breakfast

D

Deleted member 308541

The OP doesn't have a signature and I can't see that information anywhere?
It's in the OP's profile under information

About

Birthday: Jan 23, 1961 (Age: 57)
Type of diabetes: Type 2
Treatment type: Insulin
Medication: novamix 30

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @smokiejoe03 ,

Blimey! All this talk of insulin being bandied about.. :)
I agree with @Bluetit1802 's advice regarding a log of meals & blood numbers.

What numbers are you testing prior to your weetabix breakfast & two hours later. Then prior to lunch?
My memories of a mixed insulin regime is the portion sizes (carb count.) of the meal & timing of meals tend to be a little more rigid as opposed to MDI. (Multiple Daily Injections.)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @smokiejoe03 ,

Blimey! All this talk of insulin being bandied about.. :)
I agree with @Bluetit1802 's advice regarding a log of meals & blood numbers.

What numbers are you testing prior to your weetabix breakfast & two hours later. Then prior to lunch?
My memories of a mixed insulin regime is the portion sizes (carb count.) of the meal & timing of meals tend to be a little more rigid as opposed to MDI. (Multiple Daily Injections.)
normally between 6 and 10 in the mornings and same again round tea time, but since ive changed my diet between 5 and 7 mornings and around the same tea time again

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
normally between 6 and 10 in the mornings and same again round tea time, but since ive changed my diet between 5 and 7 mornings and around the same tea time again

Sounds like you ain't doing too bad.. :)

Are you finding BS drops mid morn or afternoon, needing a snack..?

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you ain't doing too bad.. :)

Are you finding BS drops mid morn or afternoon, needing a snack..?
yes it has been,, so i have a little munch lol but this week i have staggered my snacks throughout the day , rather than all at once 2 or 3 times a day

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a bit concerned that for some meals you are having hardly any carbs and for others, at the same time but on a different day you are having lots - but if you are taking the same amount of insulin you are either going to drop low or go high.

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a bit concerned that for some meals you are having hardly any carbs and for others, at the same time but on a different day you are having lots - but if you are taking the same amount of insulin you are either going to drop low or go high.
im just getting used to adjusting my diet but with help on here from you guys will help me to get it right over time, i know its not going to change overnight , but im ready for the long haul,,,

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
im just getting used to adjusting my diet but with help on here from you guys will help me to get it right over time, i know its not going to change overnight , but im ready for the long haul,,,
the thing is, if you adjust your diet, you need to also have your insulin adjusted to be compatible with it, or you risk hypos. The two things go hand in hand, because you are on a fixed dose.

Most of us who low carb on either not on insulin, or are on self adjustable daily insulin regimes. You are not. Do you drive?

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
the thing is, if you adjust your diet, you need to also have your insulin adjusted to be compatible with it, or you risk hypos. The two things go hand in hand, because you are on a fixed dose.

Most of us who low carb on either not on insulin, or are on self adjustable daily insulin regimes. You are not. Do you drive?
ah ok ,, and yes i do drive

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Insulin is needed to clear the glucose released by carbs after eating. The fewer carbs you eat, the less insulin you need. If you end up with too much insulin your BS levels will drop and you may be in hypo territory. This is why we have been cautious in our advice.

You MUST test before driving and do not drive if you are 5 or less. You should also test every 2 hours during a long journey. I take it you have informed the DVLA and your car insurance company?

Reactions: lucylocket61

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
always thought that weetabix and shredded wheat etc was ok

It depends, if one is restricting carbs, one would have to look at the carb value, Shredded Wheat 79gms per 100, Weetabix 69gms per 100. I personally try to keep within 40gms carb per day so both are a no no. If one was considering calories, Shredded Wheat is 337cals per 100 gms and Weetabix 362 cals per 100gms.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you read the information leaflet you will see that you must have carbs within 10 mins of your injection, so a breakfast of 3 scrambled eggs or similar very low carb meal may not be a good idea. I do suggest talking this through with your health team.

Reactions: smokiejoe03

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin is needed to clear the glucose released by carbs after eating. The fewer carbs you eat, the less insulin you need. If you end up with too much insulin your BS levels will drop and you may be in hypo territory. This is why we have been cautious in our advice.

You MUST test before driving and do not drive if you are 5 or less. You should also test every 2 hours during a long journey. I take it you have informed the DVLA and your car insurance company?
ok thanks for the advice and yes notified them,,,

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends, if one is restricting carbs, one would have to look at the carb value, Shredded Wheat 79gms per 100, Weetabix 69gms per 100. I personally try to keep within 40gms carb per day so both are a no no. If one was considering calories, Shredded Wheat is 337cals per 100 gms and Weetabix 362 cals per 100gms.
thanks

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you read the information leaflet you will see that you must have carbs within 10 mins of your injection, so a breakfast of 3 scrambled eggs or similar very low carb meal may not be a good idea. I do suggest talking this through with your health team.
ok will do thanks

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
May I ask how long you have been on insulin and has any of your HCP's ever mentioned coming off it?
Is it your only diabetes medication?
since sept 2017 , and take 2 x 500mg metformin twice a day , and 1 x 40gm statin think that was because i had a heart attack last year june

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes it has been,, so i have a little munch lol but this week i have staggered my snacks throughout the day , rather than all at once 2 or 3 times a day

Sounds like the "little & often" aproach to diet with the current dosage regime has at least stopped any lows twix meals?

Going to tag in @Spencer67 , who I believe in on Novomix 30..

Reactions: smokiejoe03

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
since sept 2017 , and take 2 x 500mg metformin twice a day , and 1 x 40gm statin think that was because i had a heart attack last year june
Do you happen to know what your last HbA1c or your diagnosis one was?