NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m curious to know which home test kit do you use to measure HBA1C and is it accurate?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've used A1CNow: http://www.ptsdiagnostics.com/a1cnow-plus.html

It was accurate the one time I compared a result to the lab result taken at the same time.

I don't think there are any other HbA1C home kits.
A1cnow which I'm hoping is accurate as the readings are going in the right direction....down to 37 from 62 in 8th December. I will find out just how accurate it's readings are in a couple of weeks when my DN does my bloods. I will report back!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the A1cNow kits too, and have done, since diagnosis. I have also "calibrated" on a couple of ocassions and found them accurate, to within 0.1% of venous blood drawn at the same time.

Some people report issues using the kits (it is a a very specific process), but to date, I haven't had any tests fail.

There are a couple of places selling them:

http://www.millermedicalsupplies.co...a1c-and-diabetes-monitoring-10-test-kit-17190

or:

https://www.bhr.co.uk/home-user-products/a1cnow-2

BHR no longer supply 10 test kits to individuals, which is a shame, as they were always cheaper than Miller.

D

Deleted member 308541

I do not use anything like that to test my hba1c, I have the patience to wait for three months to pass before I go to the pathology shop for a shed load of blood tests.

Qghrums.jpg

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't trust these if I were you. I've never used them myself but heard from others that they were generally disappointing.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I have the patience to wait for three months to pass before I go to the pathology shop for a shed load of blood tests.

I expect most people in the UK would be happy to wait 3 months, after all, it's a test that is meant to reflect the previous 8 - 12 weeks (depends on source). Would you have the patience to wait a year? I personally get an annual HbA1C from the NHS, I believe others in the UK may get more frequent tests, depends on the circumstances and also seems to be a bit of a post code lottery. If, like me, someone only gets an annual HbA1c, I think it's perfectly understandable to want to know their HbA1c, maybe even as frequent as every three months, and that has nothing to do with being patient.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've used it (the two-pack). The first time the reading was 34 (!!), the second a month after at 40, which was done after a lab result of 44. I had no trouble using the kit - it seemed straightforward and easy to use. I'll perhaps purchase another kit when I have the three-month test at the GPs as it's a double-check thing for me, not impatience, especially given that the lab hbA1c can be out by a percentage or so (thanks for the info that @Bluetit1802 and others posted).

Edited to add: my two-pack was a present! (I have strange but great friends....) I still might buy one to check in three months' time as I like the 'back up' feeling. My phone and tablet are far too ancient to download the MySugr app, unfortunately, so this is a cheaper option!

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m happy with the accuracy of the MySugr app. Even the free app gives an estimated HbA1c which to date I’ve found to be within 1 or 2 of the lab results. I’ve just gone from 3 to 6 monthly tests and did consider getting the A1c Now test but I really can’t justify the high cost.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Hmmm interesting, please somebody with expert knowledge correct me if I'm wrong, but is not the frequency of test based on the life of the red blood cells ? I have been told just recently by a practice GP that the life is approx' 180 days and yesterday at the hospital diabetic clinic where I saw the consultant that the life span is approximately 3 months and any tests done more frequently than that are a waste and will only show the previous reading.

A little awkward for me as I have 2 hospitals wanting blood tests including the A1c, then the hospital diabetic clinic plus the GP's.

My conclusion for my own reference would be interesting, but ultimately a waste of my time and money.

Reactions: Hwad and gillytee31

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm interesting, please somebody with expert knowledge correct me if I'm wrong, but is not the frequency of test based on the life of the red blood cells ? I have been told just recently by a practice GP that the life is approx' 180 days and yesterday at the hospital diabetic clinic where I saw the consultant that the life span is approximately 3 months and any tests done more frequently than that are a waste and will only show the previous reading.

A little awkward for me as I have 2 hospitals wanting blood tests including the A1c, then the hospital diabetic clinic plus the GP's.

My conclusion for my own reference would be interesting, but ultimately a waste of my time and money.

Alf if you have a bit of a chat with Dr Google, I'm sure he will display plenty of graphs illustrating the lifespans of the blood cells. Like all other things, it varies from person to person for probably as many resaons as there are people.

However, when studies have been done into HbA1cs and their frequency, versus lifespan of blood cells, the studies show that whils we are told the H1A1c shows us our three month average, the number returned is not a straight line, but is significantly impacted by the most recent weeks, prior to test. This is one reason some folks, when they have a follow up HbA1c, say a month after diagnosis, notice quite a shift in the numbers, but that percentage shift doesn't reflect in their subsequent 3 month test.

Some enlightened Docs are now retesting newly diagnoses folks more frequently than 3 months, with a GP I know routinely testing at 6 weeks post-diagnosis.

Of course some would say that makes the HbA1c easy to fudge, to a degree, but that's just how it is.

I'm rather tied up in other things at the moment to look up the various studies, but they are out there, and indeed there has been a fair amount of discussion on tis very topic on the forum, over time.

@phdiabetic - Obviously we all must deceide which tests and which methods of management we will apply to our diabetes, butone comment I will say is that for me, they A1cNow tests have always been very accurate, versus venous blood tests.

On the other hand both my test meter and the Libre suggest my HbA1cs should be returning at between 19 and 21, whereas my venous tests for the last three years have been 30-33, time in, time out.

At the end of the day, we need to gather the data around us and learn from it.

Reactions: Sue192

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Alf if you have a bit of a chat with Dr Google, I'm sure he will display plenty of graphs illustrating the lifespans of the blood cells. Like all other things, it varies from person to person for probably as many resaons as there are people.

However, when studies have been done into HbA1cs and their frequency, versus lifespan of blood cells, the studies show that whils we are told the H1A1c shows us our three month average, the number returned is not a straight line, but is significantly impacted by the most recent weeks, prior to test. This is one reason some folks, when they have a follow up HbA1c, say a month after diagnosis, notice quite a shift in the numbers, but that percentage shift doesn't reflect in their subsequent 3 month test.

Some enlightened Docs are now retesting newly diagnoses folks more frequently than 3 months, with a GP I know routinely testing at 6 weeks post-diagnosis.

Of course some would say that makes the HbA1c easy to fudge, to a degree, but that's just how it is.

I'm rather tied up in other things at the moment to look up the various studies, but they are out there, and indeed there has been a fair amount of discussion on tis very topic on the forum, over time.

@phdiabetic - Obviously we all must deceide which tests and which methods of management we will apply to our diabetes, butone comment I will say is that for me, they A1cNow tests have always been very accurate, versus venous blood tests.

On the other hand both my test meter and the Libre suggest my HbA1cs should be returning at between 19 and 21, whereas my venous tests for the last three years have been 30-33, time in, time out.

At the end of the day, we need to gather the data around us and learn from it.

Thanks for the reply. Researching via Google or the internet can be a tricky one, for serious information I personally avoid wikipedia but that's just me. Over the years I have seen the time interval for A1c tests go from 4 weeks ( back in 2001 ) to as of yesterday 3 months.

Yes we must extract the information that is relevant to our situation and learn from it. Once again thanks.

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone, How are you all feeling on this day , as good as you expect to be I hope? Well I wish to ask the members of the Forum what is the normal or average level of a HbA1C Blood test if taken every 3 to 6 months, Is there a time period one should stick to? I thank you in advance for any response to my request for information, Thank You!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@NewTD2 I have some results for you. They don't show my a1cnow up in a good light!

Home a1c test 5/5 = 37 (delighted)
Surgery a1c 14/5 = 41 (delighted as down from February's 47 but disappointed as I was expecting it to be lower obviously)
Home a1c test done to compare on 15/5 (the day I got my results) and it showed a reading if 44!!!!
I've resorted to mysugr with help to get going from @Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@NewTD2 I have some results for you. They don't show my a1cnow up in a good light!

Surgery a1c 14/5 = 41 (delighted as down from February's 47 but disappointed as I was expecting it to be lower obviously)
Home a1c test done to compare on 15/5 (the day I got my results) and it showed a reading if 44!!!!

MySugr is certainly a lot cheaper! Especially if you stick to the free version like I do! I hope it works out reasonable accurate for you too.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

So which reading was more accurate?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Gosh, that's disappointing for you.

It's interesting. My HbA1cs are never anywhere close to the averages my meter or the Libre data suggest. For example, the Libre traces suggest my HbA1c should be 19-21 (I'm looking at data from several), whereas my lowest lab test was the most recent at 30. Prior to that I'd be 31-33 for a couple of years. The A1cNow has always been +/-0.1%, and I've done a few of those on the days my lab bloods have been drawn.

Just goes to show how different we are.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was testing more frequently I was using @andcol spreadsheet thing and it predicted by HbA1c almost exactly over 3 different tests. (Over about a 6 month timespan)