Type 2 Mushy peas and wonky conflicting readings:

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
I had fish with mushy peas for lunch from the local chippy, thinking I'd be safe without the chips. 70 mins later I checked my BS levels and got a 10.5 reading which is very high for me, I checked again immediately using a finger from my other hand and it registered 8.5, checked again on the same finger I got the 10.5 reading and it was 7.5!!?? I have a Nexus Gluco Rx, is it time to get a better meter? (I did change my lancet each time).

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had fish with mushy peas for lunch from the local chippy, thinking I'd be safe without the chips. 70 mins later I checked my BS levels and got a 10.5 reading which is very high for me, I checked again immediately using a finger from my other hand and it registered 8.5, checked again on the same finger I got the 10.5 reading and it was 7.5!!?? I have a Nexus Gluco Rx, is it time to get a better meter? (I did change my lancet each time).
Hi there,

One question, did the fish have batter on it?, if so that is likely to be the culprit. Batter on the fish is high carb and exacerbated by the type of fat it is cooked in. I can estimate the fish was at least 30 carbs. I tried it once and my levels stayed high all day (and into the next), it is like pizza, it's a gift that just keeps on giving.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would add to what @KK123 said by saying the mushy peas are also carb-heavy. unless you make them yourself from dried peas. (which is what I do). Chippy/restaurant peas often have added sugar.

Batter or peas may be more reasonable, but not both together.

When I have a chippy fish I scrape the batter off. A quick slice and scrape with a knife and it's gone.

No need to mistrust your meter.

D

Deleted Account

I am a little confused what the OP is asking.
Is the "wonky reading" that it was higher than expected ... which, I think has been answered ... or why the meter seemed to come up with value ranging from 7.5 to 10.5?

Regarding the varied readings, this could be something on your fingers that was picked up on your first reading or a rare meter hiccup.
All meters have similar accuracy so others are no more likely to be "correct" unless you carry a laboratory around with you.

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
Hi there,

One question, did the fish have batter on it?, if so that is likely to be the culprit. Batter on the fish is high carb and exacerbated by the type of fat it is cooked in. I can estimate the fish was at least 30 carbs. I tried it once and my levels stayed high all day (and into the next), it is like pizza, it's a gift that just keeps on giving.

Thanks for that info, I didn't take into account the batter. I'll stick to poached Salmon. I'm still puzzled about the different readings, how accurate is my meter?

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
I would add to what @KK123 said by saying the mushy peas are also carb-heavy. unless you make them yourself from dried peas. (which is what I do). Chippy/restaurant peas often have added sugar.

Batter or peas may be more reasonable, but not both together.

When I have a chippy fish I scrape the batter off. A quick slice and scrape with a knife and it's gone.

No need to mistrust your meter.

I mistrust my meter because it gave three different readings within a few minutes. I'll be giving fried fish a wide girth, not much point in buying if I have to scrape that lovely crunchy batter off!

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
I am a little confused what the OP is asking.
Is the "wonky reading" that it was higher than expected ... which, I think has been answered ... or why the meter seemed to come up with value ranging from 7.5 to 10.5?

Regarding the varied readings, this could be something on your fingers that was picked up on your first reading or a rare meter hiccup.
All meters have similar accuracy so others are no more likely to be "correct" unless you carry a laboratory around with you.

I get your point, I didn't wash my hands before taking the reading, and I had been in the kitchen cutting up an apple before I tested. The mushy peas may well have had sugar added, they were gorgeous!

Reactions: Kim Possible

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As you did not wash your hands before testing, you cannot blame your meter ... it was human error! :)

sugarshy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Walking past cake shops
As you did not wash your hands before testing, you cannot blame your meter ... it was human error! :)

Hi, yes its been over 4 weeks, sorry for the delay! I'm still puzzled why I can take consecutive readings within minutes and they are quite different. Its over two hours since I've eaten....1st reading 5.00 then the next a minute later 6.5. I don't usually do this, I was just curious, too much time on my hands!:bored:

I guess blood sugar levels are in a constant state of flux?

P

pollensa

To my knowledge, peas are a no no for many if not all, its one of the veggies on the EAT MODERATE list, so that may be the cause, I did not know this until I was informed, I since stopped eating them altogether. Its like fruit I was naive also often eating and blending for smoothies, tropical pineapple, banana, paw paw mango, kiwi, healthy healthy not to be....infact, I was preparing myself a cocktail of unhealthy sugars, and actually the first day I had an on spot finger test for sugar after doing a healthy walk of 5klm for breakfast I had a cocktail of fruits in blender, as the chemist informed, your sugars are high because of this, I did not dare tell her, for three days previous, I had been doing the same for breakfast and lunch.....so we all learn dont we....

