Metformin side effects

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
I took some metformin prolong realease and i feel like poo.
I was doing fine on Gliclazide but my doc is almost bullying me into take this drug.

When i was first diagnosed with pre diabeties i started on normal metformin and OMG that just went straight through me.

So he has been wanting me to get on prolong metformin.
And i have got the shakes, i felt sick, tired, and my guts is really bad...

And this is from 1 tablet!!

Has any of you guys had anything like this?

Thanks

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In the five weeks I took Metformin I managed two tablets on two days - not consecutively - I was losing the will to live when I stopped taking them. I had pains all over, itching, mental confusion - but I was taking a statin as well so I can't say which caused what.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like your symptoms are a bit more than just from one SR Metformin tablet it maybe that you have a virus. Usually people are much better on the SR version yes a few may still get a tummy upset but not usually the others things you have described

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the five weeks I took Metformin I managed two tablets on two days - not consecutively - I was losing the will to live when I stopped taking them. I had pains all over, itching, mental confusion - but I was taking a statin as well so I can't say which caused what.
Was that the SR version of Metformin

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably the ordinary - now I think about it. It was the kneejerk prescribing for a new diagnosis.

D

Deleted member 308541

And i have got the shakes, i felt sick, tired, and my guts is really bad...
emoji45.png

And this is from 1 tablet!!
I cannot see how you would get that from just one tablet.

I have taken both types of Metformin with no problems, I started off on the extended release Metformin but it was on short supply so the pharmacy gave me quick release instead for several months.

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
We are all different
My dad takes normal metformin with no side effects but again one of them goes straight through me.
Im starting to feel better now.
This is not the first time this has happen as tryied takeing them beginning of the year with similar side affects.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Has any of you guys had anything like this?

I had similar issues when first diagnosed 20 years ago, that was before the sustained release stuff was available, at least it wasn't an option at my doctors at the time. It's called Absolute diarrhea, much worse than chronic or acute.

I had to take cocodomol for back pain which evened things out a bit and more recently (4 - 5 years) lowering my carbs by giving up bread/pasta/rice/potato made things better. Now on SR version and seems to be OK, bouts of the runs are usually something else like forgetting that you should only really have one barocca a day.

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It affects my OH really badly. He stopped taking it and went diet controlled, however his hbA1c was 111 2 weeks ago so gp has prescribed Glucophage 50mg SR which he takes at night, so far so good

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin was hell for me. Gliclazide was okay, but once I started the low carb diet I could stop using it (as well as the statins. HbA1c now 38.). Keep a diet-change in the back of your mind as an option maybe, if meds are messing with you this badly. I'm a wreck with side effects, so I had no choice but to look for alternatives. Good luck!

Reactions: lindijanice