Waist dilemma

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
I have one of those Diabetic Tape Measures ... you know ... the ones with Asian on the one side and European on the other.
I find that it never seems to shift out of the 'pink' zone ... although I'm never in the red zone.
According to that, it seems I need to lose an inch and a half to clear the pink zone but it never seems to budge!
I am 5ft3and a half (cannot forget the half) and weigh exactly 10st so my BMI is just under 24
Has anybody got tips to get that tape measure into the white for me please?
Maybe I should buy a hoop (lol)

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have one of those Diabetic Tape Measures ... you know ... the ones with Asian on the one side and European on the other.
I find that it never seems to shift out of the 'pink' zone ... although I'm never in the red zone.
According to that, it seems I need to lose an inch and a half to clear the pink zone but it never seems to budge!
I am 5ft3and a half (cannot forget the half) and weigh exactly 10st so my BMI is just under 24

I'd get as many tape measures as I could, of all nationalities, and use the one which gave me the best results :)

Reactions: EllieM and Prem51

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

@Mal37

I have a similar thing, my waist is a previously unheard of (for me ;) ) 32.5 inches now, I'm 5 ft 4 inches and I've got my BMI down to 25.2, which my doctor is very happy about, having lost more than half my original body weight from when I was diagnosed :) she's quite happy with me at my current weight and doesn't think I should be trying to get it down any further. I do get a reasonable amount of exercise too.

but - I don't think that my waist is going to get any smaller, I'm short waisted and don't have a long gap between the bottom of my rib cage and the top of my hip bones, it's just how the shape of my body frame is. I have a bit of spare skin from the weight loss but I'm not going to get too stressed about what is a general guideline.

Stand in front of a mirror in your undies and take a good look, it may be that your body frame/shape doesn't lend itself to a smaller waist either :)

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
@Mal37

I have a similar thing, my waist is a previously unheard of (for me ;) ) 32.5 inches now, I'm 5 ft 4 inches and I've got my BMI down to 25.2, which my doctor is very happy about, having lost more than half my original body weight from when I was diagnosed :) she's quite happy with me at my current weight and doesn't think I should be trying to get it down any further. I do get a reasonable amount of exercise too.

but - I don't think that my waist is going to get any smaller, I'm short waisted and don't have a long gap between the bottom of my rib cage and the top of my hip bones, it's just how the shape of my body frame is. I have a bit of spare skin from the weight loss but I'm not going to get too stressed about what is a general guideline.

Stand in front of a mirror in your undies and take a good look, it may be that your body frame/shape doesn't lend itself to a smaller waist either :)
You may be right but the fact is that I have only ever been 14 pounds above my 'now' weight in my whole life, so I just think my waist is the reason for my Type 2 ? I have never smoked, don't drink, don't have diabetes in the family etc, so it doesn't make sense to me that I've got it! Very strange

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
You may be right but the fact is that I have only ever been 14 pounds above my 'now' weight in my whole life, so I just think my waist is the reason for my Type 2 ? I have never smoked, don't drink, don't have diabetes in the family etc, so it doesn't make sense to me that I've got it! Very strange

There is a category of "Thin on the outside fat on the inside" where all the stored fat goes around your internal organs, which makes your waist bigger.

If you are in that category then your BMI may have to be in the middle of the green or even towards the lower end to clear that stubborn stored fat from around the liver and the pancreas.

At the moment it doesn't seem to be standard to measure visceral fat and I have no idea how accurate those fancy bathroom scales are,

Reactions: Mal37

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
There is a category of "Thin on the outside fat on the inside" where all the stored fat goes around your internal organs, which makes your waist bigger.

If you are in that category then your BMI may have to be in the middle of the green or even towards the lower end to clear that stubborn stored fat from around the liver and the pancreas.

At the moment it doesn't seem to be standard to measure visceral fat and I have no idea how accurate those fancy bathroom scales are,
LittleGreyCat, I have one of those bodies that is top heavy, I would say that I am a size 14 (UK) top half yet only a size 10 bottom half. I have the tiniest hips and slim legs. I need to lose from just the top or I will be sliding down drains! Hee hee

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous

I have this problem. I too am 5ft 3 (and 3/5"), I was 10st 4lb at my absolute heaviest and I accumulate weight in my middle. My HbA1c has fallen from 108 to 54, but if I want to improve it further, I'm going to have to go from 9st 5lb to a weight that is at the lower end of a healthy BMI, -probably a bit below 8st 7lb.

D

Deleted Account

Many people experience inch loss without weight loss when they start exercising.
More cardio certainly breaks down far and lays on muscle which can result in toning.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Personally, I never spent a lot of time thinking about waist measurements, but in terms of body shape, when I rimmed up, I stayed the same sort of almost column shape I'd always been. However, one day I noticed that my waist had got slimmer, but that was when I was already very slight. I'm 160cm/5ft 3in, and weight 48kg/7st 7lb, so a compact little person.

If I were to go for a measurement of waist, I'd prefer the height/2 as being about right. All that needs is a piece of string.

Reactions: Mal37

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
Personally, I never spent a lot of time thinking about waist measurements, but in terms of body shape, when I rimmed up, I stayed the same sort of almost column shape I'd always been. However, one day I noticed that my waist had got slimmer, but that was when I was already very slight. I'm 160cm/5ft 3in, and weight 48kg/7st 7lb, so a compact little person.

If I were to go for a measurement of waist, I'd prefer the height/2 as being about right. All that needs is a piece of string.
DCUK you weigh exactly what I did right through until I had my children! I couldn't put weight ON until then. I gained half a stone with each pregnancy (first two) and then a stone after my last oone , which kept creeping slowly up over the years. I know I was too skinny originally as my arms were hairy, but my ideal weight I reckon would be 9st now.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many people experience inch loss without weight loss when they start exercising.
More cardio certainly breaks down far and lays on muscle which can result in toning.
If the person is diabetic then the problem whether they are fat or thin is that they are storing excess fat on their inside to a level which their metabolism cannot tolerate. If the person is not overweight but just happens to carry the fat in that area then I'd suggest that increasing muscle mass would be the answer. The best way to do this would be by doing some HIGH INTENSITY INTERVAL TRAINING for their cardio with some weight training (chest, shoulders, back and legs i.e. big muscles) to help be more insulin sensitive. General cardio (walking, cycling, running) will temporarily use up glucose stores in muscles (good) but also make you hungrier and not make you more insulin sensitive (still better than doing nothing obviously). If you imagine sprinters (short bursts of cardio = muscular) versus long distance runners (very lean but nor muscular) this illustrates the point.