Am I diabetic or prediabectic

Chrisvw70_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
5 months ago the doc told me I was diabetic sugar levels 13.5 today I have my first review after losing 2 stone the doctors told me I am now pre diabetic does this mean I don’t have diabetes now I’m confused

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When you were diagnosed, was the 13.5 an HbA1c test? (the test that measures an average blood sugar over the previous 2 to 3 months)

On your review today, what was the HbA1c result?

If you don't know, then it is important you find out. You can ring your surgery and ask for print outs of both sets of tests.

I'm afraid we have too little information to help you, but it is most likely that you were a T2 diabetic but have now managed to bring this under control to reach the "at risk" range - although this does not mean you aren't still diabetic.

Reactions: Chrisvw70_

Chrisvw70_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When you were diagnosed, was the 13.5 an HbA1c test? (the test that measures an average blood sugar over the previous 2 to 3 months)

If you don't know, then it is important you find out. You can ring your surgery and ask for print outs of both sets of tests.

I'm afraid we have too little information to help you, but it is most likely that you were a T2 diabetic but have now managed to bring this under control to reach the "at risk" range - although this does not mean you aren't still diabetic.

Hi my result was 39mmols which my doctor said is now pre diabetic thanks in advance

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my result was 39mmols which my doctor said is now pre diabetic thanks in advance

an HbA1c of 39 is in the non-diabetic band.

under 42 is non-diabetic
42 to 47 is pre-diabetic
48 and above is diabetic.

What it means is you have managed to control your diabetes with whatever method you chose. If you stray it will come back.
Well done! Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Chrisvw70_

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a distinct lack of labels for what happens when someone is getting normal readings after being diagnosed as fully diabetic - I am in the same situation, but whatever we are it seems to be a good place to be.

Happyhomelands

There is a distinct lack of labels for what happens when someone is getting normal readings after being diagnosed as fully diabetic - I am in the same situation, but whatever we are it seems to be a good place to be.
I've got my review coming up. My GP didn't give me the T2 label possibly being kind. In my review I plan to insist on the diagnosis because I've had sight problems and some strange sensations. Although I accept that my Ac1 at 50 was not dramatic, I've read that some t2s with moderate glucose can still have damage and I'd like to be checked over. I've done eat then test and have learned a lot about my metabolism. If I don't restrict my carbs, avoid certain foods and manage dawn phenomenon, rising glucose when fasting then my glucose simply goes back to the bad days.
I think I am T2 diet controlled, not resolved and certainly not non diabetic.

The lack of accuracy in describing this situation is very frustrating and could be dangerous to the health of some people. In these days of suing for inaccurate diagnosis I'm amazed that GPs aren't being more cautious.

Arlmy

5 months ago the doc told me I was diabetic sugar levels 13.5 today I have my first review after losing 2 stone the doctors told me I am now pre diabetic does this mean I don’t have diabetes now I’m confused

Hi Chrisvw70_

I am also pre diabetic- As part of a low carb diet I have porridge oats at least twice a week mixed with blueberries and pecans in whole milk
I don’t test my blood glucose though. I feel great.

Bobby_J

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I think I'm in a similar situation, I am delicately balanced on a see saw. Can you tell me specifically what numbers the "at risk range" are and why that would not be pre-diabetes. Thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'm in a similar situation, I am delicately balanced on a see saw. Can you tell me specifically what numbers the "at risk range" are and why that would not be pre-diabetes. Thanks

The "at risk" range is the same as pre-diabetic. It is what my surgery calls it because they have a separate register for such people.
It is 42 to 47.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Chrisvw70_

I am also pre diabetic- As part of a low carb diet I have porridge oats at least twice a week mixed with blueberries and pecans in whole milk
I felt great most of the time... until I was diagnosed with Type 2. That's why we recommend testing before and then 2 hours after you eat. A huge amount of people are diagnosed with no symptoms whatsoever but they still have very high blood sugar readings. It is having high blood sugar that can lead to health issues in the future. A lot of people also get large spikes after porridge although others don't... testing here could be very informative.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, this is a subject very close to my own heart, recently, particularly since getting my life insured. When money is on the line all number of realities come to the fore! As a label is not just a label, it seems. It is also a prediction of too-early death, when it comes to medical labels of metabolic diseases in our case.

I was diagnosed as type two, and got my HBA1c down to prediabetic levels in the countries I have lived in since diagnosis and has been since for about three and a half years. I got them down without medication, and they have stayed there. I say exactly this when expressing my diabetes status.

So I naievely thought that made me 'intermediate hyperglycemic' as prediabetes (here HBA!c 41-49 inclusive) is officially called in New Zealand. Or in official remission (as in stable for two years plus) from full-blown type two to having stable steady intermediate levels. That's what I thought! But I thought wrong. There is no official remission here in NZ. Once you are diagnosed as type two, that's it forever, apparently, as discussed above.

