Bread ... why?

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since we're asking questions about bread, here's one:

When you make 'eggy bread' / 'French toast', do you see it as a sweet or savoury thing, and what do you add to it?

This thread has made me think about the versatility of bread and I've just realised, since moving to low-carb bread, I've never made 'French toast'. Crikey, or fried bread with a fried breakfast. Since butter is now encouraged, I might have to give that a go at some point.

It's funny how things change. A couple of years ago I thought fried bread was bad because of all the butter. But now I'll be making it with a tiny piece of low carb bread and a ton of butter :)
Savoury, with or without bacon. Unless my Lancashire grandmother made it - she used to fry the eggy bread in lard and then sprinkle it liberally with sugar. Then again, she used to have lettuce and sugar sandwiches for a supper. I now have memory drool syndrome - the lettuce and sugar sarnies seemed to help with sleep (lettuce has a natural soporific so she was correct on that at least!) and were surprisingly satisfying with their combination of crunch, slight crunch/slipperyness (no iceberg lettuce in those days) and soft bread.

Reactions: AdamJames

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@AdamJames you have made me remember normal fried bread. A couple of years ago I succumbed to half a slice of fried white bread with a normal low carb fry up. It was delicious, and surprisingly it made NO difference to my post meal levels. I have had it a few times since, and still no difference, with or without the bread the levels are the same. I haven't had any since the Lidl rolls were first discovered a year or so ago. I do like some toast with my fry ups, so I am now going to try the fried again. Half a slice is enough, and I'm sure the fat in the frying keeps any spikes down. The bread soaks a lot of this up.

Reactions: zand and AdamJames

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Savoury, with or without bacon. Unless my Lancashire grandmother made it - she used to fry the eggy bread in lard and then sprinkle it liberally with sugar. Then again, she used to have lettuce and sugar sandwiches for a supper. I now have memory drool syndrome - the lettuce and sugar sarnies seemed to help with sleep (lettuce has a natural soporific so she was correct on that at least!) and were surprisingly satisfying with their combination of crunch, slight crunch/slipperyness (no iceberg lettuce in those days) and soft bread.

Wow, lettuce and sugar sandwiches? That's a new one to me!

Re French toast, my dad always thought of it as savoury and would add peas for example. Me, I always had it with a bit of sugar sprinkled on top.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A couple of years ago I succumbed to half a slice of fried white bread with a normal low carb fry up. It was delicious, and surprisingly it made NO difference to my post meal levels. I have had it a few times since, and still no difference, with or without the bread the levels are the same.

This sounds very promising. I've never thought to try fried bread since avoiding carby foods, but I've got to try this at least once and see what it does to my blood sugar! I'd be particularly amazed if I could get away with it using normal white bread, but now I have to know!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Then again, she used to have lettuce and sugar sandwiches

My husband always had sugar on his lettuce - in a normal full salad. He sprinkled it on like salt and pepper. He says it was the only way he could eat it. He doesn't eat any lettuce now if he can help it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This sounds very promising. I've never thought to try fried bread since avoiding carby foods, but I've got to try this at least once and see what it does to my blood sugar! I'd be particularly amazed if I could get away with it using normal white bread, but now I have to know!

I take no responsibility for any rise in levels you may incur. :arghh:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I now have memory drool syndrome - the lettuce and sugar sarnies seemed to help with sleep (lettuce has a natural soporific so she was correct on that at least!) and were surprisingly satisfying with their combination of crunch, slight crunch/slipperyness (no iceberg lettuce in those days) and soft bread.
My husband always had sugar on his lettuce - in a normal full salad. He sprinkled it on like salt and pepper. He says it was the only way he could eat it. He doesn't eat any lettuce now if he can help it.

Blimey sugar and lettuce that’s a blast from the past! We used to put vinegar and sugar on lettuce in a salad when I was a child!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey sugar and lettuce that’s a blast from the past! We used to put vinegar and sugar on lettuce in a salad when I was a child!

