Not coping :(

Suedaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I dont feel im coping well with all this i feel so down and had a bad weekend where im feeling ill and wanting to cry i even pretended to tidy cellar yesterday so i could have a cry

and now to top it all ive just had a call from docs receptionist to tell me when i was diagnosed on 16th march and dont know why she called as she just said that she had been requested to check date and didnt know if i had wanted to know or the doc

i asked about my Urine test and she looked and said its ok at first then changed her mind and said i have to see doc and ive gotta go see him next mon

can someone tell me what the Urine test was for please

thankyou x

Reactions: Freema

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Suedaisy Sorry to hear your feeling down, it's quite over whelming and sounds like your in limbo at the moment until you see your doctor, can you bring your appointment forward and tell them how you are feeling, as it sounds like you need some re-assurance ? The urine test could be a few things and rather than tell you what these are and stimulate further worry, it's best you speak to your surgery in the morning to see if they can bring your apt forward and confirm it, it's easier to work with what you know rather than speculate, best wishes.

Suedaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Suedaisy Sorry to hear your feeling down, it's quite over whelming and sounds like your in limbo at the moment until you see your doctor, can you bring your appointment forward and tell them how you are feeling, as it sounds like you need some re-assurance ? The urine test could be a few things and rather than tell you what these are and stimulate further worry, it's best you speak to your surgery in the morning to see if they can bring your apt forward and confirm it, it's easier to work with what you know rather than speculate, best wishes.

Thankyou for reply i did ask for earlier appointment but she said that would be nxt week the Urine test was requested by the diabetic nurse last week but didnt say what it was for

i think i was feel ill over weekend and im trying so hard not to worry but not easy xxx i go to work just for normality but have to use glocose tablets xxx

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Suedaisy welcome and please accept a hug from me at what is a difficult time it can be a huge blow and very depressing to get a major health diagnosis like diabetes. I was depressed and anxious already when diagnosed and had been for a few years partly due to my caring responsibilities and think that it didn’t help but even if you were perfectly on the level poor health and a diabetes diagnosis can knock you off that level. I’m sure most of us felt some of the distress you are going through at the moment.
I’d mainly like to say to you that it can and will get better if you are able to take it one step at a time and ask for help and advice - this forum is a great place if you need to talk and get information.
I’m also wondering about the glucose tablets are you on medication that means you are experiencing an hypo or are you feeling anxious about having an hypo? Do you test your blood?
Re the urine test again try not to worry many of us get diagnosed with diabetes type two because of urinary infection or thrush or high glucose in the urine and I’m sure this will be explained if you telephoned to ask the receptionist or nurse it’s your information after all and better than worrying.
Does your Gp surgery allow you to register online to access your own test results why not ask when talking to them next. All surgeries are being encouraged to do this. Mine did so recently and I’ve found it useful to see my own results. If they tell you a result and you don’t understand what the number means I’m sure someone on here could give you a guideline.
Meanwhile try and be kind to yourself and maybe try and think of one thing that you could do to help you improve your health this could be looking at a change to your diet or looking at ways of managing the stress you’re experiencing. Do keep asking and do talk to your surgery it can be good if you’ve got time I’ve found to go in to surgery to talk to receptionist rather than ring but realise this may not be realistic for you but I’ve found them more helpful face to face but that may just be me!

Suedaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Suedaisy welcome and please accept a hug from me at what is a difficult time it can be a huge blow and very depressing to get a major health diagnosis like diabetes. I was depressed and anxious already when diagnosed and had been for a few years partly due to my caring responsibilities and think that it didn’t help but even if you were perfectly on the level poor health and a diabetes diagnosis can knock you off that level. I’m sure most of us felt some of the distress you are going through at the moment.
I’d mainly like to say to you that it can and will get better if you are able to take it one step at a time and ask for help and advice - this forum is a great place if you need to talk and get information.
I’m also wondering about the glucose tablets are you on medication that means you are experiencing an hypo or are you feeling anxious about having an hypo? Do you test your blood?
Re the urine test again try not to worry many of us get diagnosed with diabetes type two because of urinary infection or thrush or high glucose in the urine and I’m sure this will be explained if you telephoned to ask the receptionist or nurse it’s your information after all and better than worrying.
Does your Gp surgery allow you to register online to access your own test results why not ask when talking to them next. All surgeries are being encouraged to do this. Mine did so recently and I’ve found it useful to see my own results. If they tell you a result and you don’t understand what the number means I’m sure someone on here could give you a guideline.
Meanwhile try and be kind to yourself and maybe try and think of one thing that you could do to help you improve your health this could be looking at a change to your diet or looking at ways of managing the stress you’re experiencing. Do keep asking and do talk to your surgery it can be good if you’ve got time I’ve found to go in to surgery to talk to receptionist rather than ring but realise this may not be realistic for you but I’ve found them more helpful face to face but that may just be me!