When the insurance underwriters upped my insurance premiums times three, and there was nought a word in their assessment about intermediate anything, I realised I am type two still, just as if I had never gone from 93 to the low to mid 40s and stayed there, within six months post diagnosis. Still officially type two, with the same projected life-ending-too-early events, and a lowered life expectancy, is what it all means. My insurance agent managed to get them to merely double the premiums, which I understand, as he had met me, and I am clearly a fit middle-aged specimen. (I discussed this with him later.)

I had a long convo with my otherwise wonderful GP about it. And yes, I am 'type two with tight controlled blood glucose', forever now.

I do believe this is ridiculous labelling that does not acknowledge what people like us have done to improve our health. Genuinely improve, as reflected in weighing up the evidence from our blood lipid results.

But our 'generation' of folks with diabetes might be the ones who get this changed, and we have to continue to survive past what I believe is the outmoded predictions, in order to do that?

No wonder you are confused about the labelling @Chrisvw70_ , wondering how you refer to it yourself. It is a highly confusing and controversial topic.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah once they stick you with "Type 2 Diabetes" they might as well tattoo it on your freaking forehead. Try getting life insurance with that one. I say a lot of "pre-diabetic" persons might spend a whopping $20 at Walmart for a meter and 50 strips and stay away from doctors unless you think you've got something wrong with you.

Reactions: STARRYNIGHTS

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is a very good question. My latest bloods put me now firmly in the pre-diabetic range having reduced them from 111 to 59 to now 45.
My cousin's husband used to boast to me all the time how he reversed his - his latest bloods have put him at an A1C of 59 - so his control has gone haywire.

It does seem that once you are diagnosed - in the eyes of the medicos, you are forever 'branded' but hey, free prescriptions so... ok then.

From my perspective - I need to continue to work hard to keep my levels as they are, so I view it as the start of remission, and I think the view of staying in that level or below consistently is the key, but if I think I can go back to cheeky Friday takeaways and trips to the chippy... probably not more than the occasional treat from now.

Reactions: rom35

Dr_Ian_Dickson

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Poor advice and medical care
This is an important question that is not really able to be answered. I’ll try to explain a little more. The current diagnostic levels on fasting, 2hr post eating glucose (similar to randomly being tested) were based on longer term risks for developing small blood vessel disease in the eyes and kidneys. It is only fairly recently that many people with a T2D diagnosis based on these measurements have reversed their BG control, back into the prediabetic or non diabetic ranges. We don’t know for sure if this categorically reverses the longer term risks (hopefully it does). So once diagnosed in the UK you should get at least Annual screening for these “complications” to be sure you haven’t developed them - eye screening, urine screening etc. Early detection is crucial to avoid bigger problems later down the line. Hopefully in the fullness of time more research will give answers. In Scotland where I worked having a diagnosis on your record helped you get these screening tests. Obviously around the world it is very different and yes Health Insurance will be adversely affected by a diagnosis which I agree is harsh if you are now “not diabetic”
It’s excellent work for any person whose diagnosed to reverse this and it should hopefully translate into better health and fewer complications in the future. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: AloeSvea and rom35

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Chrisvw70_

Wow - I'd really advise testing - that is seriously high carb - blueberries are over 10 percent carbs, way more than other berries. Oats - they spike many people. At least the pecans are low, and the fat content of the milk might help a bit.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think different GP's have different ideas on what pre diabetic/at risk diabetes levels are. I was diagnosed T2 with a 46 HbA1c some say that is prediabetic mine says that is diabetes

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi...i was diagnosed Borderline at 6.3 but that was in December 2013 I am now Diabetic since March this year.
Prediabetic means your heading that way that's what i was told...change your diet and be more active but i stl became Diabetic!!!

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think different GP's have different ideas on what pre diabetic/at risk diabetes levels are. I was diagnosed T2 with a 46 HbA1c some say that is prediabetic mine says that is diabetes
I was diagnosed Borderline at 6.3 December 2013 March 2018 i am Diabetic despite doing what i was asked my HbA1c came back 55!!! nurse called me in to surgery and broke it to me!!!they said it was a controllable disease!!!!

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Well at least if you're going backwards it's better than forwards and upwards!!!

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
an HbA1c of 39 is in the non-diabetic band.

under 42 is non-diabetic
42 to 47 is pre-diabetic
48 and above is diabetic.

What it means is you have managed to control your diabetes with whatever method you chose. If you stray it will come back.
Well done! Keep up the good work.
Can you keep it under control when u get it under bcos i heard it gets harder and even good control ppl stl get complications!!!