1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Nasty experience with pineapple and orange

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by Olufisayo, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Olufisayo

Olufisayo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yesterday morning my bg was 5.4. I later had a small piece of pineapple and an orange on empty stomach. I later did another test to know if these fruits would spike my sugar level, Incredibly my sugar level had risen to 13. This shows me that these fruits aren’t good for me. Am I alone?

• Like Like x 3
  2. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I do so much miss fruit but I just stopped eating them because I had a sneaking suspicion my BG would go through the roof. Eat 5 raspberries and dream:happy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. kevinfitzgerald

kevinfitzgerald Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The majority if not all fruit contain sugar. Forget the "well it's natural sugar" comment that many state. Sugar is sugar and it will have a dramatic effect on Blood Glucose levels if too much is consumed.

We can eat fruit but we have to be very careful and we need to consume small portions. I am not a fruit lover but I had a smoothie once some years back and it nearly put me into a coma!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

It is generally said that tropical fruits are the worst and fruits that grow in a cold climate are the best for bg. But many, perhaps most of us can only eat very small portions even of the latter, or avoid fruit altogether. IMO the key is (a) carefully chosen fruit ie raspberries, strawberries, wild blackberries, rhubarb and (b) very small portions. I have recently succeeded in eating 50g stewed rhubarb (raw weight) with a couple of teaspoons of full fat Greek yoghurt and some double cream for breakfast. I eat this very slowly with a teaspoon, which is absolute bliss. I really think I enjoy it more than when I used to gulp down unlimited quantities of fruit without thinking.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Not in the slightest.. fruit is very bad for spikes for most of us which is why it's no longer part of my diet apart from a few frozen raspberries with double cream as a dessert treat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MikeTurin

MikeTurin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think that is the ratio of fiber and sugars in the fruit that matters. If I eat oranges, apples, pears, kiwis I haven't any problem. On the other hand figs or tangerines are a problem.
    I don't know about pineapple but I don't like them, and anyway canned pineapples are with added sugars.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sue192

Sue192 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No, you're not alone @Olufisayo. Recently I had a meal of roast pork with lashings of crackling, a very small spoonful of home-made apple sauce, sweetheart cabbage and butternut squash and cauli mash, followed by three fresh lychees. Bg reading before 5.5, after 9.6.... A big shock and I can only think it was the lychees :( All my fave fruits (mostly tropical) are off the list, sadly. But as @MikeTurin shows, people differ in the fruits they can tolerate so you may be able to find other fruits that are ok for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Sue, don't rule out the butternut squash!!!! I find that spikes me all on its own. x (Unless of course, you have tried and tested it already).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

The general advice is never to eat fruit as a stand-alone snack. If it is to be eaten it is best as part of a meal, preferably with cream or yogurt. Fructose is a major culprit in causing a fatty liver, which is never a good idea for people with diabetes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MikeTurin

Overconsumption of fructose is a problem, because is transformed in the liver in fats and if too much fat is produced this will cause fatty liver.
    I suppose that eating some fruit could be easily managed, but if one eat a lot of sucrose- or high fructose corn syrup could have a lot of problem. Before the '80 the non alcoholic fatty syndrome was almost unknown.

11. Bluetit1802

Presumably that was before the 5 a day was encouraged, based on figures plucked from the air

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MikeTurin

Five a day was a 1990 thing and is not a widely followed advice: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-18984025
    Besides Mediterraean diet or the diet before WWII was not five a day but more 25 a day.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I eat fruit, but only one or two small bites. I have 12 guinea-pigs, they need extra vitamin c, so they get the rest. I'm on insulin, but still, a whole orange is more difficult to dose for than a big piece of cake, so I gave up on eating a whole fruit at one time.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Saorlan

Saorlan Type 2 · Member

No! I’ve had the same experience. Desperate for some pineapple and really, really enjoyed it but it put my blood glucose up to 13 from 7. I miss fruit but have learned to love raspberries and blueberries!

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. knoxy55

knoxy55 Type 2 · Active Member

I eat blueberries, raspberries and strawberries, but also like nectarines would they cause a big spike?

16. Bluetit1802

Probably, but try them and test.

17. Peterseaford

Peterseaford Type 2 · Active Member

When I eat a banana when would I test to see if it spiked my bag
    Would I take a reading - then eat the fruit then abstain from eating drinking for 2 hours then test again ?

Kind regards
    Peter

18. Bluetit1802

Bananas are very quick to release the glucose. They are almost instant, which is why athletes munch them during competitions, especially tennis players between games. If you want to test one, test before you eat it then again an hour after first bite and again at 90 minutes and again at 2 hours.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. dkkc

dkkc Type 2 · Member

I have the same problem so completely avoid oranges. Can just about manage a few pieces of pineapple. Other fruits like lychees, grapes, cherries, strawberries - as long as small portion, it is ok. I have started using freestyle but haven't had any fruits since started using freestyle. I will try and see spike I get with fruits so I can control the intake

20. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

How does your bg react to plantain?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook