Xenical

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do you all think of Xenical?
My doctor wants me to take it, plus increase my metformin up to twice daily ( 2 x 500mg)
This was in my original hospital letter from the endocrinologist, who I was receiving treatment from for another condition I had.
They stated my level was - after fasting then a glucose drink was - was 13 mmol

I’ve been on just 1 x 500mg metformin ( not increased as asked) and have been on very low carbohydrate diet ( under 20g sugar) Atkins style and within 14 - 17 days my fasting blood glucose levels have been around 5.1 - 5.6 ( my dn gave me a meter - )

I was eating tons of carbohydrates before, no one ever mentioned to me how many carbohydrates I was consuming or asked what my diet was :/

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven’t taken Xenicol myself. However are you loosing weight on low carb and Metformin? I’ve lost over 5 1/2 stone on low carb and Metformin 3 x 500 per day.
Xenicol, I’ve heard is pretty horrible to take. If you are already losing weight why does your dr want you to take it?

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox I am obese. I was 118kg when she wrote the letter. I have since lost weight. About a stone. So maybe her advice in the letter to my GP won’t apply now.

Well done for losing 5 1/2 stone!!! That’s amazing! You must feel so much better :)

So metformin is good then? I worry that it will mess my organs up as it stops you producing insulin or something?!
I’ve used Xenical in the past - and it is nasty probably would only take it if I had a very high fat meal - just don’t want it to mess up my bg!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Metformin does not stop you producing insulin neither does it mess up your organs.
It is a mild appetite suppressant and can help with excessive glucose produced by the liver and is considered to be a safe drug which has been around for a long time.
Having said all that, Metformin has only minimal effects on blood glucose levels, lowering the amount of carbohydrates in your diet has a much greater affect on weight and on overall health as @Rachox has said.

Reactions: rom35 and Rachox

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Petaluk hello. Things may have changed since I took xenical about 4 years ago but it reacted to fat you had eaten which resulted in awful stomach effects. I was eating more carbohydrates as I couldn't eat fats as you need to fill up on something. I was diagnosed with diabetes soon after. I felt that the xenical just tipped the balance for me.
If you are losing weight with low carb and are offered the slow release metformin it sounds good to me. Many of us have lost weight like that.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Xenical is nasty stuff. My husband was prescribed it for a few years after being diagnosed and he had a miserable time. Eat any more than a speck of fat and you end up having a lost of messy, oily accidents and anal leakage.

He was particularly upset one Greek holiday when, three mornings running, he ended up washing the sheets in our villa as he was too ashamed and embarrassed to let the cleaning maids see the mess. He ate a lot of bread and salad on that holiday and wouldn't touch anything that had had oil near it. I felt so sorry for him.

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin actually has other benefits too, aside from helping Diabetes, have a read here:
http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2001/9/report_metformin/Page-01
Even though my blood sugars are now at non diabetic levels now, I am only considering reducing it, I won’t stop taking it altogether.
Wow - amazing information.
I think I will increase my dose to 1000mg as advised by the endo doc,and see how I get on.
My weight loss has stalled :(
But in saying that I’ve not been as active - I hurt my knee a year ago and it’s starting playing up today grrr
Had a bad weekend - the diagnosis is still sinking in - no more McDonalds, pizza or getting drunk ever again boohoo