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I regularly eat peas, beans (not baked), lentils and similar as part of my moderately low carb diet. I find I am ok if the portions are not too large. I really like marrowfat peas, mushy or otherwise but I haven't had any since diagnosis as they were too carby on the tin. I have never tried making them from dried, how big a portion can you cope with @Bluetit1802 and do you have any tips about preparing them?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I regularly eat peas, beans (not baked), lentils and similar as part of my moderately low carb diet. I find I am ok if the portions are not too large. I really like marrowfat peas, mushy or otherwise but I haven't had any since diagnosis as they were too carby on the tin. I have never tried making them from dried, how big a portion can you cope with @Bluetit1802 and do you have any tips about preparing them?

We have always made our own marrowfat mushies. Soak the peas overnight in cold water and some bicarb. Next day, drain off all the water and rinse. Add some fresh water (salted if you wish), bring to the boil, then simmer until soft. Never let them boil over or they will split open, just a gentle simmer. We tend to remove them from the hob before they are fully cooked and decant the whole lot (including the hot water) to a vacuum flask to finish off cooking. They can then stay in the flask until you are ready to eat them - just heat up again in microwave or whatever. The vacuum flask is not necessary, but we find it convenient. Just make sure it is an old flask and not one you want to use on a picnic. Coffee tastes of peas. :arghh: Home made are a trillion times better than tinned, and also a million times better than chippy peas as sometimes sugar is added.

Portion size is individual - needs testing!

I am also fine with frozen garden peas, and happily a tablespoon of baked beans with fry ups. (The beans were not always fine. It is something I have been able to add back since normalising my blood sugars.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have always made our own marrowfat mushies. Soak the peas overnight in cold water and some bicarb. Next day, drain off all the water and rinse. Add some fresh water (salted if you wish), bring to the boil, then simmer until soft. Never let them boil over or they will split open, just a gentle simmer. We tend to remove them from the hob before they are fully cooked and decant the whole lot (including the hot water) to a vacuum flask to finish off cooking. They can then stay in the flask until you are ready to eat them - just heat up again in microwave or whatever. The vacuum flask is not necessary, but we find it convenient. Just make sure it is an old flask and not one you want to use on a picnic. Coffee tastes of peas. :arghh: Home made are a trillion times better than tinned, and also a million times better than chippy peas as sometimes sugar is added.

Portion size is individual - needs testing!

I am also fine with frozen garden peas, and happily a tablespoon of baked beans with fry ups. (The beans were not always fine. It is something I have been able to add back since normalising my blood sugars.
Thanks, they would do nicely to go with cod which I bake in the oven with a Parmesan crust rather than taking the batter off chippy fish and run the risk of "accidentally" eating some.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All I can say on this thread is..... how do you eat mushy peas? I think they are gross! :hungover::yuck::depressed:
I’m ok with a small portion of garden peas :hungry:

P

pollensa

I mistrust my meter because it gave three different readings within a few minutes. I'll be giving fried fish a wide girth, not much point in buying if I have to scrape that lovely crunchy batter off!
I have been explained that the first draw of blood can give one reading, the next draw another and if you do a third again different, whether your using the same meter or different. If I use one lancing device, and test, and then immediately after use my Genteel lancing device there is always a difference of readings, the same in a chemist, sometimes the can take a test, and wish to re run again, and same thing, first is different to the second. this may also give insight of may may not be the problem hope info helps solve?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All I can say on this thread is..... how do you eat mushy peas? I think they are gross! :hungover::yuck::depressed:
50 years ago I was a student in Bradford, and we used to get pie and peas, from not surprisingly, pie and peas shops. It was not as you might imagine a steak pie on one side of a plate and peas on the other but a pork pie in a bowl surrounded by mushy peas which soaked into the pie pastry - one of my favorites, especially after several pints of Webster's Stone Trough Ales. I hope they both still exist.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I am Lancashire born and bred. They have always been a staple. My most favourite meal ever was onion pie covered in sloppy mushy peas (always home made), and some vinegar, and a slice of bread and butter. The onion pie (just onions and pastry) was delicious. I agree that tinned and those you get in restaurants/cafes can be very gross.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
50 years ago I was a student in Bradford, and we used to get pie and peas, from not surprisingly, pie and peas shops. It was not as you might imagine a steak pie on one side of a plate and peas on the other but a pork pie in a bowl surrounded by mushy peas which soaked into the pie pastry - one of my favorites, especially after several pints of Webster's Stone Trough Ales. I hope they both still exist.

Agreed. Pie and peas was always a staple food in pubs. People laughed at me when I was dieting (years ago) as I used to drink slimline bitter lemon and then stuff myself with pie and peas. The pie always in a bowl soaked with the liquid from the peas. My mouth is watering. They are still served in the old fashioned traditional pubs in Lancashire.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@sugarshy I’m sorry for derailing your thread by stating my dislike of mushy peas! I seemed to have started a mushy pea nostalgia conversation! :joyful::hilarious:

Reactions: Bluetit1802