Thankyou @shelley262 i think im still finding it hard to understand everything as it came as a huge shock to be told i was diabetes by mistake as i wasnt told about my blood test in Oct 17 that i was diabetic and only by chance for another matter that the doc mentioned it and when i was retested it came back high again and was told i have been like this since jan 2016

i was put on Metformin twice a day on 16th march but over weekend ive been feeling dizzy and weak and shaky thats why i had the glocose tablets as DN said to have something sugery

im gunna call DN tomoz xx

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou @shelley262 i think im still finding it hard to understand everything as it came as a huge shock to be told i was diabetes by mistake as i wasnt told about my blood test in Oct 17 that i was diabetic and only by chance for another matter that the doc mentioned it and when i was retested it came back high again and was told i have been like this since jan 2016

i was put on Metformin twice a day on 16th march but over weekend ive been feeling dizzy and weak and shaky thats why i had the glocose tablets as DN said to have something sugery

im gunna call DN tomoz xx
Right most important thing to say is that you may have brought your sugars down but not be used to how this feels - but may not be a good plan to take glucose tablets - as this is just what your body dosent need at the moment. I remember when I first reduced my carbs I panicked one night and couldn’t sleep because I was concerned I’d have a hypo so went and had a hot chocolate but looking back I was just anxious and the more I learnt about diabetes, Metformin and the best way to manage the condition including taking my blood sugars which often showed high not low scores when I felt dizzy! - the better I felt both in my body and my mental well-being.
Good luck with drs in the morning and ask for any advice you need. Presume you’ve had a good read around the forum

Reactions: jjraak and Freema

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I dont feel im coping well with all this i feel so down and had a bad weekend where im feeling ill and wanting to cry i even pretended to tidy cellar yesterday so i could have a cry

and now to top it all ive just had a call from docs receptionist to tell me when i was diagnosed on 16th march and dont know why she called as she just said that she had been requested to check date and didnt know if i had wanted to know or the doc

i asked about my Urine test and she looked and said its ok at first then changed her mind and said i have to see doc and ive gotta go see him next mon

thankyou x
Hello and welcome, I agree with the comments and advice already given to you from others. I would also like to add that what you are feeling seems quiet normal to me, I felt exactly the same. I was diagnosed completely out of the blue, no leading symptoms and was originally told everything was fine, huge relief, 4 days later, phone call from surgery to say that everything wasn’t fine, I was diabetic and needed to see the nurse, massive shock.
I am not ashamed to admit I cried at my first appointment, I was so upset and scared.
I found out as much as I could and decided to see this condition as an opportunity to take control of my health and my life. I believe we need to grieve for the loss of our pre diabetic life and that may take some of us longer than others but I am now in a better place health wise, I’m fitter than I was, I’m a lot lighter than I was and I have more energy than I did. I occasionally find myself wandering along the path of self pity but I quickly remind myself of how far I’ve come in a relatively short space of time. The changes needed to control this condition are for life which sometimes seems unfair but I’d rather it be as it is than not be here at all.
Take your time to come to terms with your situation, take each day at a time, there may even be days when you need to take it hour by hour. You are in control of your future much more than anyone else you know right now and that can be quite motivating, I hope as we move towards better weather your outlook will also brighten and you start to see positive changes to your health and in yourself. We are all here to help when you need us and I wish you all the very best.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Perhaps you could have a telephone conversation with either the doctor or DN to allay some of your worries. Diagnosis is a shock but the good news is that you can take control of the situation, improve your health and feel much happier, but you do need to be disciplined. It can be done and people here are willing to encourage and help answer questions.
You may have felt ill for any number of reasons, but that is in the past and you need to look to the future and what you are going to do to help yourself. So find time to buy yourself a meter and then teach yourself how to use it (persuading a droplet of blood from the side of your finger may take a bit of experimentation :)) Use a tape measure and set yourself a target either of weight loss or weight maintenance, then get rid of the high carb foods in your cupboard and do not buy them again. By getting rid of them you are not tempted, it takes a while for the first few weeks going round the supermarket and reading the labels to find foods with low carbs (usually less than 10 per 100g but definitely under 15.) there are lots of things that you can enjoy - eggs, cheeses, cream, high percentage chocolate ( a square at a time as a treat!) and it is not all rabbit food;)

Suedaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou so much im usually a positive person so gunna give my head a wobble lol and turn my egatives into positive x

i will hopefully get there and learn about diabetes but so much to learn x

shirleyannco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I felt exactly like this my diagnosis came out of the blue when I had a pre op appointment before knee replacement surgery. Didn’t get on with my diabetes nurse have never seen a doctor. I got myself a Libre Sensor and haven’t looked back I stick to a low carb diet and take no medication I’m in charge of my diabetes and my life

