LCHF diet but High Cholesterol

lefeilouss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I have been on LCHF diet and my blood sugar and HBA1C has never been so good control before at 6.4.
However my cholesterol went up high and now my doctor asks me to slowly decrease my insulin and medication slowly.
My main concern is my cholesterol due to High Ft and meat diet.
Anyone experience the same?
Any suggestions?
Maybe low fat and some low GI carbs in my diet?
Am confused...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I have been on LCHF diet and my blood sugar and HBA1C has never been so good control before at 6.4.
However my cholesterol went up high and now my doctor asks me to slowly decrease my insulin and medication slowly.
Any suggestions?
Am confused...
Do you have a breakdown of your lipid numbers? Or do you just have the total cholesterol number?
The total number is fairly useless so you need the breakdown into HDL, LDL, triglycerides in order to make any sensible decisions.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I agree with BB. You need a breakdown of those figures to make any sense of what is happening. You can get a printout of the test results from your surgery or if you have online access to your patient details you can see at a glance what tests wrr done and the results.

If you have made great changes to your diet or have actively lost some weight this can skew your results and this dan take a little while to 'normalise'.

lefeilouss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks

Let me check my results for the breakdown

What are the acceptable readings on a LCHF diet for HDL, LDL, Triglycerides?

Any idea?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks

Let me check my results for the breakdown

What are the acceptable readings on a LCHF diet for HDL, LDL, Triglycerides?

Any idea?

Your HDL needs to be as high as possible.
Your triglycerides need to be very low
Your LDL doesn't matter much at all if your trigs are low.

Acceptable readings are
HDL - 1.2 to 3.5
Trigs - 0 to 1.9 on a fasting test, and under 2.3 on a non-fasting test.

It is the trigs/HDL ratio that matters most and this should be under 0.87. (divide trigs by HDL)

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat LCHF and the last test done, at 6 months from diagnosis the trigs were 1.5, on a non fasting test and the ratios good normal and ideal - so I'll keep on with the meat and eggs and cream even though the loss of body fat means that I need cushions now.

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
is there anyone who does Low Carb and not so High Fat diet and whether is it possible?

It is a numbers game. To get calories you can choose between fat, protein or carbs. If you give up carbs that only leaves two options fat or protein. If you are trying to lose weight you can go into deficit for a while but only until you get to where you want to be.

You need to look at the breakdown of your cholesterol score as the others say. It is entirely possible to have high total cholesterol while most of that may be coming from HDL which is not a problem your GP should be very aware of this but maybe not?

Reactions: dbr10
I find dairy products increase my cholesterol. Things like cheese are a good source of fat, but you'll likely be able to improve your cholesterol levels by having less dairy in your diet. Try substituting other fat sources in place of dairy.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I find dairy products increase my cholesterol. Things like cheese are a good source of fat, but you'll likely be able to improve your cholesterol levels by having less dairy in your diet. Try substituting other fat sources in place of dairy.

Dietary cholesterol (from natural sources such as meat and dairy) does not impact on serum cholesterol to any great extent.
Cutting out dairy products means cutting down on the fats we need for energy, energy we would otherwise get from carbs.

Cholesterol is vital for life, it is so vital that the body does not leave it to chance by depending on diet. It is manufactured in the liver where it is tightly regulated.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies to anyone who has already seem this as I posted it on another thread, but I found this video very helpful with regards to cholesterol:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Apologies to anyone who has already seem this as I posted it on another thread, but I found this video very helpful with regards to cholesterol:

Members who need more information might like to view video presentations also on youtube by:
Prof. Ken Sikaris, Associate Professor in Clinical Pathology.
Dr. Malcolm Kendrick, author of 'The Great Cholesterol Con' and 'Doctoring Data'. British GP.
Dr. Aseem Malhotra, British Cardiologist.
Dave Feldman, Engineer.
And last but by no means least, The FatEmperor himself, Ivor Cummins. His lecture entitled 'The Cholesterol Conundrum' on youtube is imo Gold Standard.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi

Any suggestions?
Am confused...

I assume the bit about reducing medication, which is wonderful news, just got mixed in with your main worry.

As far as I know most of your cholesterol is made from carbohydrates inside your body, which is one reason that a high carbohydrate low fat diet doesn't give the results most expect.

I wouldn't switch to low fat and low GI carbohydrate; you are doing wonderfully on LCHF. Getting your BG under control is the most important thing.

Most people who are losing weight have higher cholesterol because that is the fat being burned off.

I am running high total cholesterol but the ratios are fine, so no worries.

Reactions: lefeilouss