Research and Metformin

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think we each need to do our homework, then apply findings to our own individual circumstances

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I think we each need to do our homework, then apply findings to our own individual circumstances
Of course we do and this is a contribution from research that might help some people to think about this particular medication.

Reactions: Kikeena_

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Indeed, and it can be so difficult with all of the conflicting information. I find it important to reassess my own needs from time to time, as I have several medical conditions, and the need for much medication. I do prefer to take as little medication as possible, concerned about polypharmacy as I get older. Though I do believe Metformin to have benefits for some and when I did take it was fortunate not to have the uncomfortable gastric problems some people report. The meds don't always compliment each other, and there can be reactions and side effects. I often find the friendly local phamacist to be more knowledgeable about the meds than the G P.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Downsides to everything .. just like statins.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sure are @Mike D , advantages and disadvantages need to be considered by the individual, taking into account their own circumstances.
I think I already said that, though.

Edit to correct member alert

Last edited:

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi @Mike D There are certainly possible downsides to a lot of things and medications are not immune from that. There is, however, a world of difference between possible downsides and actual downsides. Sadly some people have a down on certain medications because of possible adverse effects which they may never experience thereby missing out on known benefits and on emerging benefits from past and continuing research.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course we do and this is a contribution from research that might help some people to think about this particular medication.
There are probably better resources for research than the marketing manager of a software company.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
There are probably better resources for research than the marketing manager of a software company.
My post was directional. Of course there are many reports on past and current research into metformin. Let Mr Google be your friend. Interestingly, when my GP wanted to stop my metformin as my numbers were normal, my endocrinologist advised against that and advised me to go onto the highest daily dose of metformin, if I could tolerate it, because of the emerging benefits. I can and I did.

Reactions: Struma

davidopong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Very interesting read. Is Metformin such a magical drug or the article's extolling of the drug is actually for marketing purposes?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I had to turn my adblocker off to see it.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Very interesting read. Is Metformin such a magical drug or the article's extolling of the drug is actually for marketing purposes?
Why would you think it is for marketing purposes? There is nothing magical about repurposed drugs. Many are now being researched for medical problems other than the one they have originally been approved for.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.endocrineweb.com/amp/18692
http://www.metabolismjournal.com/article/S0026-0495(03)00408-6/pdf

Last edited:

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
If that is what it means to you. It certainly does not figure in my thinking.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I could still take metformin. My surgery won't allow me to have it because my BG's are in the pre-diabetic range now.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
My surgery tried that on me but I resisted it and got my Endocrinologyst to back me. That worked and my Metformin was raised from 3 to 4 tablets a day instead of going from 3 to none!

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My surgery tried that on me but I resisted it and got my Endocrinologyst to back me. That worked and my Metformin was raised from 3 to 4 tablets a day instead of going from 3 to none!
I don't have an endocrinologist unfortunately, I am only seen by my GP in respect of my type 2.