Aint no cure for Dah-bee-tus

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the way certain Americans pronounce "Diabetes". I'm not too clued up on American regional accents, but I think I'm referring to a 'southern' accent.

I can't find it again, but I was watching a documentary clip on YouTube and a chap there pronounced it "dar-bee-tus", which is my favourite pronunciation.

When trying to find it again, I stumbled on lots of clips of Wilford Brimley pronouncing the word in a similar way, but at least he gets the first bit right ("dia-bee-tus" as opposed to "dar-bee-tus").

I have the sense of humour of a two year old most of the time and really enjoyed watching lots of the Wilf Brimley "dia-beetus" remix videos on Youtube.

I didn't recognise Wilford Brimley but apparently he's been in a few old movies that I've seen - I'll be keeping a look out for him next time I watch them.

I looked him up on Wikipedia and his life seems like a typical story for someone with T2. I expect a lot of us T2s, especially the overweight ones like me, look back wistfully on our youthful years, and remember feeling fit, healthy and active, and are bemused at how we have now become overweight with a metabolic disorder. Where did it all go so wrong?

Poor old Wilf is an exaggerated version of this: A youth apparently full of vigour - he was in the Marines, then worked as a bodyguard, a ranch hand, a wrangler a blacksmith and a stuntman ... and then at some point in life finds that he's become an extremely overweight man with - well, dia-bee-tus.

Some people make fun of him in an unpleasant way, and some people just find his pronunciation of dia-bee-tus funny and make Youtube remixes of it.

I don't know where I'm going with all this, but anyway, over the last few days I realise that I now have an incurable case of "dar-bee-tus". I can't stop saying it out loud just for the fun of it, and I'm worried someone will hear me.

Dar-bee-tus.

Daaaaaaaaaar ... beetus.

I think it's incurable :(

If I can pull it back from dar-bee-tus to at least dia-bee-tus, does that count as remission?

Also, on a really sad note, I noticed he also made a commercial for Quaker oats, something I guess most T2s these days will have realised is not entirely good for them. Watching these two videos side by side is really sad I thought. It shows how vulnerable we all are to current dietary advice, and how easy it is to go wrong in spite of our best efforts:

PS: if you're wondering what the point of this post is, then that makes two of us :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love the “Uhhh” counter bottom right corner of the first video! :joyful::hilarious::playful:

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Love the “Uhhh” counter bottom right corner of the first video! :joyful::hilarious::playful:

LOL! I didn't spot that! I can't believe I missed that first time round. I think there's at least 20 hours to be killed on YouTube watching Wilf Brimley videos. I might cancel my subscription to NetFlix, I don't feel I need it any more!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I love the way the interwebs make our random thoughts known to everyone! Glad I 'm not the only one having completely useless but entertainining random thoughts!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

We need to rank these videos!

My favourite so far is this one:

It seems really dull at first, but once the chorus starts, it's just joyous and you realise how much effort they've put in!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah , if I didn't have it already I would go find out where I could get this diabeetus after those video's !

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We need to rank these videos!

My favourite so far is this one:

It seems really dull at first, but once the chorus starts, it's just joyous and you realise how much effort they've put in!
They're definitely funny

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You really need to stop posting or I'll die from laughing! And I only just decided I'll die from diabeetus 50 years from now, so dying from laughing today doesn't seem right.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You really need to stop posting or I'll die from laughing! And I only just decided I'll die from diabeetus 50 years from now, so dying from laughing today doesn't seem right.

I don't think you have much to fear from diabeetus.

Good ol' Wilf is 83 now and judging from the pictures he's doing fine - he still has all his own limbs and eyes etc, and a wonderful stomach.

We can safely conclude one of the following. Either:

1) He's found the perfect balance of doing what his doctors tell him, and the occasional apple pie and ice cream. I mean, he's not perfect, and he's done some things he shouldn't do. But at least he enjoys himself.

or

2) Diabeetus isn't as dangerous as diabetes.

OMG - I had to check how to spell diabetes. My mind has been corrupted by Wilf!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
He seems to have outlived his sponsors who filed for bankruptcy. Dia..Beat..Us indeed. No wonder he had to go to Quaker Oats.
Who could we have for own Brit national treasure with type 2 ? How would Christopher Biggins pronounce it? Who could sponsor him? Cannot find any other Brit type 2s on my low attention span search of the web.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
He seems to have outlived his sponsors who filed for bankruptcy. Dia..Beat..Us indeed. No wonder he had to go to Quaker Oats.
Who could we have for own Brit national treasure with type 2 ? How would Christopher Biggins pronounce it? Who could sponsor him? Cannot find any other Brit type 2s on my low attention span search of the web.

Sir Steve Redgrave.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I was about to say "I wish Brian Blessed had diabetes" then I realised I was wishing illness on someone!

I think Christopher Biggins would be fun! I don't know how he'd pronounce 'diabetes', but I'm pretty he sure he'd be giggling as he said it!

He also has a link to porridge however ... but at least this time he's not eating it, he's acting in the old tv series! That's got to be the healthier option :)