Libre NHS criteria

Neilwalker1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Was given the senors on prescription by my go and have received 9 senors only to now be told that’s it they can’t / won’t issue me with anymore

reidy

My doctor at central middlesex hospital wanted to give me the Libre as my sugars are sometimes erratic and I go low very often. She was shocked when she checked the criteria for our region.. she said it would exclude most diabetics and that she could only think of 5 people who would be eligible. You would have had been treated multiple times in a&e for severe hypos and would have to have a hba1c average of 69 and above.. there was more but i've forgotten.

We both thought it was ridiculous. It's completely unfair to give us hope by making it available on the NHS and then taking that hope away by creating such strict and impossible criteria.

My father (who's type 2 diabetic) was told by his doctor at another hospital that if he was type 1 he would have given him the Libre. This leads me to think, if I requested to move to his hospital, would I have the option of the Libre? I'm very confused by this system.

My doctor told me we should all complain to those responsible about this issue as it is totally unfair. It would be useful for us to collectively lobby against this.

reidy

Was given the senors on prescription by my go and have received 9 senors only to now be told that’s it they can’t / won’t issue me with anymore
I agreeI havie remitting MS and Type 1 Diabetes and cant get Libre although my BS and Neuropathy cause me lots of yrouble

JanJobson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Lateness, Wrong Grammar,Litter Dropping
Hi. I too am waiting over 3 weeks for my sensor. Wrote several emails letting them know I'm not happy! Mines now been picked but still have got another 5 workings days at least! I have just been on the Asda site and tried to find the sensors. Can't find anything. What did you put in the search? I've tried everything but only getting Gillette sensors lol! :)

Clementine68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a Freestyle Libre which I got for free when I took part in a trial. Now though this expensive piece of kit is just sitting in a box doing nothing. It's really frustrating as I found it really useful and helped me to see patterns but like most people I cannot afford £100 a month as my GP surgery will not prescribe me the sensors.

What makes me laugh is if it's about cost it makes no sense. Test strips cost at least £25 for 50 and lancets about £5 per box. I get 200 strips and 2 boxes of lancets a month so the price difference is minimal.

Top_Barman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In my area there are several criteria you have to conform to, but the most ridiculous one to me is my HbA1c has to be BELOW 58. Mine has been as high as 90+ in the past, and I have it down to mid 60's but it has to be lower (therefore under better control anyway) to get the piece of kit that would help me get it lower.

English_Rose

My doctor at central middlesex hospital wanted to give me the Libre as my sugars are sometimes erratic and I go low very often. She was shocked when she checked the criteria for our region.. she said it would exclude most diabetics and that she could only think of 5 people who would be eligible. You would have had been treated multiple times in a&e for severe hypos and would have to have a hba1c average of 69 and above.. there was more but i've forgotten.

We both thought it was ridiculous. It's completely unfair to give us hope by making it available on the NHS and then taking that hope away by creating such strict and impossible criteria.

My father (who's type 2 diabetic) was told by his doctor at another hospital that if he was type 1 he would have given him the Libre. This leads me to think, if I requested to move to his hospital, would I have the option of the Libre? I'm very confused by this system.

My doctor told me we should all complain to those responsible about this issue as it is totally unfair. It would be useful for us to collectively lobby against this.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
heavens above these articals about 'Libra' makes me laugh, Libra in Australia is a sanitary pad.
LK Lorraine
Yes, I wondered that too when I first read about the device. It does seem like a most unfortunate name... Just wander down to the feminine hygiene aisle in your favourite supermarket....

Reactions: JC Durant
Type of diabetes
Type 1
I blame the pharmaceutical companies they just want to make money off our ill health! Making us dependant on medication so that can make large profits. If the cost was reasonable then I'm sure healthcare providers etc would make it more widely available! £50 per sensor!!!!!! No wonder there is a strict criteria. However the criteria set shld be practical to help manage diabetes (those that are struggling) and consistent throughout the country!

dkkc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It depends where you buy from. Even buying directly from Abbott there is no sure date as to when you will get it. If it is delayed, they just say sorry and waive delivery charge on next order. Unfortunately the cost of sensors are very high and NHS has tight budget - they have to restrict as to who gets them - though it should be same policy every hospital. It is a monopoly situation and all the companies exploit to the max. As soon as some other companies come up with alternative, price will certainly drop. If any one is using the sensors and travelling, make sure you take enough sensors to cover the trip. The readers are region specific and sensors bought in any other country will not work with UK reader.

