Carb counting

cocobee.2017

Hi I have returned after falling off the wagon (again!) and need to lose a lot of weight as I am prediabetic. Just got this app to start low carbing is 60gm a day a good number to start with? I think realistically this is the lowest I can go.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I have returned after falling off the wagon (again!) and need to lose a lot of weight as I am prediabetic. Just got this app to start low carbing is 60gm a day a good number to start with? I think realistically this is the lowest I can go.
Only you, time and your meter can tell. Sounds like a reasonable place to start. Are you testing before eating and 2 hours after (minimum)? And writing down everything you eat and your test results?

Reactions: cocobee.2017

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started low carbing at less than 100g/day and then after 6 weeks I dropped to between 50-70g/day. I took this stepped approach and avoided carb flu. Nowadays I’m under 60g on week days but nearer 70g on Sunday (roast lunch and tea at ILs!) I’ve maintained this for nearly ten months and rarely feel hungry. On the odd occasion I feel hungry I have a no carb drink and remind myself why I’m doing it.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In my case it was actually easier to go full tilt into the keto route of around 15/20g of carbs a day. There was no leeway, no excuses, just had to go for it. But I'm an all or nothing kind of personality - given wriggle room and I'm an eel! Very strict limits work best. I lost 6 stone and headed off a diagnosis but it's not a sustainable method for everyone. Best of luck, whatever you go for.

cocobee.2017

Thanks all. Yes I do hv a meter but hv to get more strips. I stopped testing because my thumb got sore! + when I tried other fingers, that hurt more than the thumb so I eventually gave up + it all went downhill from there. Maybe deep down I was looking for an excuse to keep eating carbs. I love my sandwiches + comfort foods such as mashed potato. Tried WW, that didn't work. Tried online fitness plan with so called "balanced" diet, that didn't work either. Omg I even tried hypnotism. Always felt hungry for more + more carbs and sugar. Got a cruise coming up in a months time too! Thank you for your opinions + how you have approached this, really helpful to me + much appreciated.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stopped testing because my thumb got sore! + when I tried other fingers, that hurt more than the thumb so I eventually gave up
Some writers suggest pricking the side of the finger (beside the nail) instead of the ball, as there are fewer pain sensors there.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
In my case it was actually easier to go full tilt into the keto route of around 15/20g of carbs a day. There was no leeway, no excuses, just had to go for it. But I'm an all or nothing kind of personality - given wriggle room and I'm an eel! Very strict limits work best. I lost 6 stone and headed off a diagnosis but it's not a sustainable method for everyone. Best of luck, whatever you go for.
Glad it’s not just me - I took the “go big or go home” approach and went from chips and pasta to full keto :D

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Glad it’s not just me - I took the “go big or go home” approach and went from chips and pasta to full keto :D

Love the "go big or go home" quote. Best to understand our personality type and work with it rather than fight. Keep succeeding! :D

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Love the "go big or go home" quote. Best to understand our personality type and work with it rather than fight. Keep succeeding! :D
“Bull in a china shop” may also have been muttered by my husband...

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
“Bull in a china shop” may also have been muttered by my husband...

My hubby knows me scarily well and just went with it. He's lost 3 stone and is a convert to low carb so it's worked out well. Step by step by step... ;)

Reactions: Guzzler

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My hubby knows me scarily well and just went with it. He's lost 3 stone and is a convert to low carb so it's worked out well. Step by step by step... ;)
Mine is still sticking to low fat - he feels that as he has a lot of heart disease in his family that is best. Which is fair enough. He was quite sceptical of LCHF at first, but he’s seen how well I feel on it and is being really supportive. He’s very active with his job and doesn’t need to lose any weight.

Personally I think he’s just jealous of all that cheese :smug:

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Mine is still sticking to low fat - he feels that as he has a lot of heart disease in his family that is best. Which is fair enough. He was quite sceptical of LCHF at first, but he’s seen how well I feel on it and is being really supportive. He’s very active with his job and doesn’t need to lose any weight.

Personally I think he’s just jealous of all that cheese :smug:

Whatever he chooses, and he can only make decisions that work for him, brilliant that he's supporting you. Good man! Cheese was one of the reasons I went keto - blue, goat's, extra-mature cheddar... mmmmmm.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Whatever he chooses, and he can only make decisions that work for him, brilliant that he's supporting you. Good man! Cheese was one of the reasons I went keto - blue, goat's, extra-mature cheddar... mmmmmm.
I have to stick to non-cow cheese, but there’s a good amount of variety. Found a nice blue one the other day!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I tried this too, still hurt, I must just be a great big chicken lol but thank you anyway for your suggestion

I must have hands like a navvy, it has never hurt me even on number 5.
You know what they say, what can't think can't feel ;)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried this too, still hurt, I must just be a great big chicken lol but thank you anyway for your suggestion
I am wondering if the problem is with your lancet "gun". I have acquired several over time and they ranged from one that was so feeble it didn't pierce my skin to one so violent I only ever used it once. I am currently using one I got free from Spirit (TEE2). http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ If you order a free meter from them you will get a free gun included. Actually, the first one I got from them in that way was the feeble one, so that might suit your sensitive fingers. I then rang them to complain and they sent me free the medium strong one I now use. If you should decide to buy a CodeFree meter, that too will come with a gun, but I think it may be one of the stronger ones.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am wondering if the problem is with your lancet "gun". I have acquired several over time and they ranged from one that was so feeble it didn't pierce my skin to one so violent I only ever used it once. I am currently using one I got free from Spirit (TEE2). http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ If you order a free meter from them you will get a free gun included. Actually, the first one I got from them in that way was the feeble one, so that might suit your sensitive fingers. I then rang them to complain and they sent me free the medium strong one I now use. If you should decide to buy a CodeFree meter, that too will come with a gun, but I think it may be one of the stronger ones.

I use the lancet device which came with my Code Free. It has depth settings from 1-5 including half increments so I can always find a suitable setting depending on which finger/thumb I’m using.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the lancet device which came with my Code Free. It has depth settings from 1-5 including half increments so I can always find a suitable setting depending on which finger/thumb I’m using.
Indeed, but one of my devices is too violent on the gentlest setting, and another was too weak on the strongest! They really do vary a lot. Some of mine go from 1 to 7, others from 1 to 5, but I have to admit none of them has half settings. That's real luxury!