Lidl High Protein Rolls

timat22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I e mailed customer services and received a reply today informing me they have in fact been discontinued. She also said she would pass my message to the buying department. I can only suggest as many people contact them to let them know how we feel. Here's hoping enough of us will contact them forcing a change of heart.

Reactions: Prem51

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I e mailed customer services and received a reply today informing me they have in fact been discontinued. She also said she would pass my message to the buying department. I can only suggest as many people contact them to let them know how we feel. Here's hoping enough of us will contact them forcing a change of heart.
I think we've all received the same reply. No reason to shop there now.

Reactions: timat22

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely discontinued. I feel distraught to be honest, I don't know what I'm going to do !
I tried the high GI rolls once and they really spiked me so they're a no-go.

Last edited:

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely discontinued. I feel distraught to be honest, I don't know what I'm going to do !
I feel your pain ;) I have two left in the freezer and have cut the previous ones into three to eke them out (with added blood 'garnish' in one case). To get hold of Livlife or HiLo entails a journey to the next town or beyond. Daft but actually it might become essential.... I've had a go at making keto rolls but they just aren't the same.

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel your pain ;) I have two left in the freezer and have cut the previous ones into three to eke them out (with added blood 'garnish' in one case). To get hold of Livlife or HiLo entails a journey to the next town or beyond. Daft but actually it might become essential.... I've had a go at making keto rolls but they just aren't the same.

Burgen bread is more readily available in supermarkets than the Livlife and Hi-Lo. 11g carbs per slice, but the slices are bigger. I have been trying it this last week. I didn't like it as bread (too soft for me) but it is lovely toasted. 11g is too much for me according to my meter, so I intend to just have half a slice toasted. I only ever had half a Lidl roll at one sitting. I bought my loaf at Sainsburys.

Reactions: whitech

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Burgen bread is more readily available in supermarkets than the Livlife and Hi-Lo. 11g carbs per slice, but the slices are bigger. I have been trying it this last week. I didn't like it as bread (too soft for me) but it is lovely toasted. 11g is too much for me according to my meter, so I intend to just have half a slice toasted. I only ever had half a Lidl roll at one sitting. I bought my loaf at Sainsburys.
Thanks for the info @Bluetit1802. There are small Sainsburys and Waitrose a few miles away but I have a choice of the 'lower end' supermarkets here. It could be that eggy soldiers are back on the menu as the Lidl roll didn't quite cut the mustard in that regard - they have to be real toast!

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see Burgen sales going up. I have some, nice toasted.
A minor result just driven to my next nearest Lidl and they had 4 protein rolls left so I bagged them.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I bought this week, but now I may have to go back and empty the shelf...

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought this week, but now I may have to go back and empty the shelf...
Think it will be too late, most stores are now sold out. Whether they bring them back who knows, but that's not the message I'm getting.

christine13#

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can see Burgen sales going up. I have some, nice toasted.
A minor result just driven to my next nearest Lidl and they had 4 protein rolls left so I bagged them.
I buy weight watchers white danish it has 9.6 carbs per slice. Available from sainsbury.

Kbarbaracollins_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
aaaaaaah woe! woe! and thrice! wo!! :bigtears: :bigtears: :bigtears:

This morning I travelled for just over an hour to my nearest Lidl to fetch some more rolls. None to be seen anywhere. At first I thought I'd somehow missed the early baking, so looked around for a likely bakery assistant, expecting to be told, its ok, there'll be some in about an hour. Not on your nelly: "sorry, we do't do those anymore; I put the order in but they've been blocked. It's been a few days now." Poor lass had no idea why they've been stopped.

Oh, I'm devastated! Diabetics need those, they're the only bread we can eat (bit of a stretch, but you get my point). I know, she said, I've had other customers saying the same. I've told 'them' (them upstairs) but that's all I can do.

I asked her to report my complaint as well, because the more complaints they get, the better. Can only hope she will.

Has anybody else met with this disaster ? :(
Like you I depend on these rolls. I’ve written to customer Service who have replied that they have been discontinued but may be available at some time in the future

Reactions: Pink_Minx

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Hello I spoke to Customer services and was told the supplier have raised the price they charge Lidl's and Lidl's said they can no longer make a decent profit,asked who the suppliers where but was told that they couldn't tell me:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I spoke to Customer services and was told the supplier have raised the price they charge Lidl's and Lidl's said they can no longer make a decent profit,asked who the suppliers where but was told that they couldn't tell me:)

Well, that's a new reason. Or is it an excuse. They could, of course, pass the increase on to the customer like other shops do. I would pay more than 29p.

Bingale1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Has anyone found an alternative to the protein rolls? I tried the low GI ones but they spiked massively.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
One of my local Lidls still has quite a stock of the rolls..
I asked the baker person and he said they had loads.
At the moment I'm going twice a day.
First thing in the morning I get 18 rolls (first in through the door) and around 3 to 3.30 I get whatever there is from the second baking. Anything from 3 to 12.
Only problem is I'm running out of freezer space; currently asking some friends if they have any spare space.

They won't sell them out of the freezer as I've asked several times.

I haven't counted how many we have but the inside freezer is crammed, with everything else in the small "overflow" freezer outside.

I usually eat one a day but I can't see me getting 365 to see me through a year without buying another freezer!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Updated to note that I have now cleared out two drawers of the inside freezer and am starting on the third.

After that I have three shelves in a Freegle-donated outside freezer.

After that, life without Lidl rolls. :bigtears:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Updated to note that I have now cleared out two drawers of the inside freezer and am starting on the third.

After that I have three shelves in a Freegle-donated outside freezer.

After that, life without Lidl rolls. :bigtears:
Join the (un) happy band
Carol