Reactions: ringi

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I blame the pharmaceutical companies they just want to make money off our ill health! Making us dependant on medication so that can make large profits. If the cost was reasonable then I'm sure healthcare providers etc would make it more widely available! £50 per sensor!!!!!! No wonder there is a strict criteria. However the criteria set shld be practical to help manage diabetes (those that are struggling) and consistent throughout the country!

The actual cost to Pharmacies is £35 plus £7 VAT which they claim back.

Reactions: urbanracer

VivD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
bigoted and selfish people, this Government, grey cold windy days
As each CCG makes individual decisions about the majority of meds and the joint CCG's make major decisions for the footprint this is not going to improve as this Govt rolls out it's plans for the NHS
Buying your own suits them well and is all well and good for some of us but is the thin end of a big wedge. Remember eye care was once the remit of the NHS and free and NHS dentists are no longer readily available. This is a much bigger problem than the accessibility of libre.

honda90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had a reply from my MP, I went to see him if he would write to the York CCG, I have shared copies of the letters I have received from him and them. Looks like good news in York, wont let me share a link until I have 3 posts I will post the link after I make another post

Reactions: EllieM and kev-w

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In my area there are several criteria you have to conform to, but the most ridiculous one to me is my HbA1c has to be BELOW 58. Mine has been as high as 90+ in the past, and I have it down to mid 60's but it has to be lower (therefore under better control anyway) to get the piece of kit that would help me get it lower.
That seems completely wrong to me. I can understand that someone somewhere might think they're 'rewarding' people who are proactive and work hard at their control. But with the best will in the world, some of us may never reach that standard. My HbA1c only came down to 57 last month for the first time in over ten years, and I certainly don't neglect my condition...

Reactions: Woollie <3

JC Durant

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand that type 1 s are prescribed by the NHS for Libre in Essex but not Greater London which will get the prescription directive to GP in Q2. I wrote to my MP on this subject and she is supporting the ending of post code prescription differences. Re Sensor availability . I have been waiting 4 weeks and gave up after walking into Boots ordering two sensors which arrived the next day at the same cost ex shipping as Abbott.

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just found out this week that my local Asda will order them in for a cost of £44 each. So I am going to cancel my order will Abbott and just buy them cheaper at my local store. I have an appointment with my GP to discuss this again, next week as my local CCG has made a decision and according to their own guidlines, I meet the criteria they have set out..

Freestyleuser

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just found out this week that my local Asda will order them in for a cost of £44 each. So I am going to cancel my order will Abbott and just buy them cheaper at my local store. I have an appointment with my GP to discuss this again, next week as my local CCG has made a decision and according to their own guidlines, I meet the criteria they have set out..
Where is this Asda store located?

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
I have now been to several pharmacies, Boots said £63, no mention of knocking off the VAT as they should for diabetic products, Asda the same price and didn't know anything about not charging VAT, Tesco didn't do them at all but I have ordered two from a Lloyds pharmacy that's inside Sainsburys for £46.36 (no VAT charged) with a delivery of 3-5 days. I went to my local Lloyds and they hadn't registered with Abbot but would do it and let me know so that I can get them even more locally than from Sainsburys. It looks like Abbot have decided to do all the supplying through pharmacies according to their literature which I suppose makes more sense to only deliver to them instead of to private houses all over the place. Would like to know if they can be bought for less than I paid so will keep asking other pharmacies in my area. The NHS pay £35 each for them so there's still hope I can find them cheaper!

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
UPDATE: Just had a call to say that the two sensors I ordered yesterday morning from Lloyds pharmacy in Sainsburys are waiting for collection - WOW!