Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Woke at 5.30am with a 2.9, after going to bed shattered and trying to get down from 15.2, I still managed to get out for a run this morning to try and bring me back down from a post high of 11.6, which worked and spent most of the day cruising below 8, have the bonus of a Libre at the moment which helps hugely throughout the day and can then see when I need to think about a correction or to deal with a falling bg.

It is always work in progress for me, no 2 days are the same, can do the same thing repeatedly and get multiple outcomes, am affected by stress, heat, hormones, exercise never mind the carbs...

Currently in training for my next JDRF challenege starting next week 'get your kit on' so running a marathon in 28 days, if anyone wants to join me let me know !!!

annieblade

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The past few weeks with this cold weather has been exhausting. I have 2 horses so no option but to trudge across fields to look after them and I've been eating cereal bars - without bolusing - like they are going out of fashion. Bloods still low, so all those carbs are just be used up. I must be dropping very low at times because I woke up on Sunday morning feeling like I had the hangover from hell. Not even a glass of wine on Saturday night to blame.
I thought it was just me struggling with the cold amd hypos. Going for a walk has been a nightmare because of the quantity of carbs I have to carry and I am NOT HUNGRY! Not helped by a new insulin routine which started as the snow began. It has really helped to know someone else has the same problem because I thought it was me getting it wrong! Mind you the additional carbs may help with the sudden sugar crashes but I am still struggling with the roller coaster effect of the subsequent highs!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm using lower carb bread so it works out that even if I eat three slices it's less than 50g carb a day and only two slices is sbout 30g a day.
I just know where I am with it. If I eat only that generally my sugars are between 5 and 8 all the time. Anything else seems to complicate matters. I am hardly a DAFNE success story! I used to be able to go out for meals etc but I cannot anymore. We had to go to s family meal at the weekend but I couldn't eat anything, had to watch everyone else eat their delicious looking food which was depressing.

Seriously you should just join in and eat, just don't go carb heavy, that's what I do when we go out, I eat the same as everyone else minus the carbs, ok so there might be a correction to do later with the guesswork but it's better than missing out.

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How are you all? Coping?

I don’t actually know..
I’ve kinda given in, a few weeks of travelling and my control has gone out of the window. I was tight and staying in range mostly with all the associated lows, lost awareness tho.
Now running mostly above 9/10.. bolusing occasionally, on the libre and not really finger pricking at the mo. I know this is temporary.. but the all encompassing numbers game took over and I’m trying to avoid it.

Reactions: BananaK

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@h4kr You will be fine, just take it easy in yourself and do what you need to do to get through the day, it will come right again.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm using lower carb bread so it works out that even if I eat three slices it's less than 50g carb a day and only two slices is sbout 30g a day.
I just know where I am with it. If I eat only that generally my sugars are between 5 and 8 all the time. Anything else seems to complicate matters. I am hardly a DAFNE success story! I used to be able to go out for meals etc but I cannot anymore. We had to go to s family meal at the weekend but I couldn't eat anything, had to watch everyone else eat their delicious looking food which was depressing.
How about cheese, or nuts and olives? I know you got bored senseless with omelettes, but adding in some ham, mushrooms, cheese or butter would keep you going and give you strength and some energy without raising your levels. Chicken with the skin on (I can’t remember if you eat meat, sorry) is a good, easily obtainable meal that you might find some pleasure from. Thinking of you x

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not great. I've had to give up eating. It's the only way to vaguely keep my blood sugars predictable. I'm down to three slices of toast a day (maximum) - one for each meal - and often I don't have the lunch one so only have two. I've lost two stone in the last six months and now have a bmi of under 17.
I can either eat and have erratic blood sugars or I can stave and have reasonable blood sugars. Not great either way but at least I hopefully won't go blind or lose a foot this way.

Being blunt. You may not get complications from too many carbs. But something else will get you. For a start you will go blind from a lack of basic nutrition. Or get any other numerous complications. You are basically starving yourself.
I am sure you know this, and it is important you seek medical help for what is a mental health issue. (I am sure this has been said before)
Accepting this will be your hardest battle, not the diabetes.

In other news, I am up or down and occasionally bang on. Each day is another chance to get it perfect!!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I don’t actually know..
I’ve kinda given in, a few weeks of travelling and my control has gone out of the window. I was tight and staying in range mostly with all the associated lows, lost awareness tho.
Now running mostly above 9/10.. bolusing occasionally, on the libre and not really finger pricking at the mo. I know this is temporary.. but the all encompassing numbers game took over and I’m trying to avoid it.

Hi @ h4kr, these temporary burnouts are not uncommon so don’t give yourself any grief about it. Maybe when you get back to the numbers game you could set your range a bit higher for a while so you avoid the lows for a bit. Cut yourself a bit of slack? It’s unlikely it’ll have any long lasting effect on your health and may be an easier way to learn how to run this T1 thing.

