breakfast

Type of diabetes
Type 2
so i am confused , i always thought that weetabix and shredded wheat etc was ok , but now hearing different things , anyone help out on info please ?
Register for the Low Carb diet on here mate and go Ketogenic you will never be hungry again and will reverse your diabetes in time if you do.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Fix dosed type2s are given insulin twice daily or three if preparing them for seperate bolus and basal.

The problem with mixed dose you cannot have no hypos when eating low carb unless you sabotage it with carbs to treat hypos.

Since OP is relatlvely new to insulin therapy I think hypos happenings needs reporting to this DN immediately, especially with a heart problem.
It was different for me, my heart is good with very little disease. I could afford the strains from odd hypo not everyone can.

I very very rarely hypo now on seperate insulins.
Much more flexible to my economical diet.

OP will get opposition to go low carb from his insulin dependant team.
He will get confused about our advice and theirs.

Especially with a heart problem. The disruption is his risk alone.
Without our support he will be encouraged to carb eat.

Op needs to decide if he's on insulin or not with low carbing but reduce his insulin SLOWLY til it can be stopped.

On mixed insulin I got off insulin for a day then crashed into very high bgs.... Ketoacidosis risk area. I needed a basal which was why I need huge basal now and very little bolus (novarapaid).
Low carb eating reduces my need for bolus but not basal. I need bariatric surgery for that. I'm still just under 19st. Im hoping half my weight may result in half emount of 240units of current basal.

The more insulin, the more fat is manufactured in the body. Hence weight gain too.

Things may be fought with exercise to burn the fat manufacturing gaining weight. But not allain my case.
I'm not as active as I'd like but my amount of insulin I need to fight would be me training more than any athlete to compensate. Humf!
We are all different so OP needs to continue reducing his insulin very very slowly and monitoring with his meter vigorously.

It can be done no matter your obesity level or IR severity. With all the tools here and his medical team.
A newly insulin dependant type2 without burnt out pancreas cells...... definitely.

Please give OP time to constantly adjust his units, safely.

If hypos being treated are sabataging your good work @smokiejoe03 you need your dn's attention. Don't suffer hypos and its carby treatments when you don't have too.

Decide now. Low carb and possibly no insulin/little insulin or feed carbs to insulin therapy to avoid hypos and on the wrong medication?????

Reactions: smokiejoe03

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Fix dosed type2s are given insulin twice daily or three if preparing them for seperate bolus and basal.

The problem with mixed dose you cannot have no hypos when eating low carb unless you sabotage it with carbs to treat hypos.

Since OP is relatlvely new to insulin therapy I think hypos happenings needs reporting to this DN immediately, especially with a heart problem.
It was different for me, my heart is good with very little disease. I could afford the strains from odd hypo not everyone can.

I very very rarely hypo now on seperate insulins.
Much more flexible to my economical diet.

OP will get opposition to go low carb from his insulin dependant team.
He will get confused about our advice and theirs.

Especially with a heart problem. The disruption is his risk alone.
Without our support he will be encouraged to carb eat.

Op needs to decide if he's on insulin or not with low carbing but reduce his insulin SLOWLY til it can be stopped.

On mixed insulin I got off insulin for a day then crashed into very high bgs.... Ketoacidosis risk area. I needed a basal which was why I need huge basal now and very little bolus (novarapaid).
Low carb eating reduces my need for bolus but not basal. I need bariatric surgery for that. I'm still just under 19st. Im hoping half my weight may result in half emount of 240units of current basal.

The more insulin, the more fat is manufactured in the body. Hence weight gain too.

Things may be fought with exercise to burn the fat manufacturing gaining weight. But not allain my case.
I'm not as active as I'd like but my amount of insulin I need to fight would be me training more than any athlete to compensate. Humf!
We are all different so OP needs to continue reducing his insulin very very slowly and monitoring with his meter vigorously.

It can be done no matter your obesity level or IR severity. With all the tools here and his medical team.
A newly insulin dependant type2 without burnt out pancreas cells...... definitely.

Please give OP time to constantly adjust his units, safely.

If hypos being treated are sabataging your good work @smokiejoe03 you need your dn's attention. Don't suffer hypos and its carby treatments when you don't have too.

Decide now. Low carb and possibly no insulin/little insulin or feed carbs to insulin therapy to avoid hypos and on the wrong medication?????
thanks for that , as you stated im fairly new to all this and trying to adjust, i know a lot of my issues were due to the fact , that i couldnt get my bg levels down to suitable number they were high all the time but again due to poor diet control, which now im realising that, and thats why i want to try and do something about it . to be honest , im old school, and being diagnosed so late in life , its been really hard for me to readjust my foods lifestyle, im not a drinker and since june last year gave up smoking fags only on a vape now , my fate has always been sweet things , bisicuts, chocolate , pie and chips etc type of person, i am now , but couldnt get my head around eating things like salads etc for lunch when its cold outside only and maybe only in the summer , id rather get something from a chippy or macdonalds etc,, although as ive said i am slowly re adjusting my lifestyle, trying to eat a bit more fruit , and now having salad at least 4 times a week, lots more veggies etc and even eating grilled salmon and haddock etc , the other problem i have is, i have my dinner around 6pm most evenings and by 9/10pm im starving again, then look for a little munch before i go bed,,, im not really a brekkie man, and struggle to eat 1st thing in the morning, i only force something down me in the mornings to take my meds etc ,,,, but then by 9/10 ish im famished , i have been doing packed lunches with a few little snacks besides my lunch , and that seems to be doing the job lately, but still hungry in the evenings,,,,,

