Reusing lancets?

SawaSawa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use the Contour TS test system about 3 times/week and use the same lancet repeatedly for at least 2-3 months without any problems.

manrug13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been diabetic for nearly 22 years, I was always told never to reuse needles or lancets. Once used they tend to dull, also with lancets you could run the risk of false readings if any blood remains on them from previous use or if you try to clean/re-sterilise them, the solution could also cause a false reading too. I know things have advanced a lot in that time, but even based on thw dulling of the tips it would make it more painfull over time.

starbuck91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
always use a sharps bin for anything with blood on it and the needles as they will ask you this

M

mist

I have more spikes than I know what to do wit, literally thousands. Have no need to reuse them. Yes, a sharps bin is a must.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Medical advice is to only use lancets and needles once. Each use blunts the end and can cause pain or problems.
There are lots of people who use them repeatedly without issue but as I've said before, there are many smokers who will not get lung cancer still doesn't make smoking ok

Not wishing to be contrare.. Needles used for administering drugs like insulin? Fair enough. ;)
No intention with the "sardonic". :)

Lancets? The whole principle is to "draw blood" to test.. If anything? I wish they were a little more blunt on the first stab...
Colder days for me, is a pain teasing a drop out with a new lancet.

Don't worry. I had an HIV test a while back.. I'm good! (Seriously. I'm clear of it all!) no chance of catching anything!

I do use a yellow biohazard bin..

M

mist

I had to take a HIV test after my girlfriend cheated on me with a woman who actually had HIV!

Luckily I'm clean! :)

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to take a HIV test after my girlfriend cheated on me with a woman who actually had HIV!

Luckily I'm clean! :)
Cruel "joke" with an ex for me. After I'd moved on.. But I was "man enough" to take the challenge. For everyone's peace of mind...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I only change lancet once a day. I've occasionally had says that I test enough that the lancet gets dull and then I'll change it an extra time.

I use an old candy tin for my sharps and strips and dispose of them at the doctors office

Reactions: starbuck91

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
I was told not to get a bg meter. But I did. ( best thing in ever did) but I change the lancet every time. I find I go through them very quickly. Also my doctor or chemist won't tajevthe used ones because I was told not to buy them! ( slap,on the wrist) lol

dw422

Type of diabetes
Type 2
and I also poke the needle into the lid of the next lancet so no-one can catch themselves on it if they put their hands into the bin, but should I be throwing it away in my general household waste or should I be using a more safe way of disposing? I've not had my 1st meeting yet with my Diabetic nurse so thought I'd ask you guys instead.
I have a sharps container too, when I go away from home I use either the test strip container or a tic tac box. I would never put a bare needle in a waste/rubbish bin

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use accu chek fastclix finger pricker is has kind of encapsulated 6 little needles that cant cut anybody else when finished all 6 needles..
it is a fantastic fingerpricker I think.. but I guess very expensive https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/fingerprickers/index.html?product=fastclix

I was given the finger pricker along with the meter from a person form the firm itself at my doctor..for free https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/metersystems/index.html?product=performanano
but then on the other hans the test strips are very expensive...in Denmark about 1 Pound a piece.. I have found an online shop in germany that is only 1 third the Price..

I also use 1 needle about 1 week, and always carefully wash my hands very well

Last edited:

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Stuck up people. People who do not care about others. Racists. Intolerant people. Tories.
I use a lancet until it loses its sharpness, roughly about every 50 uses. I don't clean it but do wash my hand thoroughly before testing. When I was given a meter by the nurse 4 years ago, I was also given a large yellow box to put the used lancets in. It is still nowhere near full. My used testing strips go into the general rubbish bin as I carry nothing that is a threat to others.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use a lancet until it loses its sharpness, roughly about every 50 uses. I don't clean it but do wash my hand thoroughly before testing. When I was given a meter by the nurse 4 years ago, I was also given a large yellow box to put the used lancets in. It is still nowhere near full. My used testing strips go into the general rubbish bin as I carry nothing that is a threat to others.
I have used my lancet for over a year, test approximately 3 times a week never had any problems,it was getting pretty
Dull towards the end.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have used my lancet for over a year, test approximately 3 times a week never had any problems,it was getting pretty
Dull towards the end.
I only change mine when it starts to get blunt.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I have been diabetic for nearly 22 years, I was always told never to reuse needles or lancets. Once used they tend to dull, also with lancets you could run the risk of false readings if any blood remains on them from previous use or if you try to clean/re-sterilise them, the solution could also cause a false reading too. I know things have advanced a lot in that time, but even based on thw dulling of the tips it would make it more painfull over time.
I have also read that you can get a false reading if you reuse the lancets.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I don't see how because it only punctures a new hole allowing fresh blood to flow.
I suppose if there is any signs of blood on the needle and it is reused it may give a false reading. It also states in my meter instruction book the same.