Prediabetes Hi guys somebody explain me my Blood Glucose test results as HB1Ac is 6%, my Fasting is 152 mg/dl &

Raoof

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys somebody explain me my Blood Glucose test results as HB1Ac is 6%, my Fasting is 152 mg/dl & my PPBS is 140 it means I have Diabetes or not I am in confusion cold you please guys let me know what is the condition of my results

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you sure all your results are correct?

Your HbA1c is boredline, but not pre-diabetic yet. Your PPBS are very good, and do not indicate diabetes or pre-diabetes.

What I find strange is your FBS, 152 mg/dl are not good. With such a high FBS it’s strange that your HbA1c aren’t above 7%.

An HbA1c of 6% indicates an averange of 124 mg/dl, and thats way below your FBS.

Can I ask, did you do your FBS at home or at our GP?
Second, are you on a keto diet, low/zero carb or something similar?

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting at 152 mg/dl ( 8.4 mmol/l ) is diabetic
In Czech Republic FBG > 7.0 atomatically means "you have diabetes". So it is top priority to start some actions. From your HbA1c it looks like you have big chance to control it with diet and excercise only and with luck you can possibly revert it (or stop the progression).

Raoof

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure all your results are correct?

Your HbA1c is boredline, but not pre-diabetic yet. Your PPBS are very good, and do not indicate diabetes or pre-diabetes.

What I find strange is your FBS, 152 mg/dl are not good. With such a high FBS it’s strange that your HbA1c aren’t above 7%.

An HbA1c of 6% indicates an averange of 124 mg/dl, and thats way below your FBS.

Can I ask, did you do your FBS at home or at our GP?
Second, are you on a keto diet, low/zero carb or something similar?
Dear brother yes I did FBS at GP and second think Just I Quite sugar intake in Tea

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Fasting blood sugars aren't that reliable because of the dawn phenomenon (liver dumps out sugar to get you going in the morning). I'd go for controlling your diet so you don't become diabetic....

Raoof

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting blood sugars aren't that reliable because of the dawn phenomenon (liver dumps out sugar to get you going in the morning). I'd go for controlling your diet so you don't become diabetic....
yes sure give me diet plan for me

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
yes sure give me diet plan for me

You need to cut out sugar from sugar in tea, sugary drinks like soda and coke, cakes, biscuits, sweets, fruit, fruit juices, and ice cream etc.
That would be a good start for you. Then see how you go.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear brother yes I did FBS at GP and second think Just I Quite sugar intake in Tea

Well your results are kind of abnormal then. My advice would to be to wait and re-check HbA1c and FBS in 3 months. Because your spreading results now can’t pinpoint if your diabetic or not.

To make the new tests in 3 months relable it is imoportant to live normal, no diet yet, and check how your blood sugar are under normal circumstances.

Since your blood sugar are hard to tell from pre-diabetes to non-diabetic. I think it is a very bad idea to start dieting and avoiding sugar now. Such a plan might cause errors or diffeculties in diagnosing if you re-check in 3 months.

The problem with diets are that they give a wrong image of how your body handles sugar. Eat and live normal, and re-check in 3 months would help more to give you a correct diagnosis.

Only reason I see to re-test earlier than 3 months are if get sudden increased thirst, frequent urination and start losing weight (without trying).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since your blood sugar are hard to tell from pre-diabetes to non-diabetic. I think it is a very bad idea to start dieting and avoiding sugar now. Such a plan might cause errors or diffeculties in diagnosing if you re-check in 3 months.

The problem with diets are that they give a wrong image of how your body handles sugar. Eat and live normal, and re-check in 3 months would help more to give you a correct diagnosis.

