latest HbA1c... well actually fine

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked my latest HbA1c up un the web... I have gained 20 kg because my metabolism has been put down.... it looked far too high because of metformin... and then I stopped taking metformin and that showed that my true metabolic hormon levels were quite out of whack.... actually I am angry with my GP because I told her all along the way that this extremely high level of metabolism is simply not true... she said these fluctuations happens all the time.... NO it does not just happen out of the blue not even taking metformin..

I have decided to take the control in spite of her ... of cause I can not do that for good because I depend totally on her willingness to prescribe me my thyroid hormons as my metabolism is totally artificial as my gland is dead.....
well but in spite of not taking metformin any longer since early january my HbA1c is only 6.1mmol or around 36.5 ... so actually I am quite happy with that...

and now I am like Sissyfos going to do all the hard work once more loosing the 20 kg once more....I was so proud loosing 35 kg initially on only 1000 calories daily.... seems like I am deemed to do that once more hopefully not forever....

well wish me luck... sending my warmest regards to all you that struggle with all those many kinds of adding conditions... it is really a tough job we have like forever

Last edited:
Reactions: Struma

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your hbac1 @Freema i know it’s all been difficult for you because of your thyroid condition you must be relieved about this. Wishing you so much luck with the challenge ahead re tackling your weight yet again it seems very unfair. Sending a wArm hug over to you

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your hbac1 @Freema i know it’s all been difficult for you because of your thyroid condition you must be relieved about this. Wishing you so much luck with the challenge ahead re tackling your weight yet again it seems very unfair. Sending a wArm hug over to you

thank you for your good wishes and hug it means a lot to me :) on this tough ride

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Your a1c is great.

You have the know how to do this. Any chance of changing doctor?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your a1c is great.

You have the know how to do this. Any chance of changing doctor?

thank you dear .. :)yes my HbA1c is okay..

I don't want to change doctor... they are very much the same here in DK .. they look up in their doctors-bible and if nothing is mentioned there it doesn´t exist... I think many of them think they know all when they have finished their education... I hope she´ll accept my way in the long run....and I´ll buy some more hormones when I go to Mexico... if I can buy them without prescription which I think I can.. then I can wait a longer period before going there again... the diabetes is under control and I can keep it there without medication.. so it is all about my metabolism now...

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Your HbA1c is tremendous, and with your thyroid issues and weight gain it is even more exceptional. You should be proud of yourself. Well done. :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your HbA1c is tremendous, and with your thyroid issues and weight gain it is even more exceptional. You should be proud of yourself. Well done. :)

thank you, dear... I think that my muscle building is a big part of the reason to my rather lowish HbA1c .. so maybe my main reason to diabetes was being totally sedentary and others have different reasons for their diabetes.. recently some scientists deciphering diabetes to being from 5 different reasons... https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...arate-diseases,-researchers-say-95452440.html

maybe it is essentiaæ to know more of what kind of diabetes type 2 one has then

Reactions: Goonergal

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you, dear... I think that my muscle building is a big part of the reason to my rather lowish HbA1c .. so maybe my main reason to diabetes was being totally sedentary and others have different reasons for their diabetes.. recently some scientists deciphering diabetes to being from 5 different reasons... https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...arate-diseases,-researchers-say-95452440.html

maybe it is essentiaæ to know more of what kind of diabetes type 2 one has then

Have you researched reasons why the HbA1c produces falsely low or falsely high results? One of the reasons is thyroid issues.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well 6.1 is fine! It's sad that you're having some trouble, but you lost the weight once so I'm sure you can do it again! Good luck :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you researched reasons why the HbA1c produces falsely low or falsely high results? One of the reasons is thyroid issues.
metformin lowers the thyroid stimulating hormons and thus makes it seem like ones metabolism is far too high... but the GP´s are like robots conserning TSH=thyroid stimulation hormons and read the numbers as if they were truely reliable... even when I asked if she knew that this phenomenon accured she just said yes but this is far too high..(which it wasn´t actually )

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

well I didn´t answer your question.. but I guess too low metabolism can create a far too high HbA1c which is not false but actually created by ones body's total processes going in a much to low speed.. seems like GP´s set a person´s level of artificial thyroid hormones on a slump and only are concerned to have it in the middle of considered normal levels even when most people say themselves that they thrive the best in the higher range of normal levels of thyroid hormones...
as long as it is in the normal range I find it to be a human right oneself to chose at which level one wants to be at

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
well I didn´t answer your question.. but I guess too low metabolism can create a far too high HbA1c which is not false but actually created by ones body's total processes going in a much to low speed.. seems like GP´s set a person´s level of artificial thyroid hormones on a slump and only are concerned to have it in the middle of considered normal levels even when most people say themselves that they thrive the best in the higher range of normal levels of thyroid hormones...
as long as it is in the normal range I find it to be a human right oneself to chose at which level one wants to be at

I have never had thyroid problems so don't understand much of it. However, this may interest you as far as HbA1c is concerned
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5240076/

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never had thyroid problems so don't understand much of it. However, this may interest you as far as HbA1c is concerned
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5240076/

thank you dear <3 :) well yes it seems HbA1c can get higher in people with too low metabolism even when daily blood glucose levels are not too high then... to be hypothyroid is a very unhealthy state to be in ..(well hyperthyroid condition is also very unhealthy and ribs one's bones of calcium if untreated ) in old days people ended up mentally retarded and obese in extreme ways even when eating too little food for the acquired weight gain...

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Freema well done on keeping your HbA1c so low. You were one of the first people to inspire me on this forum and I’m totally in awe of your exercise regime. I do hope you’re able to overcome the issues you’re having with your thyroid and your GP’s management of it.