Statins,Aaaaaaargh!!!!!

stevetur

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
gameboys,xboxes etc, and the poor sods who use facebook etc instead of having a real life.
For the past 3 years I have been on Simvastatin, and have suffered the usual joint problems, aches and pains etc. and have been unable to control my blood sugars, ( between 9.0 and 30!). taking 50 units of insulatard & 50 of Novorapid before breakfast, 50 0f Novorapid before meals, and 50 0f Insulatard before bed.
I was virtually Housebound.
I took the decision (against my GP's threats of doom gloom and fire&brimstone) and after 1week I felt so much better.
I have now been off Statins now for two months, my bloods are at a steady 6-9mmol and I have been able to drop my insulin drastically. My Diabetic nurse is overjoyed, my GP is apoplexic..as for Myself, I feel human again, and they can stick their Statins where the sun dont shine...

PS. Did you know that your GP gets a backhander for every person they put on statins ?

PPS had my first ever hypo this morning, 3.9mmol guess I will just have to drop my Insulin some more.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Atorvastatin cause bg reading to go up 10-20% from my experience.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Aseem Malhotra said in last nights presentation that one in five people will experience these side effects and all for very little benefit, if any at all. Well done for making up your own mind on the matter.
While I would never countenance anyone going against their doctor's advice I have to admit that I took the same decision after just one week on Atorvastatin, my quality of life suffered almost immediately on this drug and I stopped taking it. I must stress here that this is the only drug I have ever felt the need to withdraw from.

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Aseem Malhotra said in last nights presentation that one in five people will experience these side effects and all for very little benefit, if any at all. Well done for making up your own mind on the matter.
While I would never countenance anyone going against their doctor's advice I have to admit that I took the same decision after just one week on Atorvastatin, my quality of life suffered almost immediately on this drug and I stopped taking it. I must stress here that this is the only drug I have ever felt the need to withdraw from.
@Guzzler I had to hide a smile when I accompanied Hubby to the Drs last week. As he was lecturing him for not taking medication he actually turned to him and said 'For goodness sake you should be on statins at your age !' (he's 53 and has no intention of ever taking them)

Statins are evil imo and make pharma a lot of money......

Reactions: lindijanice

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Guzzler I had to hide a smile when I accompanied Hubby to the Drs last week. As he was lecturing him for not taking medication he actually turned to him and said 'For goodness sake you should be on statins at your age !' (he's 53 and has no intention of ever taking them)

Statins are evil imo and make pharma a lot of money......

Doctors have to face the fact that in today's information age we patients can be far more savvy about over medicating and the machinations of Big Pharma. It is our health and ultimately our decision. Gone are the days of forelock tugging at the HCPs.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
wow @millenium that is some increase !

There are many research that has figures similiar to what i have observed. The doctor prescribed high dose of atorvastatin to my father who has no cholesterol elevation, both ldl and total. I investigate after he complained of muscle ache, insomia and i found his blood glucose higher than before he was admitted despite of better diet control.

After he tapered and stopped statin, within less than a month his blood glucose easily became normal while taking 75g carb daily. No more muscle ache and insomia.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Statin is toxic to the liver.

lindisfel

Expert
Who wants to increase our risk of A.L.S. by c.20x? Nobody wants motor neurone disease.

It's a far better way to get rid of the bad LDL by a low carb high good fats diet and increasing our HDL and dropping our Trigs than taking a statin that drops LDL and has all sorts of unwanted side effects.

D.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Picked up my repeat prescription yesterday the lad who was ticking thje boxes for what I required next time went to tick the simvastatin box on the form I told him not to so the pharmacist took the ones that where in the bag out and that was that.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
For the past 3 years I have been on Simvastatin, and have suffered the usual joint problems, aches and pains etc. and have been unable to control my blood sugars, ( between 9.0 and 30!). taking 50 units of insulatard & 50 of Novorapid before breakfast, 50 0f Novorapid before meals, and 50 0f Insulatard before bed.
I was virtually Housebound.
I took the decision (against my GP's threats of doom gloom and fire&brimstone) and after 1week I felt so much better.
I have now been off Statins now for two months, my bloods are at a steady 6-9mmol and I have been able to drop my insulin drastically. My Diabetic nurse is overjoyed, my GP is apoplexic..as for Myself, I feel human again, and they can stick their Statins where the sun dont shine...

