Nasty experience with pineapple and orange

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.
Yesterday morning my bg was 5.4. I later had a small piece of pineapple and an orange on empty stomach. I later did another test to know if these fruits would spike my sugar level, Incredibly my sugar level had risen to 13. This shows me that these fruits aren’t good for me. Am I alone?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Yesterday morning my bg was 5.4. I later had a small piece of pineapple and an orange on empty stomach. I later did another test to know if these fruits would spike my sugar level, Incredibly my sugar level had risen to 13. This shows me that these fruits aren’t good for me. Am I alone?
I do so much miss fruit but I just stopped eating them because I had a sneaking suspicion my BG would go through the roof. Eat 5 raspberries and dream:happy:

Reactions: Olufisayo

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
The majority if not all fruit contain sugar. Forget the "well it's natural sugar" comment that many state. Sugar is sugar and it will have a dramatic effect on Blood Glucose levels if too much is consumed.

We can eat fruit but we have to be very careful and we need to consume small portions. I am not a fruit lover but I had a smoothie once some years back and it nearly put me into a coma!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is generally said that tropical fruits are the worst and fruits that grow in a cold climate are the best for bg. But many, perhaps most of us can only eat very small portions even of the latter, or avoid fruit altogether. IMO the key is (a) carefully chosen fruit ie raspberries, strawberries, wild blackberries, rhubarb and (b) very small portions. I have recently succeeded in eating 50g stewed rhubarb (raw weight) with a couple of teaspoons of full fat Greek yoghurt and some double cream for breakfast. I eat this very slowly with a teaspoon, which is absolute bliss. I really think I enjoy it more than when I used to gulp down unlimited quantities of fruit without thinking.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Not in the slightest.. fruit is very bad for spikes for most of us which is why it's no longer part of my diet apart from a few frozen raspberries with double cream as a dessert treat.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think that is the ratio of fiber and sugars in the fruit that matters. If I eat oranges, apples, pears, kiwis I haven't any problem. On the other hand figs or tangerines are a problem.
I don't know about pineapple but I don't like them, and anyway canned pineapples are with added sugars.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, you're not alone @Olufisayo. Recently I had a meal of roast pork with lashings of crackling, a very small spoonful of home-made apple sauce, sweetheart cabbage and butternut squash and cauli mash, followed by three fresh lychees. Bg reading before 5.5, after 9.6.... A big shock and I can only think it was the lychees :( All my fave fruits (mostly tropical) are off the list, sadly. But as @MikeTurin shows, people differ in the fruits they can tolerate so you may be able to find other fruits that are ok for you.

Reactions: DJC3

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, you're not alone @Olufisayo. Recently I had a meal of roast pork with lashings of crackling, a very small spoonful of home-made apple sauce, sweetheart cabbage and butternut squash and cauli mash, followed by three fresh lychees. Bg reading before 5.5, after 9.6.... A big shock and I can only think it was the lychees :( All my fave fruits (mostly tropical) are off the list, sadly. But as @MikeTurin shows, people differ in the fruits they can tolerate so you may be able to find other fruits that are ok for you.
Hi Sue, don't rule out the butternut squash!!!! I find that spikes me all on its own. x (Unless of course, you have tried and tested it already).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The general advice is never to eat fruit as a stand-alone snack. If it is to be eaten it is best as part of a meal, preferably with cream or yogurt. Fructose is a major culprit in causing a fatty liver, which is never a good idea for people with diabetes.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The general advice is never to eat fruit as a stand-alone snack. If it is to be eaten it is best as part of a meal, preferably with cream or yogurt. Fructose is a major culprit in causing a fatty liver, which is never a good idea for people with diabetes.
Overconsumption of fructose is a problem, because is transformed in the liver in fats and if too much fat is produced this will cause fatty liver.
I suppose that eating some fruit could be easily managed, but if one eat a lot of sucrose- or high fructose corn syrup could have a lot of problem. Before the '80 the non alcoholic fatty syndrome was almost unknown.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat fruit, but only one or two small bites. I have 12 guinea-pigs, they need extra vitamin c, so they get the rest. I'm on insulin, but still, a whole orange is more difficult to dose for than a big piece of cake, so I gave up on eating a whole fruit at one time.

Saorlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

No! I’ve had the same experience. Desperate for some pineapple and really, really enjoyed it but it put my blood glucose up to 13 from 7. I miss fruit but have learned to love raspberries and blueberries!

knoxy55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anything to do with birds or feathers, whether to look at or eat.
I eat blueberries, raspberries and strawberries, but also like nectarines would they cause a big spike?

Peterseaford

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I eat a banana when would I test to see if it spiked my bag
Would I take a reading - then eat the fruit then abstain from eating drinking for 2 hours then test again ?

Kind regards
Peter

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I eat a banana when would I test to see if it spiked my bag
Would I take a reading - then eat the fruit then abstain from eating drinking for 2 hours then test again ?

Kind regards
Peter

Bananas are very quick to release the glucose. They are almost instant, which is why athletes munch them during competitions, especially tennis players between games. If you want to test one, test before you eat it then again an hour after first bite and again at 90 minutes and again at 2 hours.

dkkc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have the same problem so completely avoid oranges. Can just about manage a few pieces of pineapple. Other fruits like lychees, grapes, cherries, strawberries - as long as small portion, it is ok. I have started using freestyle but haven't had any fruits since started using freestyle. I will try and see spike I get with fruits so I can control the intake

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
How does your bg react to plantain?