1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Seven months into the low carb diet...

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by TwoRivers, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

You have my full admiration. Your story is inspirational, although you now have to keep it up! I am certain you will because you seem highly motivated.

Your doctor probably thinks your HbA1c is too low because you were on insulin, and anyone on insulin can have low HbA1cs if they are hypo much of the time. Now you are not on insulin, this isn't an issue, so your HbA1c is not too low. Doctor is wrong!

Well done, wonderful achievement. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just spotted your update and wonderful to see you are continuing to do well. Ignore the too low hbaca1 comment - how can it be when you’re not on medication so not at any danger of hypo or anything. It’s just a good normal number. Just stick at the way of eating that is giving you the good blood glucose results and the weight loss should follow. Another option if you are keen on getting weight lower more quickly is to bring in another method to give your body a bit of a shake up. I started just low carb but when stalled on my weight loss I started intermittent fasting and it worked really well. Lots of ideas on dietdoctor.com on weight loss and intermittent fasting.
    Good luck any questions do ask

• Like Like x 1
  3. TwoRivers

TwoRivers Type 2 · Active Member

Thanks...I will consider intermittent fasting very seriously. You seem to have got down to the sort of weight that I would like to reach.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. NewTD2

NewTD2 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I was also on 14 units of insulin but now zero due to low carbing.

Well done!

• Winner Winner x 3
  5. Biggles2

Biggles2 · Well-Known Member

Coming off insulin is about as good as it gets! So much for the whole 'diabetes is a progressive disease' mantra ;).
    Well done you on your wonderful achievement!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Biggles2

Biggles2 · Well-Known Member

Hats off to you on your truly wonderful achievement! As @Bluetit1802 mentioned, your HbA1c is not too low. What an inspiration you are!:)

7. NewTD2

Thank you!

8. NewTD2

Diabetes is considered a “progressive” disease by some very judgmental, out of date and misinformed doctors and nurses who have little training and education about diabetic diet, control and management!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Yeah - they have been going ballistic over my use of Atkins - some of them get really nasty - but it is the only way I have ever been able to lose any weight and control it - more carbs always meant more weight gain and no energy. Fewer calories came close to killing me, I suspect.

10. lefeilouss

lefeilouss Type 2 · Active Member

Great results and news on BG with LCHF diet.. however do you all do High Fat as well? any issue with lipid levels? or you can go on with non high fat on low carb?

11. Lynnzhealth

Lynnzhealth Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When I was first diagnosed T2 a year ago my Doctor and Diabetic Educator advised me to not give up anything, however, eat in moderation. OK. I tried their way and my sugars went up, so I researched and found the LCHF Keto lifestyle and changed immediately. Three weeks ago my Doctor said I was doing excellent and last week the Diabetic Educator said if she didn't know I was 70 she'd think the blood results were that of a 19 to 20 year old. So, she then said she's not worried if I go six months before coming back to see her and get my blood checked. She said if I get worried about anything to call her. My A1C went from 6.7 at the beginning of this journey to now being 5.5. If I continue on with this lifestyle change hopefully it will be even lower come September. Kudos to everyone who is managing their diabetes so well.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Jemz

Jemz Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Brilliant @Lynnzhealth
    Ummmm...... OT but is that a Japanese Spitz in your photo?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook