on my phone. Through this you can record various things such as sleep, walking steps, blood sugar, weight and loads of other stuff related to your health. I thought I would start recording my weight through this app, so each morning I stepped on the wife's electronic scales

Here was the first problem. Her scales were designed with the soft delicate female form in mind, so they don't record weight above 120kg. However I took this as a challenge, and through sensible diet and sheer will power 3 weeks ago the scales finally abandoned their misogynist outlook on life and acknowledged my existence at 120.2kg

Weight has been steadily decreasing ever since and yesterday I weighed in at 115.9kg. My plan is to initially get down to 100kg by which time I hope to be in a routine with regards to continuing the weight loss lifestyle and senior management's scales will continue to acknowledge my existence

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

Today I’m 0.3kg heavier than last week, so pretty stable. Getting to my new target weight (I would like to lose about another 5kg) is proving to be so much harder than the initial big weight drop, not least because my appetite is really fluctuating. Just need to be patient, I guess.

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight at diagnosis on 5.4.17 - 115.3 kg BMI 39.8
Weight today 65.6 kg BMI 22.6
Total weight Lost 49.7kg

Not trying to lose any more - have been maintaining below my goal weight of 68kg since November 2017 - but hanging out on this thread as I keep trying to get the balance right :)

0.4kg up - still balancing :)