Deep feet?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I went to the podiatrist for my first routine inspection since being diagnosed T1. Apart from peripheral neuropathy which I knew about, they said my feet were in good nick BUT my boots weren't deep enough.When asked to explain she said it was about how much head room my toes had and said I needed deeper shoes.
She gave me a catalogue for cosyfeet and that was that.
My feet are small, size 4 and very slim and don't swell. I did have something called Moreton's neuroma in one foot a few years ago. I just wonder what all this is about and whether getting these extra deep shoes is really necessary?
Has anyone had to change what they wear on their feet?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Not as a direct cause of any medical condition, however, with a degree of neuropathy I do have to be more careful about properly fitting shoes. I have wide feet and consequently often end up with shoes with lots of room for my toes. This is not always a good thing and with one particular pair of shoes, because my big toes were able to move up and down, they became bruised, almost as if someone had stamped on them.

Cosyfeet are a well known, reputable company, their shoes seem to cater for my wider feet.

Reactions: Freema

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Wow! The Prices @ Cosyfeet!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Not as a direct cause of any medical condition, however, with a degree of neuropathy I do have to be more careful about properly fitting shoes. I have wide feet and consequently often end up with shoes with lots of room for my toes. This is not always a good thing and with one particular pair of shoes, because my big toes were able to move up and down, they became bruised, almost as if someone had stamped on them.

Cosyfeet are a well known, reputable company, their shoes seem to cater for my wider feet.
Thanks @DavidGrahamJones. That's the thing I'm worried about... toes being able to move up and down especially since my feet aren't wide. My reaction to the cost of Cosyfeet @Guzzler was the same and I thought the styles were a bit farty too.

Reactions: flexi06

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks @DavidGrahamJones. That's the thing I'm worried about... toes being able to move up and down especially since my feet aren't wide. My reaction to the cost of Cosyfeet @Guzzler was the same and I thought the styles were a bit farty too.

I'm a grey, wizened old fart but the styles made me think of my Nanna.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a high instep, so usually end up with shoes that fit closely around there, with lots of room in the toe area.
In my experience this is a good thing, because it gives the toes plenty of room, while holding the foot snuggly around the instep and preventing the foot from moving about inside the shoe, which is where the bruising is likely to happen.

Sooooo many different designs of shoe, and different shapes of foot. Makes it very difficult to find what suits us, doesn't it?

My latest passion in footwear is the good ol' Dr Marten. Airwair. Perfect, perfect boots for my feet.
Utter comfort.
And so ladylike. Haha!

Can't believe that I reached my 50s without discoving their delights.
The big worry at the moment is that I will find them too warm for summer use.
Awful thought.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a high instep, so usually end up with shoes that fit closely around there, with lots of room in the toe area.
In my experience this is a good thing, because it gives the toes plenty of room, while holding the foot snuggly around the instep and preventing the foot from moving about inside the shoe, which is where the bruising is likely to happen.

Sooooo many different designs of shoe, and different shapes of foot. Makes it very difficult to find what suits us, doesn't it?

My latest passion in footwear is the good ol' Dr Marten. Airwair. Perfect, perfect boots for my feet.
Utter comfort.
And so ladylike. Haha!

Awful thought.

DR Martens have also invented sandals , they look very Odd , I have seen them at Asos.com

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure her suggestions were only to reduce any risk of bruises and sores if your shoes rub anywhere. What other reason could there be? As long as they don't rub, and cause sores, and as long as you can feel if they rub, I wouldn't worry at all.

My very first foot check was with a podiatrist. (The nurse took over after that). My feet passed with flying colours, even though I have slight chemo-induced neuropathy, but I was still given a leaflet for recommended shoes. I can't remember what they were but I threw it away.

Reactions: Struma

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I need a deep wide toe - sometimes I think that the boxes would be more comfortable than the shoes.
The way that so many shoes are rounded, so that the longest measurement is in the center of the foot - I don't know where the people live who have the longest toe in the middle - but it is not at our house.

Reactions: Dodo and Ixarix

Bea56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went to the podiatrist for my first routine inspection since being diagnosed T1. Apart from peripheral neuropathy which I knew about, they said my feet were in good nick BUT my boots weren't deep enough.When asked to explain she said it was about how much head room my toes had and said I needed deeper shoes.
She gave me a catalogue for cosyfeet and that was that.
My feet are small, size 4 and very slim and don't swell. I did have something called Moreton's neuroma in one foot a few years ago. I just wonder what all this is about and whether getting these extra deep shoes is really necessary?
I usually buy Hotter shoes, as they are very well made and comfortable. Admittedly they're probably not the most stylish but more attractive than Cosyfeet! They normally have a 'sale' and discounted section which have very reasonably priced shoes and boots and they last for years.
I have also had Moreton's Neuroma in the past but I haven't in recent years and I think that wearing well fitting (flat) shoes has helped. Of course, that could just be luck, but I am very glad to be rid of it and I do sympathise with you as it is painful.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SueJB - Do you have a decent Clark's shop where you live?

When I had trimmed up, I noticed some of my shoes were a bit loose, so I asked if I could have my feet measured by the trained fitter at my local shop. They wouldn't do it, because I wasn't a child (I could have obliged by acting in a petulant child manner, but thought the better of it). In the much bigger store, in the out of town store, they obliged with pleasure, and commented it's such a shame more people don't have themselves measured.

You could always take a couple of pairs of your own shoes with you and ask her how they fitted you.

I don't buy any special shoes - except for brands or styles I particularly like, and do seem to fit me well, but I also have "good feet".

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I'm sure her suggestions were only to reduce any risk of bruises and sores if your shoes rub anywhere. What other reason could there be? As long as they don't rub, and cause sores, and as long as you can feel if they rub, I wouldn't worry at all.

My very first foot check was with a podiatrist. (The nurse took over after that). My feet passed with flying colours, even though I have slight chemo-induced neuropathy, but I was still given a leaflet for recommended shoes. I can't remember what they were but I threw it away.
Thanks @Bluetit1802 That's what I was sort of thinking. I've got happy feet so why recommend shoes suitable for my long dead nain

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Utter comfort.
And so ladylike. Haha!

Awful thought.

And they wear out much quicker than I would like personally. Even at the doc shop prices (outlet store in Northampton)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I usually buy Hotter shoes, as they are very well made and comfortable. Admittedly they're probably not the most stylish but more attractive than Cosyfeet! They normally have a 'sale' and discounted section which have very reasonably priced shoes and boots and they last for years.
I have also had Moreton's Neuroma in the past but I haven't in recent years and I think that wearing well fitting (flat) shoes has helped. Of course, that could just be luck, but I am very glad to be rid of it and I do sympathise with you as it is painful.
Thanks @Bea56 I had the horrid injection for the neuroma and, touch wood, it hasn't reoccurred but the podiatrist said it could and also move to the other foot to. I've always worn flat shoes that fit well and have unsquashed toes....... glee. I also wear Hotter and they're good. I just couldn't get my head round the idea of depth in the toes.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And they wear out much quicker than I would like personally. Even at the doc shop prices (outlet store in Northampton)

Yes, production for most DMs has now moved to China, I understand, with different qualities from the UK and Chinese factories.

It will be very interesting to see how long mine last. I am so in love with them that they have been worn nearly every day.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
DR Martens have also invented sandals , they look very Odd , I have seen them at Asos.com
Well, would you look at these? definitely in crisis, doesn't know whether to be fluffy or heavy. Yuk
23805690.jpg