Reactions: Petaluk and Freema

donnieboy

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

thankyou x
I'm guessing the urine strips are to test for ketones, which, if present, indicate high blood sugar levels. As a T1 I have learned to adapt - first to casually treating myself with injections, eventually to many injections/day, and now to pump therapy. Or, the consequences are not at all nice. Everyone has a burden of one type or another. This one is treatable, at least. If you're a T2, then perhaps diet and exercise is your path. Diabetics can be among the healthiest in the population as they are constantly monitoring their food intake and bodies. It's not the worst thing, really.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm guessing the urine strips are to test for ketones, which, if present, indicate high blood sugar levels. As a T1 I have learned to adapt - first to casually treating myself with injections, eventually to many injections/day, and now to pump therapy. Or, the consequences are not at all nice. Everyone has a burden of one type or another. This one is treatable, at least. If you're a T2, then perhaps diet and exercise is your path. Diabetics can be among the healthiest in the population as they are constantly monitoring their food intake and bodies. It's not the worst thing, really.

Well at least now they take your diabetes seriously , it is normal to have some consultations in the beginning , also to check the urine for high levels of glucose or ketones, then many go to a check every 3 months if it is also what the patient wants , it seems to me you could need some support and consolation .... But what they probably don’t tell you if you are type 2 diabetic is that you can get normal blood glucose levels if you learn the low carb eating style most need to go under 150 grams of carbs daily

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes

thankyou x
I'm so sorry that you've been finding it hard. I'm still prediabetic but I found even that hard to come to terms with. Even now, after 5 years of being prediabetic, I still sometimes get fed up with it all. If you are inclined towards anxiety and low moods, waiting for the results of tests is very worrying.I hope all goes well for you.
The urine test may be just to check that your kidney function is doing ok.
Might be an idea to draw up a list of questions for when you see the doc, as sometimes it's hard to think when you're in there.

Glitter 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear you are feeling down. I feel your pain, I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago and am not coping either. I know to keep my BG I need to eat low carb, but I absolutely hate it. Currently sat drinking wine... you are not alone, diabetes sucks majorly.

Reactions: Petaluk and Freema

Em74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

thankyou x

I think most of us have bad days, I was only diagnosed on the 14th April and it was a shock diagnosis, I went to the doctors for something else and ended up being told I had diabetes and they need to give me insulin there and then. I will be honest going straight onto insulin scared me, I couldn’t stop crying at all, pure shock!

After I got home and did some research I realized it wasn’t the end of the world and I could manage this. Right now I’m fighting to get my BS down as it’s still high, but it’s a journey and not a race. Potato’s are the things I’m struggling to give up, or should I say reduce drastically lol.

Try and keep positive, there is some great information out there, I know that helped me feel more reassured. Good luck!

Reactions: Petaluk

Swiftnick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Beetroot

thankyou x

Hi Sue.

It came as a shock when I was diagnosed 18 months ago, especially when I was told I needed to inject insulin. I think it's a case of being positive and making some lifestyle changes with the diet, eg I now cook up a potato and veg bake, which is pretty healthy, and I've cut down (not out) on other 'necessities' - wine, ice cream for example.

Nick

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with T2 last week when I went in for what I thought was a UTI and they found sugar in my urine. My BG was 21. Was given Metformin and told to come back in a few weeks with no other info. This site has helped me figure out diet and other things and I’ve managed to bring it down to about 8.5 over the last week, although frankly I may not be eating enough. Not sure. I am also having a hard time coping and left work in tears today, so I can totally relate. I hope to have a better grip soon.

Reactions: Petaluk

bezconnie

Type of diabetes
Type 1

thankyou x

bezconnie

Type of diabetes
Type 1

thankyou x

bezconnie

Type of diabetes
Type 1

thankyou x[/QUOTE it can be a number of things bit it check you don't have a thing Calder keytones with is to much a

thankyou x
Diabetic nephropathy is diagnosed using tests that check for a protein (albumin) in the urine, which points to kidney damage. Your urine will be checked for protein (urinalysis) when you are diagnosed with diabetes.

An albumin urine test can detect very small amounts of protein in the urine that cannot be detected by a routine urine test, allowing early detection of nephropathy. Early detection is important, to prevent further damage to the kidneys. The results of two tests, done within a 3- to 6-month period, are needed to diagnose nephropathy.

When to begin checking for protein in the urine depends on the type of diabetes you have. After testing begins, it should be done every year.

Reactions: miguelcr