In 3 months time, if he hasn't altered his diet, he may well have passed over to full blown diabetes. Also, sugar and carbs are bad for us in many other ways. So I cannot agree with you at all. He needs to start now, before it is too late. He is very borderline and needs to get this down to non-diabetic in all tests, if he can.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
In 3 months time, if he hasn't altered his diet, he may well have passed over to full blown diabetes. Also, sugar and carbs are bad for us in many other ways. So I cannot agree with you at all. He needs to start now, before it is too late. He is very borderline and needs to get this down to non-diabetic in all tests, if he can.

What do you mean with passes a full blown diabetes?

None of OPs blood work indicates diabetes, OP are only in the danger of pre-diabetes. OP did not mention any of the classic symptoms of diabetes either, and as long as those are abstance you should not start to worry people.

Also, what do you mean with start now, before it is too late? Type 1 are not preventable, and type 2 are not excately preventable either. If you are developing type 2 it will happen, eventually, but diet can help to normalize blood sugar and prevent symptoms.

There is no point in treating an illness you’re not having, in case you get it, thats a strange advice. As long as your not diabetic or pre-diabetic you should not treat yourself as one.

I wish people were more educated about diabetes before they start educating and start to freak people out. If OPs blood sugar continue raising I do agree that preventing and diet should be done. But OP have only had a single blood work done with the GP, and it might be false or errors because the different tests didn’t correlate with each other.

Then it is much better to wait, and re-test later to be sure that OP actually are (pre)diabetic before you start diet or medications. If OP starts dieting now it would be useless to take a new test in 3 months, and therefore very hard to tell if OP are non-diabetic, pre-diabetic or diabetic.

I’m not against preventing, but I’m against people freaking out by a single test. There are many non-diabetic causes that can make temporary blood sugar abnormalities. It is always safer to wait and take a few more tests to be completely sure before starting to give health advices.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
None of OPs blood work indicates diabetes, OP are only in the danger of pre-diabetes. OP did not mention any of the classic symptoms of diabetes either, and as long as those are abstance you should not start to worry people.

OP has a high fasting level, and if it was a true fasting level then it indicates diabetes. At the very least it indicates insulin resistance. He is highly unlikely to have any classic symptoms at these levels - many, many of us don't have any with much higher levels. I didn't. So that point is irrelevant. I am not attempting to worry him. He asked for a diet plan, and that is what he got, for better or for worse.

There is no point in treating an illness you’re not having, in case you get it, thats a strange advice. As long as your not diabetic or pre-diabetic you should not treat yourself as one.

This man is on the line between non-diabetic and pre-diabetic on 2 of his tests, and well over the line from pre diabetes to diabetes as far as FBG is concerned, so very possibly insulin resistant. He asked for a diet plan and has been advised to cut out sugar etc. There was no mention of low carb or any other drastic diet. That is good advice for anyone and not at all strange. What I find strange is someone telling him to carry on eating as he normally does for the next 3 months, in a "wait and see" scenario.

We will have to agree to disagree on this. No point in going round in circles arguing.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you mean with passes a full blown diabetes?

Also, what do you mean with start now, before it is too late? Type 1 are not preventable, and type 2 are not excately preventable either. If you are developing type 2 it will happen, eventually, but diet can help to normalize blood sugar and prevent symptoms.

I wish people were more educated about diabetes before they start educating and start to freak people out. If OPs blood sugar continue raising I do agree that preventing and diet should be done. But OP have only had a single blood work done with the GP, and it might be false or errors because the different tests didn’t correlate with each other.

Then it is much better to wait, and re-test later to be sure that OP actually are (pre)diabetic before you start diet or medications. If OP starts dieting now it would be useless to take a new test in 3 months, and therefore very hard to tell if OP are non-diabetic, pre-diabetic or diabetic.

I’m not against preventing, but I’m against people freaking out by a single test. There are many non-diabetic causes that can make temporary blood sugar abnormalities. It is always safer to wait and take a few more tests to be completely sure before starting to give health advices.
Raoof is clearly concerned he might have diabetes or be prediabetic or he would t have bothered posting in the first place. If I had a first set of confusing or inconclusive results I would want them redone now not wait 3 months. Btw your remarks to Bluetit are unfounded and unfair. She always gives sound advice to anyone and everyone who is willing to listen.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Raoof

Hello Raoof and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Well your results are kind of abnormal then. My advice would to be to wait and re-check HbA1c and FBS in 3 months. Because your spreading results now can’t pinpoint if your diabetic or not.