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
thanks for that , as you stated im fairly new to all this and trying to adjust, i know a lot of my issues were due to the fact , that i couldnt get my bg levels down to suitable number they were high all the time but again due to poor diet control, which now im realising that, and thats why i want to try and do something about it . to be honest , im old school, and being diagnosed so late in life , its been really hard for me to readjust my foods lifestyle, im not a drinker and since june last year gave up smoking fags only on a vape now , my fate has always been sweet things , bisicuts, chocolate , pie and chips etc type of person, i am now , but couldnt get my head around eating things like salads etc for lunch when its cold outside only and maybe only in the summer , id rather get something from a chippy or macdonalds etc,, although as ive said i am slowly re adjusting my lifestyle, trying to eat a bit more fruit , and now having salad at least 4 times a week, lots more veggies etc and even eating grilled salmon and haddock etc , the other problem i have is, i have my dinner around 6pm most evenings and by 9/10pm im starving again, then look for a little munch before i go bed,,, im not really a brekkie man, and struggle to eat 1st thing in the morning, i only force something down me in the mornings to take my meds etc ,,,, but then by 9/10 ish im famished , i have been doing packed lunches with a few little snacks besides my lunch , and that seems to be doing the job lately, but still hungry in the evenings,,,,,
I recommend a coffee and cream only for breakfast til you settle in more. Which needs huge less insulin than weetabix or shreddies. Half amount than porridge or cereals.
Just make this change for a week, for now. If you discover you do fancy a proper breakfast stop coffee and eat a eggy breakfast but no bread or hash browns or baked beans. Anyway you fancy them. Omelette or scrambled or fried in lard or butter. Make them tasty to your liking.

You are doing brilliantly! Well done! :)

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I recommend a coffee and cream only for breakfast til you settle in more. Which needs huge less insulin than weetabix or shreddies. Half amount than porridge or cereals.
Just make this change for a week, for now. If you discover you do fancy a proper breakfast stop coffee and eat a eggy breakfast but no bread or hash browns or baked beans. Anyway you fancy them. Omelette or scrambled or fried in lard or butter. Make them tasty to your liking.

You are doing brilliantly! Well done! :)
just coffee and cream ?? its says that i must eat 10 mins before or after insulin ,,??

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Evening hunger is carb craving nothing morem Once you eradicate most carbs from your diet including fruit (except some berries) you won't crave carbs anymore.

We've all done this exploration period and tested before and 2hrs after to find our rewards for keeping most boxed cereals out of our diet.
A great hba1c is the greatest ever reward. Well for me.
Ps. later try homemade cereals if you miss it enough? Loads of recipies available.

Also I discovered if i reheated fresh potato I didnt spike. Give it a go?

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wanted to ask ICkihun, if you have just coffee and cream, how much cream do you add in order to stop BG from rising.
Thanks

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening hunger is carb craving nothing morem Once you eradicate most carbs from your diet including fruit (except some berries) you won't crave carbs anymore.

We've all done this exploration period and tested before and 2hrs after to find our rewards for keeping most boxed cereals out of our diet.
A great hba1c is the greatest ever reward. Well for me.
Ps. later try homemade cereals if you miss it enough? Loads of recipies available.

Also I discovered if i reheated fresh potato I didnt spike. Give it a go?
thanks,, but i think im not getting this , re the insulin,, ie eating before or after taking it ? do you not have to eat then ?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I
just coffee and cream ?? its says that i must eat 10 mins before or after insulin ,,??
I took insulin (half your normal amount) then coffee and cream. 2hrs later tested blood.
If at anytime you feel lightheaded or shaky test your blood immediately and treat if nearing a hypo. With carb but the next day repeat identical breakfast but with less insulin.
One meal at a time.
Stock your cupboards with fish, meat and eggs to vary your diet. Pick those you like the most. Treat yourself, if you can with that bit salmon you've always fancied?

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just wanted to ask ICkihun, if you have just coffee and cream, how much cream do you add in order to stop BG from rising.
Thanks
I use 2-3 teaspoons but you will have to experiment for your own body's needs.

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank for your quick reply. I'll try it tomorrow morning and see how I go. Have a good evening x

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You must eat when on insulin.
Eating low carb 10mins before or after the half dose of insulin will give you a new base to start from. On whether you need to reduce more... or increase. Depending on your reaction to low carb and insulin need..

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I

I took insulin (half your normal amount) then coffee and cream. 2hrs later tested blood.
If at anytime you feel lightheaded or shaky test your blood immediately and treat if nearing a hypo. With carb but the next day repeat identical breakfast but with less insulin.
One meal at a time.
Stock your cupboards with fish, meat and eggs to vary your diet. Pick those you like the most. Treat yourself, if you can with that bit salmon you've always fancied?
ok thanks again

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I admire your vigor.
You will storm this.... I feel confident in saying that. :)
yea i think so to,, as i said its basically trying teach an old dog new tricks lol but hey ho ill get there ,, eventually lol hopefully not to late though lol,,

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You must eat when on insulin.
Eating low carb 10mins before or after the half dose of insulin will give you a new base to start from. On whether you need to reduce more... or increase. Depending on your reaction to low carb and insulin need..
@smokiejoe03 is, I think, on fixed doses of insulin? is that right?