Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Onions.
Good evening everyone!

So, after my recent DKA, a doctor told me:

"I'm not going to shout at you. Be honest with me"

How are you all? Coping? Testing and injecting as you should be? Eating a little too much when low?

Let it out, have a vent. i'd love to hear from you all; struggling or not!
:happy::***:

BananaK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The last couple of days have been a total struggle.

Choices of low treatment range from a 400g bag of lollies (yes, the whole bag...) to 3 hot cross buns with copious quantities of butter.

The resulting highs have been exhausting, then over-corrected to take us to the bottom again!!

And holding down an unreasonably stressful job is only being pursued because it pays the bills!!

Current reading is 18.1... but going in the right direction... (that’s downward in case it’s not clear)

Thanks for asking!! I feel better

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The past few weeks with this cold weather has been exhausting. I have 2 horses so no option but to trudge across fields to look after them and I've been eating cereal bars - without bolusing - like they are going out of fashion. Bloods still low, so all those carbs are just be used up. I must be dropping very low at times because I woke up on Sunday morning feeling like I had the hangover from hell. Not even a glass of wine on Saturday night to blame.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also quite rubbish. yesterday I was highly insulin resistant (it happens - hormones and whatnot) this morning I dropped from a respectable 7.2 to 2.2 in 30 mins. sense went out the window and I ate the contents of my car (panic!).

I'm now sitting at 27 and feeling like death (I'm also certain some of it is massive glucose dump) but I'm holding back on too much insulin as I have a 4 hour drive shortly. FML.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Tbh up and down and at times, I find it hard. Sometimes, you just feel like walking away from it all, but my fight will always be with me .....................
Hope your BS is more stabilised now @Engineer88

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh boy! Reading these has enforced my belief that I am b****dy glad I'm not a T1.
Hugs to you all.

Edited by mod for language

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BananaK

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
T2 seems like a walk in the park @Bluetit1802 . It isn't of course, simply relative.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also quite rubbish. yesterday I was highly insulin resistant (it happens - hormones and whatnot) this morning I dropped from a respectable 7.2 to 2.2 in 30 mins. sense went out the window and I ate the contents of my car (panic!).

I'm now sitting at 27 and feeling like death (I'm also certain some of it is massive glucose dump) but I'm holding back on too much insulin as I have a 4 hour drive shortly. FML.
The contents of my car are primarily horse food - I'll know it gets really bad when I'm tucking into a bag of that! Share your pain on not wanting to correct before driving. 30 mins at the side of a road while I ate everything in sight as the hypo from hell hit has taught me to 'drive high'

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well this month so far I've only had 2 major lows and 1 major high - if only I could work 7 days a week - it's the weekends that causes most variability! oh and breakfast...........and lunch...........and dinner.......and snacks........and drink......hic!...........and life in general............

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m mostly doing ok at the moment, I’ve got the new enthusiasm that comes with a fresh “project” - a different way of eating and a Libre in this instance. But I’m fearful that when the enthusiasm wanes (and it always does) that I’ll be back to terrible sugars and there isn’t any newer available tech to help me. I’ve got that sinking feeling that I’m in last chance saloon. Probably doesn’t help that I’ve got a stinking cold so am feeling very sorry for myself!

But in positive news, I made aubergine chips last night, with a spicy ground almond coating, and they were amazing! And we’ve been adopted by a very sweet little cat who was abandoned by her owner :cat:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I was doing quite well until I miscounted on a new half unit pen - 4 instead of 8 Levemir. Woke at 18 and wondered why. Thankful that that Novo Echo has a function that lets you see the last dose. What a daft thing to do! Ah well, downward and onward!

Reactions: therower and slip

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was doing quite well until I miscounted on a new half unit pen - 4 instead of 8 Levemir. Woke at 18 and wondered why. Thankful that that Novo Echo has a function that lets you see the last dose. What a daft thing to do! Ah well, downward and onward!
Oops. They are quite funky gadgets though, aren’t they? I got one last week - taking a while to get used to counting double the clicks!

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey All, am a T2 of almost 17years but just since last fall got really serious about it all....My heart goes out to all of you T1s and you amaze me, challenge me, inspire me.....honestly! It's the constant diligence that I find hard and sometimes just want to eat the Hubby's fresh loaf of challah bread! (sorry if spelled wrong!) lathered with butter and wild blueberry jam....or whatever else is handy.....!! With my numbers finally in a healthy range, they are only going to stay there if I work at this wholeheartedly, every day, despite others' saying "just take a bite", etc., etc. You all know what I mean! Keep up the good fight! Blessings/L

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Mistake's happen.........that's why we have a rubber on the end of pencil's ;) :p

I have an echo pen, it's just what I needed and it's great :)

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for starting this thread @daemoncor - it's really helpful for me - and others - to see that actually, other people do get up into the 20s after a hypo, and that the straight lines we see from CGM are not the norm.

At the moment diabetes is feeling like a nightmare for me. My control isn't terrible, and is better than it has been in the past, since switching to Tresiba, but I feel like diabetes is about to take all my dreams away from me. I'm currently an MSc student, doing my research project, and applying for PhDs for next year, but seriously questioning whether I should be, because every time I go into the lab, my stupid pancreas decides to find a new and interesting way to ruin the day. It's unpredictable and frustrating, and I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. For instance, if my dexcom beeps that I'm going high, great, but I'm not necessarily able to do anything about it at that time, because if I only have two minutes until I need to do something, it's going to take more than that for me to take my lab coat off, remove gloves, wash hands, go out of the room, walk down to the area where the bags etc are kept, do an actual test, inject, go back again, lab coat, gloves and so on. A pump would obviously be a game changer for me, because I could literally just take one glove off and deal with it, or set a lower basal rate, if I'm doing something like cell culture, which we do in a very very hot room, which tends to make me run lower. It being all over the place every day is exhausting, and it makes me look and feel incompetent, so I'm seriously wondering if I can actually pursue a career in research, or if I need a back up plan.

Sorry for the rant!

Thanks for your stories everyone :)

Reactions: BananaK

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @EllsKBells, congrats on the educational pursuits! Would you not qualify for a pump? I don't know where you live or what criteria need to be met to qualify, but hopefully you could give that to yourself as a graduation gift??! Keep plugging along, you are accomplishing a whole lot more than many who don't have diabetes! Blessings/L

Type1tracey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good evening everyone!

So, after my recent DKA, a doctor told me:

"I'm not going to shout at you. Be honest with me"

How are you all? Coping? Testing and injecting as you should be? Eating a little too much when low?

Let it out, have a vent. i'd love to hear from you all; struggling or not!
:happy::***: