Libre/Tegaderm?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm getting on with the Libre pretty well, the only problem I have is the Tegaderm patch starts peeling after 8 or 9 days, probably due to swimming, last time I pressed down on the sensor and peeled the film off, but was worried I'd pull it out, the current one is peeling too, any swimmers got any suggestions/alternatives please?

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just place another tegaderm patch on top of the original one xx

Reactions: kev-w

Tjroberts3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven’t tried it myself but a rep from Abbott/Freestyle told me about something called Skin Tack she gets from eBay. Apparently it’s very good if you do sports and sweat a lot/swimming

Mick1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What about something like this for swimming

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZD7BAJY64/freestyle-libre-sensor-holder-clock-model

710x528_21689537_12206799_1519845000.jpg

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:p I like it :) :)

I'm probably being thick :) but do you mean a bigger one over it or cut one up to stick it down?
Away on a tangent but is there such a thing as 'skin glue'?

I use Tegaderm to cover a wound which isn’t healing, so that I can have a shower (long story).

I needed some more, and have just spent some time browsing on Amazon to see which would be best. They have lots of different sizes, including some on rolls, which would be easier to handle if you just wanted a small bit.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks y'all :)

I'm going to look into skin tack, don't fancy a strap, and have just peeled the Tegaderm off again and stuck a new piece on, the flappy bits are discoloured so didn't fancy wrapping over the top :/
It's always the little things....

BananaK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another thought is to use something else over the Libre itself with the tegaderm over that. Effectively meaning you can replace the tegaderm without peeling off the Libre. A circle of plastic, maybe paper? Not sure...

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rocktape in the closing days, vet-wrap (cohesive bandage) over the top... I can't use tegaderm anymore so normally just use vet-wrap... rocktape for emergencies

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found 2 different things effective.

They are both a bit Blue Petery, but they both work. :D

1 cut out a small circle of paper, kitchen paper or tissue and place it in the middle of the tegaderm, then apply over the sensor. The paper is white, so you don't even notice that it is there, and none of the sticky from the Tegaderm touches the sensor. Removal is as easy as peeling it off.

2. take a pair of sharp scissors and trim off the old peeling edges of the Tegaderm, until you are left with only the circle over the sensor. Then stick more Tegaderm on top.

Unless you are a contortionist, or have a Beautiful Assistant, the first option is easier.

I actually use Opsite rather than Tegaderm, but the principle is the same.

Reactions: gemma_T1

samiam95124

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recently discovered Tegaderm to cover the freestyle libre. I don't know WHY they leave it to you to discover how to properly secure the device, it DOES NOT stay put for 15 days unless you don't bathe.

Anyways, the Tegaderm has several advantages over the large bandaids I was using before, it is transparent, it breathes, and it causes less skin damage.

I have found the Tegaderm lasts less time that some of the bandaids I was using, perhaps 3 days max, and one single bath will kill it. I am staying with the system because it has other advantages.

To take the Tegaderm off without removing the sensor, I hold down the sensor and pull up an edge a bit up over the sensor. Then I hold the sensor down on the uncovered part and pull it all the way off. It takes practice, but is doable.

Scott
San Jose, CA