cool_blonde212003

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Should people with type1 who have had severe hypos that consequently means they can’t hold a driving licence be eligible for a disabled persons railcard and other similar concessions related to using public transport?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think that if they are officially denied a Driver's License then yes, they should be eligible for concessions. What a great idea.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I must get my niece to argue for concessions.......she has Epilepsy and Multiple Sclerosis and can no longer drive......

cool_blonde212003

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am sure she will meet the existing eligibility criteria for a disabled persons railcard as she has epilepsy. This is from the disabled persons railcard website

Attachments

• 79947B73-C095-4DA6-A8FD-E2226CEAA015.png
    79947B73-C095-4DA6-A8FD-E2226CEAA015.png
    301.5 KB · Views: 1,284
Reactions: Struma

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
.1 What does ‘chronically sick or disabled’ mean?
A person is ‘chronically sick or disabled’ if he/she is a person with a:
physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect upon his/her ability to carry out everyday activitiescondition which the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness, such as diabetes

Surely that means any form of diabetes ...so all sufferers would be eligible. ...just a thought. ...i dont use trains but one of u can apply and see how they react....lol

Reactions: cool_blonde212003
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
.1 What does ‘chronically sick or disabled’ mean?
A person is ‘chronically sick or disabled’ if he/she is a person with a:
physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect upon his/her ability to carry out everyday activitiescondition which the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness, such as diabetes

Surely that means any form of diabetes ...so all sufferers would be eligible. ...just a thought. ...i dont use trains but one of u can apply and see how they react....lol

I wouldn't of thought any type of diabetes, those not on any medication for the condition, unless there were other medical conditions that affected the person ?? Thanks for the info, really good to know.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am sure she will meet the existing eligibility criteria for a disabled persons railcard as she has epilepsy. This is from the disabled persons railcard website

Just looked at this and it is very clear about what a 'disability' is regarding a railcard. Thank you for the link.

james11

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well im no expert...but if you are diagnosed with a condition which last a year or more then u can be classedas disabled...so maybe any sufferer. .....i was just generalising , your thoughts are obviously different to mine ......maybe someone will pop up on here who has applied succesfully using diabetes as the disability

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
How about expanding this to include those with Brittle Diabetes, LADA, MODY, Reactive Hypoglycaemia, Golden Diabetes and the many many other variants........ keeping it just for T1's is a bit mean.........:bag:

Reactions: james11
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well im no expert...but if you are diagnosed with a condition which last a year or more then u can be classedas disabled...so maybe any sufferer. .....i was just generalising , your thoughts are obviously different to mine ......maybe someone will pop up on here who has applied succesfully using diabetes as the disability

But as many have found out, it often doesn't work like that, unless other aspects of the condition impair your daily routine, mobility, sight, heating, hypo unawareness, breathing difficulties, etc. Big clamp down's from the government, also I'm sure the list could go on.

cool_blonde212003

Type of diabetes
Type 1

You are right, in the workplace having diabetes meets that definition under the Disability Discrimination Act and the Equality Act.

I just assumed that there was some additional requirement about not being able to drive rather than simply being disabled. Having said that when you read the list of what is an eligible criteria that might be questionable. For example, someone could have mobility component for a car and still be eligible for a DP railcard, ok someone else could drive them in the car but a lot of people who qualify for this might be able to drive themselves. And someone who uses a hearing aid automatically qualifies but according to the DVLA website people who are deaf only need to tell the DVLA about their condition- it’s not an automatic ‘you can’t drive’.
https://www.gov.uk/deafness-and-driving
Sorry if it sounds like i’m picking on deaf people I’m not i’m just trying to understand the logic of automatic qualification for a DP railcard.

I think I have just proved to myself there doesn’t seem to be a link to ability to drive a vehicle and entitlement to a DP Railcard rather it’s an inconsistent list of disabilities and medical conditions

cool_blonde212003

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How about expanding this to include those with Brittle Diabetes, LADA, MODY, Reactive Hypoglycaemia, Golden Diabetes and the many many other variants........ keeping it just for T1's is a bit mean.........:bag:

My original thought was there must be a link to having a long term medical condition or disability and not being able to drive hence my original question about people with T1 not being able to drive if they have specific problems related to hypos. however having looked at this a bit closer I don’t the ability to drive is related to entitlement to a DP Railcard. I’ve replied to another comment in which i’ve given examples.

Let’s see if the DP Railcard organisation reply to my first email and I’ll go back to them about the list and rationale behind the qualifying criteria

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

As OP is Type 1, that's probably why she asked the question, with severe hypo's and cannot drive due to the hypo's.