RIP Lidl High Protein Rolls

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is confirmed.. got an e-mail reply from the message I sent to the UK CEO last week

"Dear Mr *****

Re: High Protein Rolls

Thank you for your recent communication.

I am sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction regarding this matter. I have investigated this matter with our Buyers and can confirm that this product has been de-listed, there are no current plans for these to return to our stores.

I apologise for any dissatisfaction this causes you, your feedback regarding this matter has been registered.

I hope you will remain a valued Lidl customer.

Yours sincerely,
For and on behalf of Lidl UK GmbH

Leonie Faulds
Customer Services Manegement "

Love the way they cant spell management...

So sorry folks.... time to ditch the bread!

:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It is confirmed.. got an e-mail reply from the message I sent to the UK CEO last week

"Dear Mr *****

Re: High Protein Rolls

Thank you for your recent communication.

I am sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction regarding this matter. I have investigated this matter with our Buyers and can confirm that this product has been de-listed, there are no current plans for these to return to our stores.
I wonder if they could be persuaded to remarket them as low carb rather than high protein. An increasing number of food items mention low carb in the labelling. Would be a shame for them :) to miss out on the sales.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if they could be persuaded to remarket them as low carb rather than high protein. An increasing number of food items mention low carb in the labelling. Would be a shame for them :) to miss out on the sales.

That was my thought, too

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

(Sorry about the woman in the clip who is nearly out of uniform, hopefully it's okay to post this!)

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a play with the list of ingredients, and have come up with the following recipe, which may or may not actually produce bread as opposed to a half brick.
I started from the 400g wholemeal loaf I used to make (in long-lost pre-pre-diabetic days!). 400g flour takes 250ml water, lose 20% in baking leaves you with a 550g loaf - the percentages on the Lidl ingredients list would refer to the bread as bought, not the dough. Did a certain amount of rounding up and down, not much point in weighing flour to the nearest gram!

Drat. Had it all in a lovely grid and it won't cut and paste.
Never mind, here are the ingredients, and I will try making it into rolls tomorrow. Net carbs in the recipe 73, so need to make at least eight rolls to get the individual carbs under 10.

Water, 250ml (or thereabouts)
Linseed, 100g ground
Vital wheat gluten 100g
Soy Flour 50g don't have any so substitute soy protein
Whole Wheat Flour 50g
Sesame 20g
Soybean Meal 20g don't have any so substitute gram flour.
Sunflower seeds 20g ground
Wheat Bran 20g don't have any so subs. oat bran.
Guar Gum 20g don't have any so subs. chia seeds.

I omitted the oat fibre as it was such a tiny amount, and will use salt and yeast in my usual proportions.
Never tried to make low-carb bread before so looking forward to an exciting journey!!!!

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Right. It is in the breadmaker, on number 11, which I had to look up as I only ever used number 3 - wholemeal large loaf! Number 11 being fast bake ie only one lot of kneading (very high gluten doughs apparently sulk if bashed about too much.)
The dough needed at least 400ml water. I used one teaspoon of dried yeast, and a tiny pinch of salt.
Report back at lunch time.
By the way, am I on the right thread? Is there a special thread for recipes??

Reactions: AdamJames

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right. It is in the breadmaker, on number 11, which I had to look up as I only ever used number 3 - wholemeal large loaf! Number 11 being fast bake ie only one lot of kneading (very high gluten doughs apparently sulk if bashed about too much.)
The dough needed at least 400ml water. I used one teaspoon of dried yeast, and a tiny pinch of salt.

Thanks for trying this, looking forward to hearing your review!

membrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
lies
I am not registered, but as you are, maybe a reply to the effect that if the rolls were marketed as LOW CARB rather than high protein, they would sell better. How many know they are low carb? Only the few of us on this forum I imagine.

I agree with Bluetit. The Knaresborough, North Yorkshire Store did not know about the Low Carb - ony High Protien. So sad as I am struggling with my numbers and like many others really wanted these rolls.

membrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
lies
Sorry, I was referring to the north of England. I had a quick look at the distribution of their shops. In the north of England there are 3 in the Newcastle area, 5 in the whole of Yorkshire (our largest county) and it seems the only others in the north of England are centered round Manchester and Liverpool. (6 in the whole of Scotland) They seem to be centred round cities. http://www.kevinlaurence.net/googlemaps/waitrose.html

Hello Bluetit. Yes we have a Waitrose in Harrogate, 11 miles away. Yesterday morning, 10:15 am, I purchased the last LivLife loaf and an assistant commented that they have had a run on this line. I explained what may be the reasoning as Lidl Knaresborough are only about 5-6 miles away. This was passed on immediately to a Supervisor about ordering more.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm waiting with bated breath for your report, @Beagler This thread is fine as it'll most likely catch The Deprived....! but you could also put it in the Recipes section.