PS. Did you know that your GP gets a backhander for every person they put on statins ?

PPS had my first ever hypo this morning, 3.9mmol guess I will just have to drop my Insulin some more.

https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

Please Yellow Card the drug.

I urge anyone who has stopped statins because of the side effects to Yellow Card them. That way there is a record and they can't trivialise all the suffering cause by these drugs,

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been taking Atorvastatin for very nearly 12 months ..and have not experienced any adverse effects.

As Statins have reduced my blood fats to the safe ✻green✻ zone ..I'm quids in too.

Last edited:
Reactions: mountaintom

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have been been taking Atorvastatin for very nearly 12 months ..and have not experienced any adverse effects.

As Statins have reduced my blood fats to the safe ✻green✻ zone ..I'm quids in too.

You may be interested in how the recommended levels of <5 for the general population and <4 for those with Diabetes were come by. The numbers were decided by a committee and were 'plucked out of thin air' according to Kendrick. The info is in the public domain, I beleive.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5376791/

There are plenty of peer reviewed research on the effect of atorvastatin worsening bgl and Ha1c, some on the progression of diabetes to its next level.

If i have bad cholesterol level and have to take it, i will definitely monitor my glucose level very closely.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0735109710001865

From above reference:

Atorvastatin 10, 20, 40, and 80 mg significantly increased fasting plasma insulin (mean changes: 25%, 42%, 31%, and 45%, respectively) and glycated hemoglobin levels (2%, 5%, 5%, and 5%, respectively) when compared with either baseline (all p < 0.05 by paired t test) or placebo (p = 0.009 for insulin and p = 0.008 for glycated hemoglobin by ANOVA). Atorvastatin 10, 20, 40, and 80 mg decreased insulin sensitivity (1%, 3%, 3%, and 4%, respectively) when compared with either baseline (p = 0.312, p = 0.008, p < 0.001, and p = 0.008, respectively, by paired t test) or placebo (p = 0.033 by ANOVA).

Last edited:

Lynn74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Got my latest Hba1c today. Down to 51 from 60. DN very pleased but wants me to start on Simvastatin 40mgs. Cholesterol levels 4.7 ( which I thought was great !) She says it's a preventative measure. All I have read are pretty negative experiences. Does anyone think it's a good idea ?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Got my latest Hba1c today. Down to 51 from 60. DN very pleased but wants me to start on Simvastatin 40mgs. Cholesterol levels 4.7 ( which I thought was great !) She says it's a preventative measure. All I have read are pretty negative experiences. Does anyone think it's a good idea ?

Considering that a statin can raise blood glucose levels.... no.

Reactions: Lynn74

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope

Reactions: Lynn74

MrsGruffy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stopped taking Atorvastatin 2 or more months ago. I was diagnosed with diabetes (with 2 consecutive lab tested fasting BGs of 19 and 20 mmol/L) about a month after the statin dose was doubled to 80 mg. Prior to that, I have around 5 years of at least annual HBA1C results which were never even in the pre-diabetic range. I think it's time that this particular statin carried a black box warning about it's association with developing T2 diabetes.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ultimately it is your decision however research well before making it. I was prescribed Pravostatins when diagnosed with T2 with an hba1c of 48. I suffered dizzy spells and sleep disturbance and after 3 months my hba1c rose to 54 but cholesterol was 3.2 which I have since learned is too low. I told my doctor I was not going to take them anymore and he was happy for me to stop them - since then my hba1c has stayed between 35 and 37. I still have the statins talk at every review with my DN but politely refuse her kind offer!!