Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

CSmith79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
3 weeks ago I went to get my result from my doctor and he said my average is 134... although having been T1 Diabetic since 2009 and poorly managing it ever since I’m actually not sure what the figure means apart from the obvious that I’m extremely high. Naturally it now goes with out saying that ever since that appointment I’m back on injecting as I should and looking at a DAFNE course soon... As well as having another blood test very soon...

I assume the health implications for being this high are not good...

Is anyone else this high or been this high??

Reactions: gemma_T1

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosis in October I was 14%.

First A1C since today and I was 6.4%. I think i'm happy.....although I have nothing to compare to, only at diagnosis when I was DKA. I think it's in the pre-diabetes range?

Reactions: Richard Fuller

River83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
3 weeks ago I went to get my result from my doctor and he said my average is 134... although having been T1 Diabetic since 2009 and poorly managing it ever since I’m actually not sure what the figure means apart from the obvious that I’m extremely high. Naturally it now goes with out saying that ever since that appointment I’m back on injecting as I should and looking at a DAFNE course soon... As well as having another blood test very soon...

I assume the health implications for being this high are not good...

Is anyone else this high or been this high??

If your HbA1c is 134 or 14.4%, it is crazy high and you really need to get on top of your diabetes management asap. I would recommend the Dafne course if carb counting is not something you're familiar with, but would also suggest you look into lchf diet options. You should speak to your endo or diabetes nurse asap as they will be able to provide assistance with working out a better regime of treatment. I hope you manage to turn this around.

deniski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
annually it's 7.0 or 7.1
I'm very active and do a lot of sport so don't want to run lower blood sugars as I get enough near hypos as it is.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
BMs vary a lot not associated to carbs as overnight have adjusted for dawn phenomenon 5Am ish. But age and hormonal changes due to age( 56) causing problems high one day- no food- am low / another high ! Doing at least 3/4 hr - 90 mins exercise 5-6 days a week. Last Hba1c 7.4 but only an average have been using pump for 2 years now. But highs and lows frustrating despite Basel adjusted as needed. BMs vary from 3- 14 . Diabetic since age of 4 1/2 frustrating. Started regular exercises about 4-5 months ago.

Last edited:

CSmith79

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your HbA1c is 134 or 14.4%, it is crazy high and you really need to get on top of your diabetes management asap. I would recommend the Dafne course if carb counting is not something you're familiar with, but would also suggest you look into lchf diet options. You should speak to your endo or diabetes nurse asap as they will be able to provide assistance with working out a better regime of treatment. I hope you manage to turn this around.

Thank you River. I’m going to work very hard at turning it around and appreciate your words

Reactions: Richard Fuller

daemoncor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Onions.
That’s an awesome job you’ve done to bring it down.

Don’t be disheartened if what the app tells you isn’t quite the reality. Unless you’re measuring every five minutes it’s really not going to be a great prediction. I’ve learnt that the hard way!! Your body’s response to storing carbs/glucose and any number of other variables also comes into it.

I certainly hope you get a number 6 - good luck for your next test.

Thank you! I've set myself goals to reduce my hba1c to 12%, then 10%, and so on. As long as I can tick off at least one of those, i'll be pleased!

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my 6 monthly review today and my HbA1c is 51 or 6.8%. Last time it was 52, 6.9% so seems to be nice and steady.

Raj2512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Was disgonosed as T1 in Oct 2017 with HbA1c of 14%. Jan 2018 it was 7.4% and Mar 2018 results were 6%.

The Doc says I should target about 7% and should increase my carb intake (from current 120 gms per day to 200gms per day).

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

No 5% club for me.

Stil, it's an important number!

d8247d31915ac5f923dfde0e109dea93.jpg

Last edited:

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not that awesome. This time last year I could have spent three months eating nothing but cookies and pizza and scored 30.

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not that awesome. This time last year I could have spent three months eating nothing but cookies and pizza and scored 30.

And you would have been doing damage to your body all the same.

Your score is better than mine (6.4%), and mine is good. I managed to climb a bloody mountain at the weekend.....so you are at least able to get your HBA1C to a good level, now work on the other stuff gradually.

Robjw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey
Diagnosis 6/16 I had a HbA1c of 8.0 %

9/16 it was 7.8 %

1/17 had dropped to 7.5 %

Every HbA1c since then has been 6.7 % . This is pretty good for me I feel any lower than this and I would be running my levels way too low for how active I am.