Reading @membrew's post I have a Cunning Plan: the small Waitrose in the posh town will get a visit to see if they will stock LivLife because our local Lidls always ran out of HP rolls and it seems from comments on this thread and others regarding the roll that they were always popular, so there must be a market for the bread now. I agree with the marketing as low carb rather than high protein.

Reaperdoc

These were my "feel normal" food in an otherwise minimally carb diet, so i am feeling a little bereft!
They kept me on the straight and narrow and have allowed me to drop my HBA1C from 75 to 44 in four months.
@Beagler I am also awaiting the results with bated breath, especially since my wife has promised to knock up a batch for me (if they work!)

Reactions: Sue192

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Er. Well. It came out sort of bread shaped.

Actually, appearance and flavour both good and very similar to Lidl HP BUT it is a pretty solid lump, and also had a slightly ??slimy texture - not unpleasant, just a bit odd. But it is quite edible (for a given definition of...). Did I mention that total net carbs came to 73gc? (sorry - the net carbs in the total recipe!) Will get at least 8 slices so 4.5gc per half slice. And it toasts well.

Next trial - much more water, and I think I might soak the chia seeds and the linseed for five minutes or so in half the water. Ten grams less chia, ten grams more oat bran to reduce the slipperiness. And grind the sunflower seeds & linseeds a bit more thoroughly.

Other possibilities - add in some baking powder to help aeration. Find a cheaper substitute for the soy protein, anyone know if whey protein would work as well? FYI total cost of the the loaf was about £3.50 which is too much IMHO.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Er. Well. It came out sort of bread shaped.

Actually, appearance and flavour both good and very similar to Lidl HP BUT it is a pretty solid lump, and also had a slightly ??slimy texture - not unpleasant, just a bit odd. But it is quite edible (for a given definition of...). Did I mention that total net carbs came to 73gc? (sorry - the net carbs in the total recipe!) Will get at least 8 slices so 4.5gc per half slice. And it toasts well.

Next trial - much more water, and I think I might soak the chia seeds and the linseed for five minutes or so in half the water. Ten grams less chia, ten grams more oat bran to reduce the slipperiness. And grind the sunflower seeds & linseeds a bit more thoroughly.

Other possibilities - add in some baking powder to help aeration. Find a cheaper substitute for the soy protein, anyone know if whey protein would work as well? FYI total cost of the the loaf was about £3.50 which is too much IMHO.

Thanks a lot for trying this and the report! I look forward to your further experiments and honing.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cost - even if it means people only make it every now and then, it would still be great to know the option is there from time to time!

I have a bread maker that hasn't been used for so many years I forget. I'll need to hoover dead spiders out of it before using it again I think, but I'll definitely be giving this a go especially if your further experiments get good results.

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooooh er. Then I never. 'Cos I am not clever enough to photo AND download AND upload to this site.
Sorry!
And I re-calculated the price looking on-line for cheaper alternatives, and the price went down to £2.00.
Note that now I have looked up prices, whey protein is even more expensive than soy. The real pricey bit is the chia which is unfortunately irreplaceable.
(note that most of the prices are off the Tesco site, as are the analyses of ingredients' macro-nutrients.)

Reactions: AdamJames

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even more utterly devastated of Lancashire. :arghh:
No, FAR more devastated of Somerset than South Wales or Lancashire. :grumpy: ;)

Thanks to Masterchef @Beagler for going above and beyond! It sounds like you're just about there, with a bit of tweaking. And when perfected, you have a new career which will bring you squillions of loot from ever-grateful fans!:happy:Baking powder is a good idea - I left it out of a hot x bun recipe by mistake and got that slimy lumpiness (still ate them though).

@AdamJames - leave the spiders in. Added protein and a bit of roughage.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooooh er. Then I never. 'Cos I am not clever enough to photo AND download AND upload to this site.
Sorry!
And I re-calculated the price looking on-line for cheaper alternatives, and the price went down to £2.00.
Note that now I have looked up prices, whey protein is even more expensive than soy. The real pricey bit is the chia which is unfortunately irreplaceable.
(note that most of the prices are off the Tesco site, as are the analyses of ingredients' macro-nutrients.)

It's been a while since I've bought chia seeds, but Aldi definitely used to do them, so it may be possible to get the price down even more. Thanks for you efforts & research!