Strangely that seems less strange than just sugar. Maybe because it sounds like sugar and vinegar may be a bit like balsamic dressing. Not that I've ever tried mixing sugar and vinegar!

Reactions: DJC3 and Rachox

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What perplexes me is that some people say they love the taste of box standard, shop bought white bread. All the white carbs to me are utterly tasteless, when was the last time you heard anyone say 'Oooh! This tastes just like bread/potato/pasta? Until I started experimenting with flavoured breads (a family favourite is a tear and share bread with added dry cured bacon and a blue cheese) I thought it tasted nice. These days I look on it as packaging for a filling that would otherwise make your messy and drip down your frontage.

Reactions: DJC3

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Oh you rotten rascals! I came away from the thread and was struck by the thought "Perhaps... with a lower carb flour, more fat in the way of cheese and more protein by way of bacon I could have a go with a bite or two of tear and share...' This was a plot to lull me into a false sense of security! :arghh:

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What perplexes me is that some people say they love the taste of box standard, shop bought white bread.

That's a good point, when I think about it, I don't actually like the taste of plain white bread. But I think it works well with certain contents. E.g. I prefer a bacon sandwich made with plain white bread, and I'm not so keen on a bacon sandwich made with brown or seeded bread or 'speciality' bread.

Same with toasting - I think some plain whites make a very nice toast. I prefer white toasted than wholemeal for example.

But if I had bread on its own, or just with butter, plain white wouldn't be my choice. I'd prefer a speciality bread like Irish soda bread, a good seeded bread, or rye bread etc.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to love those crusty French baguettes, sliced up. But it wasn't the bread so much as the heaps of butter and the inevitable crunchiness. I do admit to being naughty if I'm eating out and one of the small ones is served with the food. Thank goodness we don't eat out very often.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got a freezer full of LivLife bread, so I've just tried two slices, one as fried bread and one as eggy bread.

I'd say that LivLife, as Eggy Bread, is 'not really worth it'. I don't have sugar in the house as you might imagine so I couldn't have it the way I would in the past, but I'm pretty sure it still wouldn't be worth it. Eggy bread is probably one of those things where a thick slice of tasteless white works best. I think I used to use Warburton's Toastie for eggy bread.

LivLife as fried bread works a bit better. They are tiny slices but it absorbed not only the bacon fat that was in the pan from this morning, but also the fat from another slice of bacon I made with it just now, and a small knob of butter. It could have absorbed a lot more if I'd let it! It was quite nice with the bacon, and I'll be trying it again next time I make a full fried breakfast. I think, again, that fried bread may be better made with plain white.

Overall I'd say that what I have been doing with LivLife recently - toasting it and putting butter on it - is my favourite use of it by far.

I think I prefer HiLo from Sainsbury's anyway, but don't have any in as I need to use up my supplies of LivLife first.

D

Deleted Account

I remember taking brown sugar sandwiches to school - 2 slices of tasteless white read slathered with a trowel's thickness of butter and filled with brown sugar. It was considered a treat.
I no longer like white sliced bread (I bake my own sourdough), stopped having butter ... or marg on my bread many years ago (I use hummus or mayo to moisten the sarnies) and my teeth are decaying at the thought of all that sugar.
Thankfully, my tastes changed/matured way before I was diagnosed with diabetes.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If anyone finds a good alternative to Lidl rolls please start a thread! I don't really want a low carb loaf, I have never bought one, but I do like rolls that are easy for a filling packed lunch.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love bread. But none of the substitutes have ever come close, even the gluten free ones which don’t affect my bg nearly as much as the gluteny ones. So I just don’t bother nowadays. Just not worth it.

My mother developed a wheat intolerance when I was a child.
From that point on we never have bread, pastry, cakes, biscuits, etc in the house.
As a result I never became ‘culturally indoctrinated’ (I can’t think of a better expression ;))
Sometimes i feel like an alien looking in on a Bread Culture.

I did continue to eat wheat occasionally when away from home, but the experience stood me in v good stead when i went LC and later GF.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdamJames