Advice for GP appointment

Dexie1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I’m due to see my GP tomorrow to ask to be tested for diabetes (hba1c). I suspect I’m pre-diabetic. I’ve been recording my fasting BG all week (5.5, 5.8, 7.3, 5.6, 5.8, 6.8, 6) plus a couple of 2hour post meals. I’ve been using the glucorx nexus which is the one NHS use.

I’m worried I’m going to be fobbed off by the doctor. Is there anything that I can say or ask to make sure I get the right tests/advice/treatment? I was going to ask for a referral to a dietician as well. Not sure if that would be standard though?

Thanks in advance

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Why do you suspect? Have you been tested before?

Dexie1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Never been tested before (apart from couple of random BG tests a few years apart at health check ups for life insurance etc) but never came up high back then. I was unwell a couple of weeks ago and I gues started paying more attention to my body. Noticed I was thirsty and drinking more. Plus I’m obese and my waist circumference isn’t great. I don’t eat any fruit/veg/salad so basically live off carbs (the bad kind) and protein. I’m nearly 40. Don’t exercise near enough as I should. My dad is type 2 and my paternal grandad was type 2. I’m surprised I’ve not developed full blown T2 sooner. Started doing the fasting BG tests this week and they’re in the prediabetes range...

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I think just tell the GP that. You can ask for dietician but will likely just get told to eat more veg!

Dexie1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. The ‘just eat more veg’ isn’t going to work. I’m actually phobic about it! As in retch and gag any time I try to eat it. I know it is completely psychological as I don’t mind the taste of most things but can’t stand the texture. So it becomes a vicious cycle. I’m looking in to counselling/therapy to try and break it. I know I need to make dietary changes but the thought of it actually is causing me more distress than the worry of possibly developing diabetes! It’s really debilitating some times.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
How are you with meat/fish/dairy? If they are OK then LCHF may help you.

Dexie1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No fish but chicken and meat and dairy are fine. Been trying to follow a LCHF diet loosely this week. And managed some carrot ‘fries’ and sweet potato. I can manage veg soup if blended well. So slowly making changes. Also trying to incorporate some more physical activity every day. Despite being obese I am actually quite fit. Ok I can’t run a marathon but I can walk fast for well over 30 min. Probably 45 min or more if I tried. I’ve joined the low carb program to educate myself as well.

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Diakat

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you're right to be making changes to diet and activity levels on your own even if the Dr does blow you off. Good for you!
On the veg front, have you tried courgette noodles yet? I sautee them and find them a remarkably good substitution for spaghetti.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Dexie1 and welcome to the forum. Tell your gp of your worries, and that there is Type 2 diabetes in your family. You say you are obese so your gp should take your concerns seriously. My gp wanted me to see a dietitian when I was overweight, not obese, but I couldn't go as the appointments were during my working times.
Your gp might do the finger prick test at the appointment, or refer you to the practice nurse to do it. If you are referred for a full HbA1c blood test, ask for a printout of the results if you don't have online access to your medical test results.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hope all goes well.

Dexie1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the doctor was less than helpful. She made me feel like an inconvenience. She wanted me to book an appointment with the nurse for blood test (hba1c) but I said no I would rather have it done this morning since that’s why I was there. So she grudgingly did it. She didn’t bother with a finger prick test. Hardly made eye contact with me even when I was getting a bit teary about it.

Sorry rant over. I’ve to phone back on Wednesday for results. She checked my blood pressure as well which was fine thankfully and took blood to test cholesterol too

Reactions: Prem51

Dexie1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Awe thanks for the kind words and encouragement contralto. It has been a massive wake up call for me. Even if my a1c comes back in normal range I am still going to make the changes as my life style to now and current weight and family history makes me a prime target for T2. And you’re right this forum has been great so far!

Reactions: cmor16 and Prem51

Dexie1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys. Got my results back today and my hba1c came back 33! I am still a bit worried that my fasting bg is hovering between 5.5&6 so going low carb and hoping it’ll bring that level down a bit too.

Thanks for your help and support

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good result there @Dexie1, well done! Low carbing should help with your fbgs, though they are good, and should also help with weight loss.

Dexie1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry never typed there - what should my fbg be ideally?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry never typed there - what should my fbg be ideally?
For a non-diabetic it should be 4.0-5.9.

Screenshot 2018-04-26 at 14.05.39.png

Dexie1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Would the higher end not be classed as prediabetes though?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Would the higher end not be classed as prediabetes though?
If your HbA1c is 33 you are not pre-diabetic. It's a very good figure.
Non-diabetic is below 42, pre-diabetic is 42-47, diabetic is 48 and above.
Your fbgs are good, and morning fasting figures are often higher anyway because of 'Dawn Phenomenon' which happens to non-diabetics too.
DP is where your liver dumps stored glucose into your blood as you wake to get you going.

Reactions: dbr10

Dexie1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So am I better trusted the a1c one score as opposed to fbg? This morning it was 6.3 on waking despite having a low carb day yesterday...