Sugar Free Drinks at Brewers Fayre

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I forgot to post at the weekend but I ate at a Brewers Fayre on Saturday night and asked for a Diet Pepsi. The waitress said that’s all they are serving draught now due to the sugar tax! I don’t know if that’s all Brewers Fayre restaurants or just that one but no fear of getting the sugared one by mistake there now :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope you are right, @Rachox. :) It pays to be vigilant, though.

In a pub recently I ordered sugar free tonic water. It was only after drinking the first 200ml bottle and about to start on the second that I noticed the label on the Fevertree Naturally Light Tonic . 4g of carbs of which 3g is sugar in each 100mls. Had I drank both of the 200ml bottles that would have been 12g of sugar. The barman could not unnderstand, when I took the second bottle back to tell him this was not what I asked for. He thought low calorie meant the same as low sugar.
I'm sticking with water in future.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh don’t worry I’m not assuming that waitress was correct or mistakes won’t happen. Having said that my tastes have changed so much that full sugar varieties of coke and lemonade taste like syrup to me now that I think I’ll know if I’m not given the right one.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One thing that I do if I'm not sure is take a tiny sip and rub it between my lips. If it's full of sugar your lips end up sticky as the water evaporates. :)

You can also test coke with your meter as it produces a HI result but that could get very costly very quickly!

Reactions: Rachox

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately I had mixed half of my first bottle of tonic water with a rather fine gin. Wasn't going to waste that!:confused:

Reactions: Bea56

Lovejoy00

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I found out that out aboout Fever Tree tonic water too, luckily I only had one. Schweppes is 0g carbs/sugar.

More "trendy" pubs tends to serve Fever Tree and Wetherspoons!

Fever Tree Tonic Naturally Light: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/289287373

Typical Values Per: 100ml

Energy: 63kJ,15kcal
Total Fat: 0g
of which saturates: 0g
Carbohydrate: 3.8g
of which sugars: 2.9g
Protein: 0g
Salt: 0g

Schweppes Slimine: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/254857478

Typical Values Per: 100ml
Energy: 8kJ/5kcal (0%)
Fat: 0g (0%)
of which saturates: 0g (0%)
Carbohydrate: 0g (0%)
of which sugars: 0g (0%)
Protein: 0g (0%)
Salt: 0.10g (4%)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've found it harder and harder to get decent tonic - I think the fever tree and the fentimans are just fashion fads and even if I would drink them they are inferior in taste - my favourite tonic for my gin is Schweppes diet - lovely sharp crisp flavour - lots of places don't stock it any more - I've drunk G&T for nearly 40 years - hate that it's being messed about with now - hope it goes out of fashion soon and they move into the next big thing lol

Reactions: DJC3

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've found it harder and harder to get decent tonic - I think the fever tree and the fentimans are just fashion fads and even if I would drink them they are inferior in taste - my favourite tonic for my gin is Schweppes diet - lovely sharp crisp flavour - lots of places don't stock it any more - I've drunk G&T for nearly 40 years - hate that it's being messed about with now - hope it goes out of fashion soon and they move into the next big thing lol
Have you tried Lidl Diet tonic? I prefer it to Schweppes. It also has no carbs whatsoever! I'm not keen on fever tree but I do like the Lidl one with my gin!

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One thing that I do if I'm not sure is take a tiny sip and rub it between my lips. If it's full of sugar your lips end up sticky as the water evaporates. :)

You can also test coke with your meter as it produces a HI result but that could get very costly very quickly!
That is a very, very smart tip: thank you. That will come in handy.

Reactions: db89

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I find diet tonic too sweet now for my gin so far last three months+ I have been drinking soda water with my gin and ice and slice. You really get the flavour of the gin and you don’t risk the probs with the tonics. Recommend to you gin and tonic lovers out there

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m finding it really funny that my thread has turned into a discussion about gin! I’m teetotal! :joyful::hilarious:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried Lidl Diet tonic? I prefer it to Schweppes. It also has no carbs whatsoever! I'm not keen on fever tree but I do like the Lidl one with my gin!
I don't drink in the house apart from high days and holidays - doubt the bars and restaurants would have Lidl stuff. Will get a bottle next time I'm in to try it :) I love Lidl for lots of stuff - not the famed rolls though - yuck! ( dons tin hat and hides lol)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't drink in the house apart from high days and holidays - doubt the bars and restaurants would have Lidl stuff. Will get a bottle next time I'm in to try it :) I love Lidl for lots of stuff - not the famed rolls though - yuck! ( dons tin hat and hides lol)
I was never keen on the Lidl rolls. You may have opened a can of worms though as they’ve been discontinued. (Joins you in the air raid shelter!)

Reactions: eggs11

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was never keen on the Lidl rolls. You may have opened a can of worms though as they’ve been discontinued. (Joins you in the air raid shelter!)
Can i come in the shelter too please I also hated them! I love a lot of things from Lidl especially the multiseed loaf they do (I get a sandwich for 11g carbs by cutting the crusts off which I never eat anyway) but the rolls were yuck!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I forgot to post at the weekend but I ate at a Brewers Fayre on Saturday night and asked for a Diet Pepsi. The waitress said that’s all they are serving draught now due to the sugar tax! I don’t know if that’s all Brewers Fayre restaurants or just that one but no fear of getting the sugared one by mistake there now :)
I'd like to see diet lemonade everywhere. Lemonade always full sugar, even in hotels. :(

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Can i come in the shelter too please I also hated them! I love a lot of things from Lidl especially the multiseed loaf they do (I get a sandwich for 11g carbs by cutting the crusts off which I never eat anyway) but the rolls were yuck!
I started to eat them to stop normal bread but began hurting my gums. :(

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm waiting for my local PREMIER store to stock diet dandelion and burdock and diet cream soda that's available in Morrisons.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Our local Marstons now has Pepsi Max on draught. Standard Pepsi can only be bought in the very expensive glass bottles. Fine for me but husband is not a happy bunny.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m finding it really funny that my thread has turned into a discussion about gin! I’m teetotal! :joyful::hilarious:
I hold up my hand, and hang my head in shame. Mea cuppa. I started the derail towards gin.
I notice , though that further detail leans towards Lidl rolls. Not guilty! LOL!
You do raise an important point in your original post, @Rachox. Just as much as many of us who low carb need to be aware of the sugar content of the soft drinks we consume, for those who need the full sugar version to treat a hypo it is vital those serving us in pubs get it right. Additionally some folks might not be able to tolerate the artificial sweeteners. Somehow water is starting to look the best option .

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes water for me only once I've had surgery.
I'll look on Amazon for low carb flavourings to add as simply water makes me feel poverty stricken.
Milk or yogurt is menopause answer to protecting bones so natural yogart will be my choice. Milk is still off my menu unless in a decaf coffee.
Flavoured waters not so readily available in hotels/restaurant yet. Tonic water and lemon/lime?