1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Reusing lancets?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Snootybutnice, Sep 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SawaSawa

SawaSawa Type 2 · Newbie

I use the Contour TS test system about 3 times/week and use the same lancet repeatedly for at least 2-3 months without any problems.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. manrug13

manrug13 Type 1 · Member

I have been diabetic for nearly 22 years, I was always told never to reuse needles or lancets. Once used they tend to dull, also with lancets you could run the risk of false readings if any blood remains on them from previous use or if you try to clean/re-sterilise them, the solution could also cause a false reading too. I know things have advanced a lot in that time, but even based on thw dulling of the tips it would make it more painfull over time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. starbuck91

starbuck91 Type 1 · Active Member

always use a sharps bin for anything with blood on it and the needles as they will ask you this

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. mist

mist · Guest

I have more spikes than I know what to do wit, literally thousands. Have no need to reuse them. Yes, a sharps bin is a must.

5. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Not wishing to be contrare.. Needles used for administering drugs like insulin? Fair enough. ;)
    No intention with the "sardonic". :)

Lancets? The whole principle is to "draw blood" to test.. If anything? I wish they were a little more blunt on the first stab...
    Colder days for me, is a pain teasing a drop out with a new lancet.

Don't worry. I had an HIV test a while back.. I'm good! (Seriously. I'm clear of it all!) no chance of catching anything!

I do use a yellow biohazard bin..

6. mist

mist · Guest

I had to take a HIV test after my girlfriend cheated on me with a woman who actually had HIV!

Luckily I'm clean! :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Cruel "joke" with an ex for me. After I'd moved on.. But I was "man enough" to take the challenge. For everyone's peace of mind...

8. Kristyturnerrogers

Kristyturnerrogers Type 1 · Member

I only change lancet once a day. I've occasionally had says that I test enough that the lancet gets dull and then I'll change it an extra time.

I use an old candy tin for my sharps and strips and dispose of them at the doctors office

• Like Like x 1
  9. paganlass

paganlass Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was told not to get a bg meter. But I did. ( best thing in ever did) but I change the lancet every time. I find I go through them very quickly. Also my doctor or chemist won't tajevthe used ones because I was told not to buy them! ( slap,on the wrist) lol

10. dw422

dw422 Type 2 · Member

I have a sharps container too, when I go away from home I use either the test strip container or a tic tac box. I would never put a bare needle in a waste/rubbish bin

11. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

I use accu chek fastclix finger pricker is has kind of encapsulated 6 little needles that cant cut anybody else when finished all 6 needles..
    it is a fantastic fingerpricker I think.. but I guess very expensive https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/fingerprickers/index.html?product=fastclix

I was given the finger pricker along with the meter from a person form the firm itself at my doctor..for free https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/metersystems/index.html?product=performanano
    but then on the other hans the test strips are very expensive...in Denmark about 1 Pound a piece.. I have found an online shop in germany that is only 1 third the Price..

I also use 1 needle about 1 week, and always carefully wash my hands very well

#31 Freema, Oct 23, 2016 at 5:59 PM
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  12. Paulines7

Paulines7 Type 2 · Member

I use a lancet until it loses its sharpness, roughly about every 50 uses. I don't clean it but do wash my hand thoroughly before testing. When I was given a meter by the nurse 4 years ago, I was also given a large yellow box to put the used lancets in. It is still nowhere near full. My used testing strips go into the general rubbish bin as I carry nothing that is a threat to others.

13. Pura Vida

Pura Vida Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have used my lancet for over a year, test approximately 3 times a week never had any problems,it was getting pretty
    Dull towards the end.

14. Ian_Laye

Ian_Laye Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I only change mine when it starts to get blunt.

15. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Press harder and they last for ever. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Ian_Laye

lol but it hurts

17. derry60

derry60 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I have also read that you can get a false reading if you reuse the lancets.

18. Ian_Laye

I don't see how because it only punctures a new hole allowing fresh blood to flow.

• Like Like x 1
  19. derry60

derry60 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I suppose if there is any signs of blood on the needle and it is reused it may give a false reading. It also states in my meter instruction book the same.

20. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Have you got a link for that, as I think this is a nonsense.
    I concur with this.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook