Bad news Update

set-in-stone

Looks like I'm up for round two. Me vs cervical cancer.
On a positive note, the lymph node I was worried about has carried on shrinking.
Bad news is that there is something growing where the cancer was. Oncologist isn't sure how to proceed and needs to consult with the team, but I'll need another PET scan and possibly surgery.
Another appointment in three weeks.

I'd like some advice on a keto cancer diet please? As these cancers seem to feed on glucose it makes sense to reduce it.
Looking online gives me conflicting information. ie grass fed meat, no dairy ? etc.
I've never measured ketones so don't really know how low carb I'd have to go ? What do you use to measure your ketones please and where do I buy that ?

Big ((hugs)) to you @daisyduck
So sorry to hear your news. Too new to post links, but will echo the Diet Doctor site. I have watched a couple of videos on this. One was about a mum on Keto for her child with cancer. Stay strong x

KeithT 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On a positive note, the lymph node I was worried about has carried on shrinking.
Bad news is that there is something growing where the cancer was. Oncologist isn't sure how to proceed and needs to consult with the team, but I'll need another PET scan and possibly surgery.

I'd like some advice on a keto cancer diet please? As these cancers seem to feed on glucose it makes sense to reduce it.
Looking online gives me conflicting information. ie grass fed meat, no dairy ? etc.
I've never measured ketones so don't really know how low carb I'd have to go ? What do you use to measure your ketones please and where do I buy that ?
I know nothing about the Keto diet but I do wish you all the best with this set back. I do know that low carb is the answer to keeping BG numbers down as I have been doing this without a diet plan. However, I sometimes slip up and then my numbers pull me up sharply to remind me of this terrible disease. I'm sure you will find plenty of information within the Google search engine but do analyse that information forensically before taking it on board. Best wishes and good luck.

Reactions: daisyduck

Diligent500

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I dislike being diabetic and two heavy I am 80kg and want to get down to 50 kg very soon.

Hello Daisy Duck,
If I was in your Situation I would do what I have done this Past 2 Weeks I have gone Low Carb I've had weight loss and my blood sugars are a lot better I am Not saying you need to loose weight that's my situation but the above dose reduce carb intake which would reduce your blood sugar and Help you Heal Better.

All the best let us know how you get on.

Diligent500.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Daisy Duck,
If I was in your Situation I would do what I have done this Past 2 Weeks I have gone Low Carb I've had weight loss and my blood sugars are a lot better I am Not saying you need to loose weight that's my situation but the above dose reduce carb intake which would reduce your blood sugar and Help you Heal Better.

All the best let us know how you get on.

Diligent500.

Thanks @Diligent500 I have always controlled my diabetes with LCHF and have taken it a step further into the Ketogenic diet which is less than 20g carbs a day. This is the end of my second week and I'm feeling very well and energetic :)
The PET scan today probably messed up my ketosis for a day or two.. they injected me with a radioactive sugar solution which goes straight to the cancer and highlights it on the scan. That shows how much these tumours rely on glucose !! It certainly won't be getting any extra from me !

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find this link interesting though it is mainly about keto and brain tumours. It is written by reputable doctor/nutritionist. I have had cancer in the past and now eat a very low carb diet. I would certainly look at keto if I had treatment again given the increasing information about it. It is used for epilepsy and is successful in about 40% cases i think so there must be something in it!
https://www.cancer.net/blog/podcast...strowd-md-and-annette-goldberg-ms-mba-rdn-ldn

Newyorker

Type of diabetes
Type 2

So sorry to hear this. I have a great website that explains all about keto and will give you menu plans. It is called diet doctor. The first month is free, so if you download all the info you can just cancel the subscription. There is also loads of videos on the site that explain things.

I will be thinking of and will keep you in my prayers.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry to hear this. I have a great website that explains all about keto and will give you menu plans. It is called diet doctor. The first month is free, so if you download all the info you can just cancel the subscription. There is also loads of videos on the site that explain things.

I will be thinking of and will keep you in my prayers.

May I clarify with you @Newyorker if you are saying that diet doctor is your website, or if you know of the the site?

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just updated the original post. The cancer is back and I'm meeting with the surgical team tomorrow to see what can be done.
I think it a huge operation or further chemo but will find out more tomorrow morning.
Still feeling fit and well though.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I've just updated the original post. The cancer is back and I'm meeting with the surgical team tomorrow to see what can be done.
I think it a huge operation or further chemo but will find out more tomorrow morning.
Stay positive and get all the options listed. Hug.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Undoubtedly, that's a blow, @daisyduck . I'll be rooting for you.

Have you started your Keto diet yet, or have you been in the deep plotting phase, until now? I have to say, if I were faced with such a diagnosis, I'd be heading keto. In fact, I'd be going Ninja Keto. That's not a "proper" approach. I just mee, I'd be into it big styleeeeee.

Keep coming here, daisy, I'm positive your web chums here will be keen to support you in whatever way they can.