Reactions: h4kr

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you.. and bizarrely I feel better today.. upped my lantus by a couple of clicks. Woke up around the 5.1 mark. Decided that today is a positive, time to get my outstanding emails and reports done. Bit of carb counting and bolusing correctly. Not going to get obsessed with it as before.
I think Scott said in another thread.. don’t sweat it!
Maybe being too sugary was clouding a proper thought process...

Without sounding like a dope.. it’s this forum and being able to vent/moan and get positive responses that I think changes my mindset. I’m easily lifted from a dark place, love the support here.

View attachment 25782

Last edited:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@h4kr . Things will get better and easier. When I was diagnosed there was no internet or forums hence no " positive " information from everywhere.
It's great that we can all discuss our diabetes nowadays but for newcomers like yourself I think it can be to much information.
I can say in all honesty that I've never targeted a specific number on my meter, I only aim for an area.
I try to imagine it a bit like archery. Some people want the bullseye every time, me I just want to hit the target.
Broaden your targets and see how it goes for awhile.
Good luck.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
This made me giggle ( childish, warped humour )
On similar lines, would a condom on my novo pen stop me going high and low?

I can't stop giggling to write anything back!! lol

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When it gets to the point where even sitting around watching TV messes you up, you know life is basically ****.

The thing is, I still feel like me, I still have all the things in my head I used to want to do, and I still want to be good at what I do and useful to people, and now no matter what happens I will never actually be me again. I feel like a ghost.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm into my 10th month as a t1 and still in the honeymoon period. Hopefully I can keep this period going for as long as I can as it's providing me with a bit of help with my blood sugars. But it can also be a pain as injecting my novorapid is sometimes pot luck ( 2-6 u per meal depending on how greedy I feel).

My Lantus seems ok at 2u per day and this has helped stabilise my blood and also lets me eat up to 40g of carbs without any fast acting insulin ( when I'm at work to burn it off).

I have my moments when my blood sugars are in the 12 mmol region but i manage to sort that out quite quick. My meter has me averaging 6.9mmol so I'm happy with that.

The issues I'm currently facing is the boredom with food as I eat the same things as I know how it affects my body. Add this on top of being totally uncultured with food.

Any food tips would be good, as long as it doesn't include fish.

I have just weighed myself and I'm down to 11st 7lbs, this is the least I have weighed for 20 years and I need to put some weight on but I don't seem able to. I still eat quite a bit but I have an active job, I've been counting my steps and im avereging 20k steps a day which also keeps my bloods at bay.

I would say at the moment I'm managing with the help of my stuttering pancreas.

Cheers John

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm into my 10th month as a t1 and still in the honeymoon period. Hopefully I can keep this period going for as long as I can as it's providing me with a bit of help with my blood sugars. But it can also be a pain as injecting my novorapid is sometimes pot luck ( 2-6 u per meal depending on how greedy I feel).

My Lantus seems ok at 2u per day and this has helped stabilise my blood and also lets me eat up to 40g of carbs without any fast acting insulin ( when I'm at work to burn it off).

I have my moments when my blood sugars are in the 12 mmol region but i manage to sort that out quite quick. My meter has me averaging 6.9mmol so I'm happy with that.

The issues I'm currently facing is the boredom with food as I eat the same things as I know how it affects my body. Add this on top of being totally uncultured with food.

I have just weighed myself and I'm down to 11st 7lbs, this is the least I have weighed for 20 years and I need to put some weight on but I don't seem able to. I still eat quite a bit but I have an active job, I've been counting my steps and im avereging 20k steps a day which also keeps my bloods at bay.

Cheers John

My pancreas is stuttering also but I kind of wish it would just let me get on with it. Random hypos are exhausting.

Reactions: becca59 and h4kr

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
+1 to that.. I think it would be easier to manage if I had full control. This honeymoon/inconsistency is what gets me. I am no longer in control.. it’s a roll of the dice!

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My pancreas is stuttering also but I kind of wish it would just let me get on with it. Random hypos are exhausting.
Luckilly since i dropped my lantus to 2u from 4u then 3u I have not seen any hypos. The odd reading in and around 4 mmol and thats all. It's the fruit pastilles that keep me out of the hypo zone.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I woke at 7am reading 2.7 on the Libre, 2.9 on a finger stick and am waiting for my Humalog to kick in to remove the current spike so I can eat the second half of my breakfast before work.

Didn't help that I had my young un over for the night with an early start for maths club and I had a wobble on the push bike :p but that was an hour ago and is a fuzzy memory now.

Reactions: porl69

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Cheers John

I cannot tell you what to eat exactly as that is a personal choice. However, choose something you fancy and test out your reaction to it.
Only do this one item at a time. Some things will work, some won’t. Don’t lose heart, with perseverance you should be able to increase the variety in your diet.
I think sometimes we deny ourselves and get bored. Being good all the time is hard work and goes against human nature.
Good luck!

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Luckilly since i dropped my lantus to 2u from 4u then 3u I have not seen any hypos. The odd reading in and around 4 mmol and thats all. It's the fruit pastilles that keep me out of the hypo zone.
That seems a really tiny amount, I'm taking 8u in the morning and evening (this is not something I have permission to do but whatever)