To make the new tests in 3 months relable it is imoportant to live normal, no diet yet, and check how your blood sugar are under normal circumstances.

Only reason I see to re-test earlier than 3 months are if get sudden increased thirst, frequent urination and start losing weight (without trying).

The only test OP failed was fasting, HbA1c and PPBS were within normal. Yes HbA1c was on the high end, but still within normal. Pre-diabetes are 6.1%-6.4%, and diabetes are over 6.5%. So 6% are high, but normal, not pre-diabetic.

The PPBS should be below 11.2 mmol, OP are below 7.8 which mean the pancreas has no issue at the moment with prosessing carbs.

The only concern here are FBS, but the result are abnormal high and does not match the two other test results.

I didn’t advice OP to eat unhealthy either, so please don’t take it so personal. I said staring a diet before retesting would give false or error in a new test, so my advice was to wait with diet or reducing sugar until OP had gotten a new test. Thats not equal to eating unhealthy or being stupid, so please don’t put words in my mouth.

OP should get a new FBS test, then you can give a proper advice.

Raoof is clearly concerned he might have diabetes or be prediabetic or he would t have bothered posting in the first place. If I had a first set of confusing or inconclusive results I would want them redone now not wait 3 months. Btw your remarks to Bluetit are unfounded and unfair. She always gives sound advice to anyone and everyone who is willing to listen.

Just because OP are concerned doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be realistic and not overreact. And just because a member are well know for giving good advices doesn’t mean they are automaticly right. Why am I unfair here?

Cutting sugar and carbs before OP have had a chance to re-test FBS are a terrible advice, because it would make a false answer on how OPs FBS are under normal circumstances.

What OP needs to do is to take another FBS test, to check if it was a false reading or not, then cutting carbs if the next FBS validere the first one. You have to do things in a right order if you want to get a proper and correct diagnosis. And getting a correct diagnose should be a higher priorety then some members reputation on an online community.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The PPBS should be below 11.2 mmol, OP are below 7.8 which mean the pancreas has no issue at the moment with prosessing carbs.

The PPBS should be
Below 7.8 - non-diabetic
7.8 to 11 - pre-diabetic
Over 11 - diabetic.

He is borderline with a result of 7.8, teetering on the edge of pre-diabetes.
His HbA1c was just inside the pre-diabetes range at 42.
His FBG was high, and well over the diagnostic level for diabetes.

If he doesn't do something to change, in 3 months time he is very likely to be diabetic, or at least high up in the pre-diabetes range.

By the way, plenty of people have high fasting levels without high levels at other times. It is called impaired fasting glucose.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/impaired-fasting-glycemia.html

How is IFG diagnosed?
IFG and diabetes are diagnosed by testing blood glucose levels. If your fasting blood glucose level is found to be between 3.6mmol/l and 6mmol/l, this means that your blood glucose level is normal.

If your fasting blood glucose level is 7mmol/l or higher, this may mean that you have diabetes. If your fasting blood glucose level is between 6.1mmol/l and 6.9mmols/l, you may have IFG.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your fasting blood glucose level is 7mmol/l or higher, this may mean that you have diabetes. If your fasting blood glucose level is between 6.1mmol/l and 6.9mmols/l, you may have IFG.

HbA1c 42 and FBG over 7 means he must do something now, not wait 3 month. Diabetes is so big “bestia” that to give her more time to develop is to play with life.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1c 42 and FBG over 7 means he must do something now, not wait 3 month. Diabetes is so big “bestia” that to give her more time to develop is to play with life.

I totally agree, but you quoted my post. It's not me that is saying otherwise. ;)