Help needed

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you continue to have the false hypos, try drinking more - oddly enough they seem to be more of a problem when dehydrated and hot - and the weather here has changed in a few days from rather chilly in the wind to heatwave. Plain tap water seems to be the ideal option as long as your tap water is potable - and not chilled.
I found that just a few grapes - three large ones, taken after drinking at least half a pint of water and chewed slowly and calmly did the trick when the low carb diet started to have real glucose lowering effects.
Although it is not a 'real' hypo it is a real case of the wobblies, so it needs to be treated, but slightly differently to a true hypo seems to give better and faster results.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I started by feeling weird, then went thick headed and woozy. My legs went weak and I seriously thought I was going to faint. I staggered over to a chair. By that time sweat was pouring off my face and my hands where heavy and shaking so much I couldn't control them whilst typing. Which then got me confused about what I was trying to type and what the hell was I going to do. My heart started pounding an I really started panicking as to how to get help. Does that not sound like a hypo or is a hypo different to that? Please remember that a month ago I knew nothing about diabetics or the effects.
That sounds exactly like a hypo (I’m on insulin as a T1, so know all too well how they feel), you described it perfectly. False or not, your brain was sending glucose starved panic signals that your body felt compelled to obey. I imagine you’ve been running high glucose for a while, so any drop is going to make you brain panic, and that’s a very hard signal to ignore.

I can’t really add much to what’s already been said, so please get yourself a meter ASAP, and I hope you’re feeling better today x

Reactions: lindijanice

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Last edited:
Reactions: TooManyCrisps

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Allanmax , there's an article at link below discussing false hypos. It gives an analogy: if you run your central heating at 85 degrees, you're going to feel chilly at 70. Also mentions false hypos being caused by rapid drops so it feels like a hypo even if still in range.

http://blog.joslin.org/2012/02/a-false-sense-of-hypoglycemia/

I wouldn't necessarily rule out the possibility of it having been a real sub-4 hypo but impossible to tell without a meter. Even non-diabetics can hypo - marathon runners sometimes "hit the wall" at 21 miles when they start running low on glucose.

If you want to know more about the mechanics of it, it's worthwhile googling autonomic and neuroglycopenic hypoglycaemia.

The autonomic system is the one which automatically tweaks various bodily systems without you having to think about it. When it reckons glucose is getting too low, it'll fire out adrenalin to tell the liver to release glucose. But it's more of an adrenalin rush than you're used to, so just like people are often shaky following a fright, it's mainly the rush of adrenalin which causes the sweating, tremors etc. Although unpleasant, it's actually a sign that the body is actively taking steps to try to mend the situation.

The neuroglycopenic part is the effect on the brain. It runs on glucose and basically just doesn't work as well if glucose is limited. That explains why there's often confusion and disorientation - the brain starts working differently.

Responses to hypos and false hypos can be different for T1s and T2s, but, as a T1, I've taken some comfort from knowing a little bit about the mechanisms behind it, so that I know that for the vast majority of hypos or rapid drops I might have, it'll be sorted out ok with enough glucose.

Reactions: Juicyj

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok first ever blood test. After this mornings scare and possible complication of eating a snickers bar. Feel pretty good about myself as it came back as 6.7, I was made up with that.

You now need to be organised with your testing.
Test before you eat
Test again 2 hours after first bite
Look at the difference between before and after and try to keep the rise under 2mmol/l and preferably a lot less.
Keep a food diary including portion sizes.
Record your levels alongside the food
Look for patterns - your danger foods will soon be very obvious
Reduce the danger foods or eliminate them completely.

You can also test at bedtimes and as soon as you get up, and any time you feel ill.

I use a spread sheet for all my records as I find them easy and can do averages and graphs on them. There are apps and whatnot available if you prefer.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Allanmax ,

Good news about getting the meter. I agree with @Bluetit1802 above...

What I would suggest (in addition.) is, if you have another episode? (False hypo or not.) treat it first then test immediately on a finger that hasn't handled food...

Reason being. A blood sample for a meter reading shows what your blood was doing approximately 15minutes ago? (Like a snapshot in time..) If it is a hypo? Then, the right thig was done. If it happens to be a falsie!? Well, nothing clues one up than a meter.
I have no reason to disbelieve that metformin can occasionally contribute to low BG. My T2 dad used to drop to 2.8 until he was pulled off the met. He also lowered his carb intake by around 60%? (One of the rare T2s on met prescribed his own meter.)
I epathise with your syptoms. @Allanmax . Now you have a tool to gauge why. :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I used to get false hypos, it's because your is used to running on a high level of glucose, and you are now reducing it, I would get them about 16:00 always kept sweets in the van, to take the edge off until dinner.

Allanmax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ickihun I don't know if that comment was directed towards me or not but when I was diagnosed and informed by the doctor he said I'm putting you on this metaformin so you don't need a tester so I wasn't given one. When I had my episode l went back and told them about it and requested one because I want to know what my own body is doing as I've got no idea. One was then supplied by a nurse but I was told I'd have to pay for the strips needles myself . They gave me the Gluco nexus. Seems ok but the extras are very expensive. Don't know if I can afford to use it , might have to change for a different one. They prices quoted to me worked out around £30 for boxes of 50.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought a Code free metre for about £12.00. Strips are £14.99 for 100.

Arsenal79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really need your bloods monitor ASAP that's the only way your going know for sure if it's high or low hope u get this sorted soon

Reactions: Hwad

Hansenguy62

Need some advice quick. Been ok but now shaking like mad. Sweating like crazy and dizzy as hell. Only been diagnosed couple of weeks, haven't got a blood monitor yet. Am I going into hypo, sweats dripping and fingers feel like lead and shaking like crazy
Go A/E to be on safe side mate then google the keto diet plan it works miracles trust me if u type 2

Sent from my SM-G955F using Diabetes Forum mobile app

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Allanmax
Have you been on Amazon.co.uk ? You might find Test Strips and Lancets cheaper for the Nexus Meter.

Reactions: Allanmax