Seven months into the low carb diet...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got the HbAiC figure from my GP today. It was 36 "almost too low" he said. By the way my blood pressure, high over many years, is currently 120 over 65 at the moment. Which is very cheering.

Well done on both counts! 36 “almost too low”? What piffle!

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I rang my gp's today to ask about my blood results but the receptionist would only tell me that it said no action needed. She wouldn't give me my actual HBA1C so I'll have to wait til next week when I go to see her. I've always had fairly lowish blood pressure but last week it was 100/60 oops!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I rang my gp's today to ask about my blood results but the receptionist would only tell me that it said no action needed. She wouldn't give me my actual HBA1C so I'll have to wait til next week when I go to see her. I've always had fairly lowish blood pressure but last week it was 100/60 oops!

Ask for print outs. You need to know all the test results, not just HbA1c.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
Ask for print outs. You need to know all the test results, not just HbA1c.
The receptionist said it was the only one that had come back still waiting for the others.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Excellent achievement,very well done.
Ive have type 2 diabeatis and to be honest I dont really understand it. I was a member of slimming world and lost 1 1/2 stone then I was diagnosed with type 2. I try to cut out all carbs but then get very hungery to the point of feeling sick. Would love some advise or pointers. Thanks in advance

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent achievement,very well done.
Ive have type 2 diabeatis and to be honest I dont really understand it. I was a member of slimming world and lost 1 1/2 stone then I was diagnosed with type 2. I try to cut out all carbs but then get very hungery to the point of feeling sick. Would love some advise or pointers. Thanks in advance
Hello Noleen

Just cutting the carbohydrates WILL leave you hungry. The trick is to increase the amount of fat at the same time - this helps to make you feel fuller. Think SW red days (if you remember them) but cook things in healthy fats and oils or even butter if you can get your head around that!

I've tagged @daisy1 to give you some info (sorry to hijack the congratulations thread) and that will help you in understanding a bit better.

Feel free to start your own thread in any section to ask questions or discuss issues.

Reactions: Prem51

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Noeleen_powell Here in my signature is a link to the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

dwnunder

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Big mouths
@Noeleen_powell also have a look at Breckenridge low carb online. It is a ski resort in Colorado where a lot of LCHF doctors give talks over a weekend. The 2017 is still available online and the 2018 starts March 1st to 4th so look out for that one online. There's always great speakers and you can get alot from it. Oh and good luck you will get there just try and get as much info as you possibly can and you will be armed for great success

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got the HbAiC figure from my GP today. It was 36 "almost too low" he said. By the way my blood pressure, high over many years, is currently 120 over 65 at the moment. Which is very cheering.

I am curious...what made you took the leap of faith to low carb?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. How do you do that? I mean to apply to get the results online?

It applies in England. Surgeries were asked to do this before May 2016. You need to ask at your surgery if they do it, and then ask for the appropriate form to complete. It is a consent form. Make sure they understand it is test results you want, not just the ability to order prescriptions and book appointments.

Reactions: Jemz

Mandi05

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It applies in England. Surgeries were asked to do this before May 2016. You need to ask at your surgery if they do it, and then ask for the appropriate form to complete. It is a consent form. Make sure they understand it is test results you want, not just the ability to order prescriptions and book appointments.

Thank you @Bluetit1802. Will definitely find out from my surgery if they can do that for me.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

TwoRivers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Obesity.
I am curious...what made you took the leap of faith to low carb?
I had some history in it going back to reading Michael Yudkin years ago. I knew that in the past it had worked for me. But I was a bit put off by the warnings against the Atkins Diet which one hears from HCPs. I had tried other diets and got nowhere. So I gave low carb a try and the results were instant.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

TwoRivers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Obesity.
I wrote a post yesterday after seeing my doctor at the nine months point but that message seems to have vanished, so for anyone who is interested, here is an update.
Weight loss -- another four and a half kilos. Not the original speed but it continues. Total weight loss :26 kilos (four stone),
HbA1c -- 35. One point down on last time even though I have now not had medication for at least three months. "A bit too low" said my GP. Not sure why. He told me I am now off the list of patients with diabetes. I replied that I realise this is only as long as I keep off the carbs. He added that they are now starting to recommend cutting carbohydrates to patients. Times change.
Blood pressure (with reduced medication) 138 over 70 -- not quite as good as last time when it was 120 but I have dropped one medication.

I am eating about 20g - 35g of carbohydrate each day (low) and taking in a total of 1400-1700 calories. I eat quite a lot (relatively speaking) of berries--up to 100g a day some days of raspberries or strawberries. Some days none. All weighed and counted.

Actually I am still quite heavy by BMI standards and would like to lose another 25 kilos to get back to where I was in my twenties. I think I can do it but it would be nice to be losing a kilo a week. Recently the loss has sometimes been under a kilo a month, though in the last month it was 2.5-3 kg when I cut out some foods.

So I am expecting a two year campaign against the flab. And meanwhile I recommend LCHF to any Type 2 diabetics I come across. After eighteen years, including about seven or eight on insulin, I never expected to be completely off medication but I am.

Last edited: